Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Insufficient permissions on ftp'ed files from WIN2K to HP-UX Post 51293 by Anamika on Saturday 15th of May 2004 10:29:32 PM
Old 05-15-2004
Tools Insufficient permissions on ftp'ed files from WIN2K to HP-UX

We have an application running on Win2K and this application ftp files to HP-UX using ftpdc as user id. The files are created in HP-UX with following permissions:

-rw-r----- 1 ftpdc users 968321 Apr 12 22:57 aaaa.txt

There is a job that runs on HP-UX trying to modify this file using the userid "marvin". Marvin and ftpdc belong to different groups. Marvin's job fails since marvin doesn't have permissions to modify the ftp'ed file.

I checked the umask in marvin's .profile. There is no umask defined in .profile.

Case 1: I added umask 000 in the .profile and still didn't work. man pages said that umask 000 is default.

Case 2: I changed the umask 002. Still it didn't work. The files are still coming with insufficient permissions.

Is there anyway I can get files created with rw-rw----Please I need some help.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp permissions error

HI, I am not really even a newbie I'm just posing as one until our sys admin gets back from vacation. I am getting errors downloading certain files from an NT Server onto our inhouse Unix fileserver. Certain files always return errors when downloading to their proper directory.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie10
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ftp file with full permissions

I am running sco openserver 5.0.6 and I was wondering if I could ftp files to one of my other servers and that file have full permissions set automatically on the new server. I have searched the internet and manned chmod chown and ftp but they only seem to talk about giving the permissions after... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
7 Replies

3. HP-UX

FTP user files permissions problems!!!

Hi, I have a problem with my ftp accounts whereby if any external ftp party connects to our server and puts any file in a directory on our server. The file permissons are always -rw-r----- and no read for others. I have adjusted the ftp user .profile to include 'umask 022' but this only works... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: budrito
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD Ftp permissions problems - help!!

Hello, Ok I have a couple of little problems that I can't for the life of me work out how to solve. I wasn't involved in setting the server up, I've just "inherited" the support for it. I've done my best to be a good little newbie, researched articles, tried things out and managed to only get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Andy68man
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP Permissions

Hi Guys, I am trying to grant FTP acccess to my server for a WebDesigner to be able to upload live and see how it looks online. I created a new user (WebDes:tomcatUsers) and created his home dir as /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/uPhoto/ and then made sure he CHROOT's to his home dir so he only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: boarderstu
1 Replies

6. AIX

FTP file permissions

Hi all, I am using ftp command to transfer a file from one AIX5.3 box to different box with the same OS level. Is there a way I could change the permissions on the file once its transferred, as I am automating the process but the file permissions on the target does not allow other users to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_78_nyc
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions on ftp...

hi, how can I see permissions through ftp connection ? I can't see them using "ls -l" as in the local system.. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions Issues FTP server

Hi all, Quick question, im going to find this a bit hard to explain but ill give it a go. Basically i have an admin account on an FTP server that i want to be able to control ALL files without having to use sudo (as i need to run cron scripts to move files that are owned by a number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP loses write permissions

Hi Guys, i have learned today that when you ftp a file with full write permissions (777) to another destination it loses the w options. so a file that was once -rwxrwxrwx(before FTP) is now -rw-r--r-- (after FTP). why does this happen? and is it configurable? Regards, (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: brian112
8 Replies

10. Solaris

How do files transferred via ftp or sftp gets thier permissions at destination?

We have umask defined under /etc/.login as 022. I have my user specific umask defined in /userhome/.login as 002. I understand ftp will not execute anything at destination, it simply transfers files. But it seem to be using 022 as umask for the files transferred. How does ftp knows what umask... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies
CHKSTAT(8)					      Tool to check and set file permissions						CHKSTAT(8)

NAME
chkstat - Tool to check and set file permissions SYNOPSIS
chkstat [--set|-set] [--noheader] [[--examine file ]...] [[--files filelist ]...] [[--root directory ]...] permission-file ... DESCRIPTION
The program /usr/bin/chkstat is a tool to check and set file permissions. Multiple permissions files can be given on the commandline. If the permission files contain multiple entries for a single file, the last entry found will be used. General Options --set, -set This option enables setting the file permissions, the default is to check and warn only. --noheader Omit printing the output header lines. --examine file Check permissions for this file and not all files listed in the permissions files. --files filelist Check permissions for the files listed in filelist and not for all files listed in the permissions files. --root directory Prefix the files given in the permissions files by this directory. EXAMPLE
The command chkstat -set /etc/permissions will parse the file /etc/permissions and set the access mode and the user- and group memberships each file listed. The format for the input file is FILEPATH OWNER:GROUP MODE and wildcards are not supported for the filepath. Lines starting with '#' and empty lines are treated as comments. COPYRIGHT
1996-2003 SuSE Linux AG, Nuernberg, Germany. 2008 SUSE LINUX Products GmbH AUTHORS
Reinhold Sojer, Ruediger Oertel, Michael Schroeder Useful changes and additions by Tobias Burnus 3rd Berkeley Distribution 2008-04-17 CHKSTAT(8)