Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers NIS stops responding for few minutes and back to normal again Post 5129 by jennifer on Tuesday 7th of August 2001 10:23:41 PM
Old 08-07-2001
Data NIS stops responding for few minutes and back to normal again

Hi Friends,

I have 1 NIS and 2 NFS, at every one time, the max number of user logged in is less than 60.

Everytime, I need to use the NIS. The system stops responding for around 10mins and back to normal and again stops responding again and back to normal.

Does anyone knows what is cause of this problem?

thanks
jennifer

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change hostname, NIS stops

All, I have changed my machine name from A202 to B205. All I modified was /etc/hosts, /etc/nodename, hostname.ce0, /etc/net/<stuff needed to change>. But for some reason now NIS does not work. This is not the NIS server. When I telnet in I get "No directory! Logging in with home=/" when I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kjbaumann
4 Replies

2. AIX

FTP daemon stops responding

I have a strange problem with the FTP server on AIX 5.2. During the busiest time of the day, we get intermittent connection failures or timeouts connecting to the ftp server. The only thing clue that I can find is that daemon log shows the following message: ftpd: /bin/ls: Resource temporarily... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhall
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get my shell back to normal readline?

I just ran an application that crashed... but before it did, it managed to set readline echo off, and probably a bunch of other settings. Is there any way I can just tell my shell to re-initialize? To get back to whatever state existed before my shell got messed up by this evil program? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies
domainname(1)						      General Commands Manual						     domainname(1)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of Network Information Service domain SYNOPSIS
[name_of_domain] DESCRIPTION
Network Information Service (NIS) uses domain names to refer collectively to a group of hosts. Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the NIS domain. Only superuser can set the domain name by providing name_of_domain. The domain name is usually set in the configuration file by setting the variable. The name_of_domain is normally a valid Internet domain name. DEPENDENCIES
NIS servers use the NIS domain name as the name of a subdirectory of Therefore, name_of_domain cannot be a or and it must not contain Since the NIS domain name can be as long as 64 characters, name_of_domain may exceed the maximum file name length allowed on a given file system. If that length is exceeded, the subdirectory name becomes a truncated version of the NIS domain name. The first 14 characters of all NIS domains on the network must be unique; truncated names should be checked to verify that they meet this requirement. AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
ypinit(1M), getdomainname(2), setdomainname(2). domainname(1)