Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers stdin not tty when try to pine or redirect Post 51462 by Perderabo on Thursday 20th of May 2004 02:58:15 PM
Old 05-20-2004
Some programs check their stdin and will complain if it's not a tty. That is just the way they work.

Your supervisor must either not redirect or use a different program.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect STDIN

can you redirect STDIN with command arguments? I have tried this approach: # ./script -option <argument1> <argument2> 0<$2 # $2: ambiguous redirect Is this possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
4 Replies

2. Programming

Redirect stdin and out to sockets

For windows was pretty simple to redirect the std in a and out of a child process for "cmd.exe " command prompt terminal to a socket using connected pipes passed to a new process in the STARTUPINFO structure. BOOL b = ::CreatePipe((LPHANDLE)h_stdInRead,(LPHANDLE)hsdtInWriteTmp, &SecAttrib,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gyula
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

inline redirect stdin

Hi: I have the next script on ksh #!/usr/bin/ksh cd $FUENTES qdesign <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/qtp <<-! \$/opt/cognos/ph843e/bin/quiz <<-! ! ! ! This script is very simple, i want to nest three process quiz into qtp, and this into qdesign. When I run it , i receive the next... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ct2marer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script

I am unable to use STDIn redirection with < (commands) When I do the following, both approaches work and give the same results: 1. $ printf "aaa\nbbb\n" > file1 $ printf "111\n222\n" > file2 $ cat file1 file2 aaa bbb 111 2222. $ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n") aaa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
8 Replies

6. Solaris

Command to redirect console to my tty?

Is there a utility built into Solaris that will allow me to see console messages from a tty? I've done a search and see that this is possible through software like ILOM, but I'm looking for a method to do this with built in utilities. For example, on AIX, I can use swcons `tty` (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: makodarear
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect stdin stdout to multiple files

Hi, i know how to a) redirect stdout and stderr to one file, b) and write to two files concurrently with same output using tee command Now, i want to do both the above together. I have a script and it should write both stdout and stderr in one file and also write the same content to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect String to STDIN

Looking for the proper way to bring a string into the stdin. I have a string that I would like to grep and awk. Each have to be run separately, not piped together. So far, the only way I could figure out how is to echo the string and pipe it: echo 'This is my string' | grep my (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Panman82
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect string from bash stderr to user stdin

Hi there, I need to execute a command in the bash. The program prints some standard (output and) error and then wants the user to choose one of several options and type the according input. I am trying to solve this issue in a bash script but also running into some circular dependency. How can I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredestet
7 Replies

10. Debian

X2go server on Debian 8.10, stdin is not a tty

I am using x2go server on Debian 8.10. When I try to connect using x2go client, I get the error: My online searches return results of most people suggesting to replace the line: mesg n with tty -s && mesg n in /root/.profile or some variation. I tried this but the problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brighamandrew
2 Replies
MOUNT_FDESC(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					    MOUNT_FDESC(8)

NAME
mount_fdesc -- mount the file-descriptor file system SYNOPSIS
mount_fdesc [-o options] fdesc mount_point DESCRIPTION
The mount_fdesc command attaches an instance of the per-process file descriptor namespace to the global filesystem namespace. The conven- tional mount point is /dev and the filesystem should be union mounted in order to augment, rather than replace, the existing entries in /dev. This command is normally executed by mount(8) at boot time. The options are as follows: -o Options are specified with a -o flag followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. The contents of the mount point are fd, stderr, stdin, stdout and tty. fd is a directory whose contents appear as a list of numbered files which correspond to the open files of the process reading the directory. The files /dev/fd/0 through /dev/fd/# refer to file descriptors which can be accessed through the file system. If the file descriptor is open and the mode the file is being opened with is a subset of the mode of the existing descriptor, the call: fd = open("/dev/fd/0", mode); and the call: fd = fcntl(0, F_DUPFD, 0); are equivalent. The files /dev/stdin, /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr appear as symlinks to the relevant entry in the /dev/fd sub-directory. Opening them is equivalent to the following calls: fd = fcntl(STDIN_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDOUT_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); fd = fcntl(STDERR_FILENO, F_DUPFD, 0); Flags to the open(2) call other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR are ignored. The /dev/tty entry is an indirect reference to the current process's controlling terminal. It appears as a named pipe (FIFO) but behaves in exactly the same way as the real controlling terminal device. FILES
/dev/fd/# /dev/stdin /dev/stdout /dev/stderr /dev/tty SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), tty(4), fstab(5), mount(8) CAVEATS
No ~. and .. entries appear when listing the contents of the /dev/fd directory. This makes sense in the context of this filesystem, but is inconsistent with usual filesystem conventions. However, it is still possible to refer to both ~. and .. in a pathname. This filesystem may not be NFS-exported. HISTORY
The mount_fdesc utility first appeared in 4.4BSD. 4.4BSD March 27, 1994 4.4BSD