Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls color
Operating Systems AIX ls color Post 51229 by LivinFree on Thursday 13th of May 2004 08:14:42 PM
Old 05-13-2004
The only systems I've personally seen color in `ls` output is GNU/Linux systems.

That's because they're using GNU ls, from the GNU fileutils package. If you look at your aliases, you'll probably find that "ls" is an alias for "ls --color=tty", meaning that any time the output is a terminal, you'll get color (but not if output is a pipe or a file).

As far as I know, you can either compile and install GNU ls, or you may be out of luck.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the background color in the init 3 mode(not line color)

Hello, I am using RHEL 6.1 on VMware I am searching for a way to change background color (not line by line color wich one can using tput command) basically changing the color of the whole screen to white instead of the default black and changing font color to black and alos would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dexobox
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify Color and send email with same color

Hello mates, I have a requirement where in which I have to mail an output from multiple programs in the same colour as the output from shell script. I have seen a post to mail html in our forum,but my case is I have to first identify which colour the output is in an then mail it to in the ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kingcobra
10 Replies
XcmsAllocColor()														  XcmsAllocColor()

Name
  XcmsAllocColor - allocate a color specified in device-independent or device-dependent form.

Synopsis
  Status XcmsAllocColor(display, colormap, color_in_out, result_format)
	Display *display;
	Colormap colormap;
	XcmsColor *color_in_out;
	XcmsColorFormat result_format;

Arguments
  display   Specifies the connection to the X server.

colormap  Specifies the colormap.

color_in_out
	    Specifies the color to allocate and returns the pixel and color that is actually used in the colormap.

result_format
	    Specifies the desired color format for the returned color specification.

Returns
  Zero on failure, non-zero on success.

Availability
  Release 5 and later.

Description
  The XcmsAllocColor() function is similar to XAllocColor() except the color can be specified in any format supported by the color management
  system (e.g., CIEXYZ, CIELUV, RGB).  The XcmsAllocColor() function ultimately calls XAllocColor() to allocate a read-only color cell	(col-
  ormap entry) with the specified color.  XcmsAllocColor() first converts the color specified to an RGB value and then passes this to XAlloc-
  Color.  XcmsAllocColor() returns the pixel value of the color cell and the color specification actually  allocated.	This  returned	color
  specification  is the result of converting the RGB value returned by XAllocColor() into the format specified by the result_format argument.
  If there is no interest in a returned color specification, unnecessary computation can be bypassed if result_format is set  to  XcmsRGBFor-
  mat.	If this routine returns XcmsFailure, the color_in_out color specification is left unchanged.

Structures
  The XcmsColor and XcmsColorFormat structures are shown on the XcmsColor reference page.

Errors
  BadColor  The colormap argument does not name a defined Colormap.

See Also
  XcmsAllocNamedColor(), XcmsLookupColor(), XcmsQueryColor(), XcmsQueryColors(), XcmsStoreNamedColor.

Xlib - Device-independent Color 												  XcmsAllocColor()