Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Kinda OT: USENET Linux Groups Post 51038 by norsk hedensk on Sunday 9th of May 2004 08:48:30 PM
Old 05-09-2004
a lot of places are like that. im into cars and the car i drive, (mkiii supra Smilie ) and one of the original sources of information (sogi) is flooded with garbage. you just have to find new places to find good info. now there are lots of forums like supramania and supraforums, and those places are awesome sources of information.

anyway thats just how things go. sometimes your favorite newgroup might just die, or itll go through a rough period of a high signal/noise ratio, and itll rebound and be as good as you remember, if not better.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

USENET Unix FAQS

I have been working on another faq thread sites recommended by users and these Usenet FAQs really belong there. But I decided to give them their own thread and link in each faq. This overflowed the 10000 character limit per post so I had to break it into two posts. I reread all of the faqs as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
1 Replies

2. Linux

How do i download java 1.3 on linux(kinda have this old version)

i wish to run java files on inux but while downloading it into linux there is no problem but when i r try to execute a java file it says javac not found. help pleas (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wojtyla
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kinda big problem

Hi again! I finally managed to image the 3 floppies for installing freeBSD but I simply can't boot! I've selected floppy for first boot device and it even starts to readf the boot floppy and the hard drive light is continuously flashing but it doesn't stop even after half an hour and doesn't do a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudrack
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to modify ramdisk size,kinda urgent !!!

Hi all, I wanted to know how to modify the size of the ramdisk? I mean am manipulating a live cd ,for which the file am manipulating is within a ramdisk now due to size constraints i am unable to play around with some stuff.... currently the size of the ram disk is 64M... I would like to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kinda a noob: Automatic window sizing and placement

I am attempting to create a script that runs automatically upon logging in and opens and places windows in appropriate places. I have the script running such that it starts during login, but I cannot get things how and where I want them. This should be relatively simple, I just can't figure it out... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wydileie
7 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Usenet is dead

On servers i check there seems to be no news at all. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Action
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

pls help kinda difficult question for a beginner

1. Create a directory script (project_dir.sh) · Write a script in your home directory to create a subdirectory called “PROJECT<99>” within your home directory on the Ubantu/Linux server. <99> is your project number (e.g. 01,02,03, ... 15). · The script must test whether... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bugenhagen_
1 Replies
ppmd(1) 							       utils								   ppmd(1)

NAME
ppmd - file-to-file compressor SYNTAX
ppmd [e|d] [switches] filename...|wildcard... DESCRIPTION
It is written for embedding in user programs mainly and it is not intended for immediate use. I was interested in speed and performance improvements of abstract PPM model [1-6] only, without tuning it to particular data types, therefore compressor works good enough for texts, but it is not so good for nonhomogeneous files (executables) and for noisy analog data (sounds, pictures etc.). Program is very mem- ory consuming, you can choose balance between execution speed and memory economy, on one hand, and compression performance, on another hand, with the help of model order selection option (-o). OPTIONS
-d Delete file[s] after processing, default: disabled. -s Silent mode. -fName Set output file name to Name. -mN Use N MB memory - [1,256], default: 10. The PPMII algorithm might need a lot of memory, especially when used on large files and/or used with large model order. If ppmd needs more memory than you give it, the compression will be worse. The exact effect is depen- dent on the -r option. -oN Set model order to N - [2,16], default: 4. Bigger model orders almost surely results in better compression and surely more memory and CPU usage. -r{0,1,2} Methods of restoration of model correctness at memory insufficiency: '-r0 - restart model from scratch'. This method is not optimal for any type of data sources, but it works fast and efficient in average, so it is the recommended method (default). '-r1 - cut off model'. This method is optimal for quasistationary sources when the period of stationarity is much larger than period between cutoffs. As a rule, it gives better results, but it is slower than other methods and it is unstable against fragmen- tation of memory heap at high model orders and low memory. '-r2 - freeze model'. This method is optimal for stationary sources (show me such source when You will find it ;-)). It is fast and efficient for such sources. EXAMPLES
To run this program the standard way type: ppmd e /tmp/myfile Alternatively you can run it as: ppmd -e -o 16 /tmp/myfile AUTHORS
PPMd was written by Dmitry Shkarin <dmitry.shkarin@mtu-net.ru> and Dmitry Subbotin. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), bzip2(1), lzma(1). 10.1 2011-07-25 ppmd(1)