Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: disaster recovery
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers disaster recovery Post 50934 by RTM on Wednesday 5th of May 2004 03:39:15 PM
Old 05-05-2004
Any that were changed from the default - as stated - it matters how you build your servers.

Examples of changed files in my environment (not all servers but I collect the info on each if it exist):
inittab, services, inetd.conf, system, auto_master, auto_home, shadow, passwd, hosts, netmasks, networks, vfstab, dfstab, hosts.allow, hosts.equiv, hosts.deny, resolv.conf, all crontabs, Sybase interfaces file, Oracle oratab file, md.cf, md.tab, mddb.cf,
output from following commands - vxprint -th, vxdisk list, showrev, showrev -p, share, psrinfo, sysdef, prtconf, netstat -nr, ifconfig -a, df -k, df -n, ypwhich

But you might have some that I don't - you HAVE to know your system and the difference between it and a default build.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Please Tell Me About Disaster Recovery

please tell me if this thinkin is correct, if not, please corret me: disaster recovery means when something bad happens and you need to retrieved a backed up file, all you have to do is cd into the tape drive and then look for the file you want and extract it from the drive. is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
3 Replies

2. Cybersecurity

Template for Disaster Recovery

Hello, I am trying to make a disaster recovery of my Unix System. Is there a site where I can find template from Disaster Recovery Domain. So this can help me to have the principals chapter to make a good report. Thanks a lot ........ (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Disaster Recovery

Can anyone tell me of what to expect? I've been nominated to join a team of unix admins to do a DR testing. we already have the guys who are gono be doing the restores. besides the restore, anybody know what else to look forward to?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Disaster Recovery

Recovering Solaris to an alternate server I was just wondering if anyone could give me some points on restoring a Solaris 9 backup to an alternate server. Basically, we use netbackup 6 and I was wondering what the best procedures are for doing this? What things do we need to take into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron2k
3 Replies

5. AIX

AIX disaster recovery

Are there any products out there that provide a disk imaging solution for AIX (and HPUX and Solaris for that matter)? In a development environment where users are looking to restore an OS quickly back to a certain point in time, what is there available for this besides opening up the system,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris 8 using Flash Archive for Disaster Recovery

Hello everyone I am Kevin and new to this forum. I have encounter an issue I can't seem to resolve. I am currently using Solaris 8 02/04 on Sun V240 servers. I know how to create a flar image of the server and restore it using NFS (network server) or Local Tape (tape drive). What I need to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin1166
2 Replies

7. AIX

hacmp and disaster recovery question

Hi Guys, is it possible to failover a hacmp cluster in one datacentre via SRDF to a single node in another datacentre, or do I need a cluster there in any case? This is only meant as worst case scenario and my company doesn't want to spend more money than absolutely necessary. I know the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zxmaus
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disaster Recovery - Help needed

We have a SCO OpenServer Unix server that has been damaged. Fortunately we have a good backup of the entire system (using BackupEdge.) On a new server, if we install SCO from original SCO CD's (we have all necessary activation codes) then drop the tape (we can restore with tar), will the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmhohne
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disaster Recovery

Hi, I just want to throw something out there for opinions and viewpoints relating to a Disaster Recovery site. Besides the live production environment, do you think a DR environment should include: - pre-production environment - QA Environment ......or would this be considered to be OTT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
3 Replies
db_recover(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					     db_recover(1)

NAME
db_recover SYNOPSIS
db_recover [-ceVv] [-h home] [-P password] [-t [[CC]YY]MMDDhhmm[.SS]] DESCRIPTION
The db_recover utility must be run after an unexpected application, Berkeley DB, or system failure to restore the database to a consistent state. All committed transactions are guaranteed to appear after db_recover has run, and all uncommitted transactions will be completely undone. The options are as follows: -c Perform catastrophic recovery instead of normal recovery. -e Retain the environment after running recovery. This option will rarely be used unless a DB_CONFIG file is present in the home directory. If a DB_CONFIG file is not present, then the regions will be created with default parameter values. -h Specify a home directory for the database environment; by default, the current working directory is used. -P Specify an environment password. Although Berkeley DB utilities overwrite password strings as soon as possible, be aware there may be a window of vulnerability on systems where unprivileged users can see command-line arguments or where utilities are not able to overwrite the memory containing the command-line arguments. -t Recover to the time specified rather than to the most current possible date. The timestamp argument should be in the form [[CC]YY]MMD- Dhhmm[.SS] where each pair of letters represents the following: CC The first two digits of the year (the century). YY The second two digits of the year. If "YY" is specified, but "CC" is not, a value for "YY" between 69 and 99 results in a "YY" value of 19. Otherwise, a "YY" value of 20 is used. MM The month of the year, from 1 to 12. DD The day of the month, from 1 to 31. hh The hour of the day, from 0 to 23. mm The minute of the hour, from 0 to 59. SS The second of the minute, from 0 to 61. If the "CC" and "YY" letter pairs are not specified, the values default to the current year. If the "SS" letter pair is not specified, the value defaults to 0. -V Write the library version number to the standard output, and exit. -v Run in verbose mode. In the case of catastrophic recovery, an archival copy -- or snapshot -- of all database files must be restored along with all of the log files written since the database file snapshot was made. (If disk space is a problem, log files may be referenced by symbolic links). For further information on creating a database snapshot, see Archival Procedures. For further information on performing recovery, see Recovery Procedures. If the failure was not catastrophic, the files present on the system at the time of failure are sufficient to perform recovery. If log files are missing, db_recover will identify the missing log file(s) and fail, in which case the missing log files need to be restored and recovery performed again. The db_recover utility uses a Berkeley DB environment (as described for the -h option, the environment variable DB_HOME, or because the util- ity was run in a directory containing a Berkeley DB environment). In order to avoid environment corruption when using a Berkeley DB environ- ment, db_recover should always be given the chance to detach from the environment and exit gracefully. To cause db_recover to release all environment resources and exit cleanly, send it an interrupt signal (SIGINT). The db_recover utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. ENVIRONMENT
DB_HOME If the -h option is not specified and the environment variable DB_HOME is set, it is used as the path of the database home, as described in DB_ENV->open. SEE ALSO
db_archive(1), db_checkpoint(1), db_deadlock(1), db_dump(1), db_load(1), db_printlog(1), db_stat(1), db_upgrade(1), db_verify(1) Darwin December 3, 2003 Darwin