Sponsored Content
Special Forums News, Links, Events and Announcements Sun says Open Source Solaris is coming Post 51831 by norsk hedensk on Wednesday 2nd of June 2004 10:03:37 PM
Old 06-02-2004
its nice to see the direction the big companies are going in. IBM with its linux support, and this.

the math department chairguy at my school who stepped into my c++ class a year ago said something that disturbed me. he said, write good code, then use really obscure variable names and make your code hard to read once youre done writing your program, so no one will be able to copy your code ever.

yeah thats productive. make it impossible to maintain, and never ever try to help others, or even give others a CHANCE to improve upon what youve done. i see his point, but that is the entirely wrong approach.

hopefully with moves like this people will see that you can STILL make money while writing open source software.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris open source database and graphing

All, I am looking for some open source database and graphing software to plot some MIB performance data on a Solaris server. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubba112557
0 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Sun Solaris and Open Solaris?

What is the major difference between Sun Solaris 10 and Open Solaris? I believe both are free now, is that true? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yipster
3 Replies
clprivnet(7)					     Sun Cluster Device and Network Interfaces					      clprivnet(7)

NAME
clprivnet - SUNW,clprivnet Sun Cluster private network driver SYNOPSIS
/dev/clprivnet DESCRIPTION
Note - Beginning with the Sun Cluster 3.2 release, Sun Cluster software includes an object-oriented command set. Although Sun Cluster software still supports the original command set, Sun Cluster procedural documentation uses only the object-oriented command set. For more infor- mation about the object-oriented command set, see the Intro(1CL) man page. The SUNW,clprivnet Sun Cluster private network driver is a STREAMS pseudo driver supporting Sun Cluster resident applications that use standard Solaris interfaces to communicate over the Sun Cluster private network. By striping data traffic over all links, this driver opti- mally utilizes the bandwidth of the private network while supporting highly available, software fault-tolerant communication. APPLICATION PROGRAMMING INTERFACE
The driver is supported by the character-special device /dev/clprivnet, but is reserved for Sun Cluster internal operation and the standard Solaris network utilities. This interface must not be directly used for general application communication. ADMINISTRATION
The administration and configuration of the driver as a network interface is done completely by the Sun Cluster infrastructure internals. FILES
/dev/clprivnet clprivnet special character device /usr/kernel/drv/clprivnet.conf System-wide default device driver properties Sun Cluster 3.2 05 Sep 2007 clprivnet(7)