Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls color
Operating Systems AIX ls color Post 51229 by LivinFree on Thursday 13th of May 2004 08:14:42 PM
Old 05-13-2004
The only systems I've personally seen color in `ls` output is GNU/Linux systems.

That's because they're using GNU ls, from the GNU fileutils package. If you look at your aliases, you'll probably find that "ls" is an alias for "ls --color=tty", meaning that any time the output is a terminal, you'll get color (but not if output is a pipe or a file).

As far as I know, you can either compile and install GNU ls, or you may be out of luck.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the background color in the init 3 mode(not line color)

Hello, I am using RHEL 6.1 on VMware I am searching for a way to change background color (not line by line color wich one can using tput command) basically changing the color of the whole screen to white instead of the default black and changing font color to black and alos would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dexobox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify Color and send email with same color

Hello mates, I have a requirement where in which I have to mail an output from multiple programs in the same colour as the output from shell script. I have seen a post to mail html in our forum,but my case is I have to first identify which colour the output is in an then mail it to in the ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
10 Replies
DwtFetchColorLiteral(3Dwt)												DwtFetchColorLiteral(3Dwt)

Name
       DwtFetchColorLiteral - Fetches a named color literal from a UID file.

Syntax
       #include <X11/DwtAppl.h>
       int DwtFetchColorLiteral(hierarchy_id, index, display, colormap_id, pixel_return)
	    DRMHierarchy hierarchy_id;
	    String index;
	    Display *display;
	    Colormap colormap_id;
	    Pixel *pixel_return;

Arguments
       hierarchy_id
		 Specifies  the  ID of the UID hierarchy that contains the specified literal.  The hierarchy_id was returned in a previous call to
		 DwtOpenHierarchy.

index	 Specifies the UIL name of the color literal to fetch.	You must define this name in UIL as an exported value.

display	 Specifies the display used for the pixmap.  The display argument specifies the connection to the X server.  For more  information
		 on the Display structure see the Xlib function XOpenDisplay.

colormap_id
		 Specifies the ID of the color map.  If NULL, the default color map is used.

pixel_return
		 Returns the ID of the color literal.

Description
       The DwtFetchColorLiteral function fetches a named color literal from a UID file, and converts the color literal to a pixel color value.

Return Values
       This function returns one of these status return constants:

DRMSuccess	 The   function   executed
			 successfully.
       DRMNotFound	 The color literal was not
			 found in the UIL file.
       DRMFailure	 The function failed.

See Also
       DwtFetchIconLiteral(3Dwt), DwtFetchLiteral(3Dwt)

DwtFetchColorLiteral(3Dwt)