Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting get last section from large logfile Post 51427 by kburrows on Wednesday 19th of May 2004 03:28:55 PM
Old 05-19-2004
get last section from large logfile

Hi all,

I need to pull the (last section) from the header to the end of file. This logfile will have many sections appended, but I only need to capture the last one and email it to someone. Any ideas? Thanks Kathy

Example Logfile:

=============
= BOX : SAPCFI
= JOB : SAPCFI
= Commande : -D -k A -C cfg_PK pr
=
= Wed May 19 13:10:25 EST 2004
=
blah
blah
blah

=============
= BOX : SAPCFI
= JOB : SAPCFI
= Commande : -D -k A -C cfg_PK pr
=
= Wed May 19 13:21:25 EST 2004
=
blah
blah
blah

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New section

What are the chances of possibly posting some of the more common how-to type stuff for the newbies so we can avoid the repititious stuff that appears every other day? Not so much like a Q&A forum, but more like a reference area for the mundane stuff. Beyond searching the forum, I think people... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
3 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New Section

Just like we have a section "Unix for dummies..." , why not have a section on UNIX BACKUP AND RECOVERY Thanks :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kapilv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the most effective way to process a large logfile?

I am dealing with a very large firewall logfile (more than 10G), the logfile like this *snip* Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: Nov 9 10:12:01 testfirewall root: 0:00:11 accept testfw01-hme0 >hme0 proto: icmp; src: test001.example.net; dst: abc.dst.net; rule: 1; icmp-type: 8;... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

logfile

hi iam new of the ksh script.iwant in formation of how to call in logfile in ksh scripts. if the meaning in ksh. please help me thanks naveen.g (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveeng.81
1 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

New section

Hi Just a thought if it already hasn't been suggested. While looking at the forums I thought it might be a good idea under somewhere like 'special forums' add a section called 'projects'. I think this would be good for people to be able to post projects they have created. For example I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woofie
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get one particular section (using awk)?

Hey, I have a problem about how to get one section of a file? I'm new to shell, but by reading some tutorial, I think I can use awk to do this. my input file: >ref|ZP_04937576.1| ECRINAEDPKTFMPSPGKVKHFHAPGGNGVRVDSHLYSGYSVPPNYDSLVGKVITYGAD DEALARMRNALDELIVDGIKTNTELHKDLVRDAAFCKGGVNIHYLE... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritacc
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting last section of data from logfile

Hi, I have a log file from Munin like this:2012/12/04 13:45:31 : Munin-update finished (29.68 sec) 2012/12/04 13:50:01 Opened log file 2012/12/04 13:50:01 : Starting munin-update 2012/12/04 13:50:01 Error occured in under in the configuration. 2012/12/04 13:50:01 Could not parse datafile... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logfile monitoring with logfile replacement

Bonjour, I've wrote a script to monitor a logfile in realtime. It is working almost perfeclty except for two things. The script use the following technique : tail -fn0 $logfile | \ while read line ; do ... some stuff done First one, I'd like a way to end the monitoring script if a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Warluck
3 Replies
LOGSAVE(8)						      System Manager's Manual							LOGSAVE(8)

NAME
logsave - save the output of a command in a logfile SYNOPSIS
logsave [ -asv ] logfile cmd_prog [ ... ] DESCRIPTION
The logsave program will execute cmd_prog with the specified argument(s), and save a copy of its output to logfile. If the containing directory for logfile does not exist, logsave will accumulate the output in memory until it can be written out. A copy of the output will also be written to standard output. If cmd_prog is a single hyphen ('-'), then instead of executing a program, logsave will take its input from standard input and save it in logfile logsave is useful for saving the output of initial boot scripts until the /var partition is mounted, so the output can be written to /var/log. OPTIONS
-a This option will cause the output to be appended to logfile, instead of replacing its current contents. -s This option will cause logsave to skip writing to the log file text which is bracketed with a control-A (ASCII 001 or Start of Header) and control-B (ASCII 002 or Start of Text). This allows progress bar information to be visible to the user on the console, while not being written to the log file. -v This option will make logsave to be more verbose in its output to the user. AUTHOR
Theodore Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu) SEE ALSO
fsck(8) E2fsprogs version 1.44.1 March 2018 LOGSAVE(8)