Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PASS parameter to AWK
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers PASS parameter to AWK Post 51240 by zazzybob on Friday 14th of May 2004 06:56:41 AM
Old 05-14-2004
Parameters passed to AWK are stored in the ARGV array, which has ARGC elements.

Example: suppose foo.awk contains
Code:
BEGIN {
   for ( i = 0; i < ARGC; i++ )
   {
       print ARGV[i]
   }
}

Then executing
Code:
awk -f foo.awk 1 2 3

would print
Code:
awk

ARGV[0] is the awk command itself, and the other ARGV elements are the parameters passed.

Peace,
ZB
http://www.zazzybob.com

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass one parameter from one column to another column in AWK

I am having scenario where input file is containing text like below ----------------------------------- Name,x.y.z.i.j.k,p.q.r.s.t.k,y.d.f.u.g.h,e.r.t.yu.t.u,...... Place,Bangalore,hyderabad,Chennai,Delhi,............ I need to read and put it in file in a column structure ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasanta jena
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter into script

I would like to write a scirpt a.sh that it first checks the first parameter of the input. If it fulfill some condition ,then run an executable program b by using all the parameter. ie. > ./a.sh 10 20 30 40 50 Then a.sh first checks the first parameter, 10, if it mathes the requirement, then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass a parameter

Hi all, How to pass a parameter from a oracle pl/sql procedure parameter to shell environment and use it? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass input and output file as parameter to awk script

Hi, i am new to awk. I am using csv2pipe script(shown below) BEGIN { FS=SUBSEP; OFS="|" } { result = setcsv($0, ",") print } # setcsv(str, sep) - parse CSV (MS specification) input # str, the string to be parsed. (Most likely $0.) # sep, the separator between the values. # #... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskarjha178
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk pass $LOGDIR parameter

hi guys i need your help , i wrote one script which is as below #!/bin/ksh ########################################################### LOGDIR=/export/home/xyz/logs EMAILFile=$LOGDIR/xxs_email.log BOX=$(uname -a | awk '{print $2}') awk '{if ($4 >= 30) {print $1 " " $3 " HAS LAG of "... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tapia
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass the parameter value to a... ?

Hello I have a simple code like this one: #!/bin/ksh VER=$1 cat /usr/text | while read line do echo $line done Let's say $1=1.0.0 and the contents of text is: abcd.cfg asdf I would like the output to be like this abcd1.0.0.cfg asdf1.0.0 I am thinking of passing the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khestoi
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass value from file to parameter

Hi Guys, I have a file in the format Parmater=value. I want to read the value and pass it to corresponding Variable. The Parameter file is as follows Number=23 Text1=mango Text2=yup 'Number' value needs to be read and passed to ID variable. Also, 'Text1' value needs to be passed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass parameter

Hi, I have following for loop , please let me know how to get ${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} parameter with 1DAY and 7DAY values. for i in 1DAY 7DAY do ${NZSQL_DIR}/nzsql -h ${HOST} -time -v ON_ERROR_STOP=1 -f ${SQL_DIR}/${TXP_EXT_TABLE_${i}_SQL} > ${TMP_LOG_FILE} 2>&1 done ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Unable to pass shell script parameter value to awk command in side the same script

Variable I have in my shell script diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk -F'~' ''$2 == "$id"' {print $0}' > $new I could see value of $id is not passing to the awk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
0 Replies
TZSELECT(8)						    Linux System Administration 					       TZSELECT(8)

NAME
tzselect - select a timezone SYNOPSIS
tzselect DESCRIPTION
The tzselect program asks the user for information about the current location, and outputs the resulting timezone description to standard output. The output is suitable as a value for the TZ environment variable. All interaction with the user is done via standard input and standard error. EXIT STATUS
The exit status is zero if a timezone was successfully obtained from the user, nonzero otherwise. ENVIRONMENT
AWK Name of a Posix-compliant awk program (default: awk). TZDIR Name of the directory containing timezone data files (default: /usr/share/zoneinfo). FILES
TZDIR/iso3166.tab Table of ISO 3166 2-letter country codes and country names. TZDIR/zone.tab Table of country codes, latitude and longitude, TZ values, and descriptive comments. TZDIR/TZ Time zone data file for timezone TZ. SEE ALSO
tzfile(5), zdump(8), zic(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2007-05-18 TZSELECT(8)