Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How can I get an if statement to execute based on number of lines in a file? Post 51246 by LordJezo on Friday 14th of May 2004 09:27:45 AM
Old 05-14-2004
Question How can I get an if statement to execute based on number of lines in a file?

I need to have an if statement in a script to run if there are certain processes running. Easiest way I can see to do this is to run a ps and grep the results based on what I am looking for:

$ ps -ef | grep wtrs
---
webtrend 5046 1 0 May 12 ? 0:28 /webtrends/versions/6.1/wtrs_ui -start
---
webtrend 5030 1 0 May 12 ? 3:29 /webtrends/versions/6.1/wtrs -start
---
webtrend 3550 5030 25 07:03:40 ? 91:09 /webtrends/versions/6.1/wtrs 314 -child
---
webtrend 6473 3999 0 09:10:08 pts/4 0:00 grep wtrs
---
webtrend 4409 5030 11 07:35:54 ?60:29 /webtrends/versions/6.1/wtrs 315 -child

("--" added in as line seperators)

Normally, I would expect to see the first, second, and fourth lines. That means everything is running normally. The third and fifth lines in that example are present because the program (wtrs) is currently executing certain commands.

So, what I want to do is an if statement that says (in English):

If wtrs is present in the above example 3 or fewer times, execute the following commands, otherwise do something else.

So what I was thinking of doing was first sending the output of the ps command into a text file:

$ ps -ef | grep wtrs > test.txt

Then the if statement could say:

If test.txt < 4 lines long, execute.

Anyone know how something like that would be possible, or if it would even be possible?
LordJezo

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk if statement matching all lines starting w/ a number

Does awk have a syntax for a range of numbers or is this the best way? if ($1 >= 0 && $1 <= 9 ) (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arsenalman
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to split files based on number of lines

I am getting a few gzip files into a folder by doing ftp to another server. Once I get them I move them to another location .But before that I need to make sure each gzip is not more than 5000 lines and split it up . The files I get are anywhere from 500 lines to 10000 lines in them and is in gzip... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gubbu
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines based on line number

I have a file with ~200K lines, I need to delete 4K lines in it. There is no range. I do have the line numbers of the lines which I want to be deleted. I did tried using > cat del.lines sed '510d;12d;219d;......;3999d' file > source del.lines Word too long. I even tried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: novice_man
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute and log each statement/block SQL file

Hi friends, I would like to get some help on the following requirement. I have a SQL file with following things, select 1 from dual; select user from dual; select sysdate from dual; BEGIN PL/SQL Code END; / This file will be saved as sql file. When I run my expected shell script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssnair
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

join based on line number when one file is missing lines

I have a file that contains 87 lines, each with a set of coordinates (x & y). This file looks like: 1 200.3 -0.3 2 201.7 -0.32 ... 87 200.2 -0.314 I have another file which contains data that was taken at certain of these 87 positions. i.e.: 37 125 42 175 86 142 where the first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jackiev
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

combine lines from two files based on an if statement

I'm rather new to programming, and am attempting to combine lines from 2 files in a way that is way beyond my expertise - any help would be appreciated! I need to take a file (file1) and add columns to it from another file (file2). However, a line from file2 should only be added to a given line... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cheri
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Concatinating the lines based on number of delimiters

Hi, I have a problem to concatenate the lines based on number of delimiters (if the delimiter count is 9 then concatenate all the fields & remove the new line char bw delimiters and then write the following data into second line) in a file. my input file content is Title| ID| Owner|... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bi.infa
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing a character with a number based on lines

Hi, I am in need of help for the two things which is to be done. First, I have a file that has around four columns. The first column is filled with letter "A". There are around 400 lines in the files as shown below. A 1 5.2 3.2 A 2 0.2 4.5 A 1 2.2 2.2 A 5 2.1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: begin_shell
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split file based on number of blank lines

Hello All , I have a file which needs to split based on the blank lines Name ABC Address London Age 32 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London Age 30 (4 blank new line) Name DEF Address London (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines based on line number and specified condition

Hi, I have a file like below. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9I would like to print or copied to a file based of line count in perl If I gave a condition 1 to 3 then it should iterate over above file and print 1 to 3 and then again 1 to 3 etc. output should be 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies
NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)														 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)

NAME
npm-run-script - Run arbitrary package scripts SYNOPSIS
npm run-script <command> [--silent] [-- <args>...] alias: npm run DESCRIPTION
This runs an arbitrary command from a package's "scripts" object. If no "command" is provided, it will list the available scripts. run[-script] is used by the test, start, restart, and stop commands, but can be called directly, as well. When the scripts in the package are printed out, they're separated into lifecycle (test, start, restart) and directly-run scripts. As of ` https://blog.npmjs.org/post/98131109725/npm-2-0-0, you can use custom arguments when executing scripts. The special option -- is used by getopt https://goo.gl/KxMmtG to delimit the end of the options. npm will pass all the arguments after the -- directly to your script: npm run test -- --grep="pattern" The arguments will only be passed to the script specified after npm run and not to any pre or post script. The env script is a special built-in command that can be used to list environment variables that will be available to the script at run- time. If an "env" command is defined in your package, it will take precedence over the built-in. In addition to the shell's pre-existing PATH, npm run adds node_modules/.bin to the PATH provided to scripts. Any binaries provided by locally-installed dependencies can be used without the node_modules/.bin prefix. For example, if there is a devDependency on tap in your package, you should write: "scripts": {"test": "tap test/*.js"} instead of "scripts": {"test": "node_modules/.bin/tap test/*.js"} to run your tests. The actual shell your script is run within is platform dependent. By default, on Unix-like systems it is the /bin/sh command, on Windows it is the cmd.exe. The actual shell referred to by /bin/sh also depends on the system. As of ` https://github.com/npm/npm/releases/tag/v5.1.0 you can customize the shell with the script-shell configuration. Scripts are run from the root of the module, regardless of what your current working directory is when you call npm run. If you want your script to use different behavior based on what subdirectory you're in, you can use the INIT_CWD environment variable, which holds the full path you were in when you ran npm run. npm run sets the NODE environment variable to the node executable with which npm is executed. Also, if the --scripts-prepend-node-path is passed, the directory within which node resides is added to the PATH. If --scripts-prepend-node-path=auto is passed (which has been the default in npm v3), this is only performed when that node executable is not found in the PATH. If you try to run a script without having a node_modules directory and it fails, you will be given a warning to run npm install, just in case you've forgotten. You can use the --silent flag to prevent showing npm ERR! output on error. You can use the --if-present flag to avoid exiting with a non-zero exit code when the script is undefined. This lets you run potentially undefined scripts without breaking the execution chain. SEE ALSO
o npm help 7 scripts o npm help test o npm help start o npm help restart o npm help stop o npm help 7 config January 2019 NPM-RUN-SCRIPT(1)