Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: options with awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting options with awk Post 51282 by home_king on Saturday 15th of May 2004 03:33:21 AM
Old 05-15-2004
"Process the file line by line" is just the function of awk!
I think you must go over it.

FS="\n", such statement is used just when you want to process file paragraph by paragraph. It may formatted as below:
---------------------------------
#para1 as $1
hihi
king is a good boy.
I am home_king.

#para2 as $2
I am the east of the end.
Welcome to linuxsir.org
----------------------------------
then you can state that BEGIN{FS="\n",RS=""} :-)

Don't modify FS carelessly. By default, FS=[ \t].

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp options

Hello again, Is there an option for the cp command to overwrite existing files in the destination directory? Cheers Rob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milage
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

options

I am just beginning to learn unix and I was wondering if there was a list of all the options somewhere on the net or hidden in the man pages? Also do options always have - and then a letter, or can it be - and a number as well? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

3. AIX

no options

Hi All, I have a situation here that's very fun... I have a system with AIX and iPlanet (sunOne) installed, when occurs an unknown event on the network the WebServer shows a thousand of CLOSE_WAIT connections and this number grows and grows until the webserver crashs. I read some documents... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nascimento.rp
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk and checking options

My task is that when the user calls the script 1. If user calls script with awk -v dtmax= -v stdlim= -f ../Scripts/add-rgauss-xt.awk fin.xt > fout.xt rgauss will return mean + (stdlim * sigma) 2. If user calls script with awk -v dtmax= -f ../Scripts/add-rgauss-xt.awk fin.xt > fout.xt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut, sed, awk too slow to retrieve line - other options?

Hi, I have a script that, basically, has two input files of this type: file1 key1=value1_1_1 key2=value1_2_1 key4=value1_4_1 ... file2 key2=value2_2_1 key2=value2_2_2 key3=value2_3_1 key4=value2_4_1 ... My files are 10k lines big each (approx). The keys are strings that don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script file command line options

Being new to awk I have a really basic question. It just has to be in the archives but it didn't bite me when I went looking for it. I've written an awk script, placed it in a file, added the "#!/usr/bin/awk -f" at the top of the script and away I go. "% myAwk <inputfile>" gives me exactly what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomr2k
2 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching options from ARGV in awk

I have written this code in an awk script. BEGIN { print "ARGV", ARGV if ( match(ARGV,/-u/) || match(ARGV,/--usg/) ) { print "MATCH -u:",match(ARGV,/-u/), RSTART, RLENGTH print "MATCH --usg:",match(ARGV,/--usg/), RSTART, RLENGTH usage() exit(1) } } I want... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies
Locale::Po4a::Text(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				     Locale::Po4a::Text(3)

NAME
Locale::Po4a::Text - convert text documents from/to PO files DESCRIPTION
The po4a (PO for anything) project goal is to ease translations (and more interestingly, the maintenance of translations) using gettext tools on areas where they were not expected like documentation. Locale::Po4a::Text is a module to help the translation of text documents into other [human] languages. Paragraphs are split on empty lines (or lines containing only spaces or tabulations). If a paragraph contains a line starting by a space (or tabulation), this paragraph won't be rewrapped. OPTIONS ACCEPTED BY THIS MODULE
These are this module's particular options: nobullets Deactivate detection of bullets. By default, when a bullet is detected, the bullet paragraph is not considered as a verbatim paragraph (with the no-wrap flag in the PO file), but the module rewraps this paragraph in the generated PO file and in the translation. tabs=mode Specify how tabulations shall be handled. The mode can be any of: split Lines with tabulations introduce breaks in the current paragraph. verbatim Paragraph containing tabulations will not be re-wrapped. By default, tabulations are considered as spaces. breaks=regex A regular expression matching lines which introduce breaks. The regular expression will be anchored so that the whole line must match. debianchangelog Handle the header and footer of released versions, which only contain non translatable informations. fortunes Handle the fortunes format, which separate fortunes with a line which consists in '%' or '%%', and use '%%' as the beginning of a comment. markdown Handle some special markup in Markdown-formatted texts. asciidoc Handle documents in the AsciiDoc format. control[=taglist] Handle control files. A comma-separated list of tags to be translated can be provided. STATUS OF THIS MODULE
Tested successfully on simple text files and NEWS.Debian files. AUTHORS
Nicolas Francois <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2005-2008 by Nicolas FRANCOIS <nicolas.francois@centraliens.net>. This program is free software; you may redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of GPL (see the COPYING file). perl v5.14.2 2012-05-17 Locale::Po4a::Text(3)