Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Networking XP with Linux (Vector Linux) Post 50917 by zazzybob on Wednesday 5th of May 2004 12:02:24 PM
Old 05-05-2004
A brief outline - Configure your XP machine's IP settings. Not going into the Windows specifics here (but right click on "My Network Places", right click the LAN connection, then right click the TCP/IP and select properties - this is unix.com so won't dwell here!), but set the IP address to 192.168.0.1, subnet 255.255.255.0 and leave the default gateway blank.

Set the Linux box to use 192.168.0.1 as the default gateway and to get its IP address via DHCP. That way, you essentially set up Internet connection sharing via the XP machine acting as a gateway.

Do some reading up on networking in general, there's plenty on google. When you're ready to configure the Linux box - either use the GUI provided by your distribution, or give man ifconfig a read.

This is the same setup I use at home.

Cheers
ZB
http://www.zazzybob.com

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking Problems On Linux

HI I JUST INSTALLED LINUX 7.0 ON MY COMPUTER AND IT WIPED OUT THE WHOLE WIN2K SO MY QUESTION IS THAT I CAN'T .....MY NETSCAPE NAVIGATOR DOESN'T WORK (NO INTERNET AT ALL) WHAT SHOULD I DO!... I HAVE A CABLE MODEM IP I USE TO SEARCH THE INTERNET WITH BOTH BROWSER IE AND NETS..NAV.. NOW I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMOTEB
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Networking Linux 2 windows server

How do i network my linux 7 machine to a windows 98 server.I can ping them but how do i see them in explorer and how can i surf in netscape on my linux machine? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
3 Replies

3. IP Networking

networking linux to windows server

I have a linux 7 machine and i want to able to connect it to my windows 98 server.What do i do.They can ping each other but how do i make them see each other e.g be able to copy and send files to each other and surf??? how do i set up netscape to connect to my servers web server??? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perleo
2 Replies

4. Programming

networking aspect of linux

Hi, everybody. I wanted to know the networking aspect of Linux i.e how Linux works using networks. If anyone knows it or the site or book where I can find this topic then please inform me. Thanks a lot for your co-operation. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kinnaree
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux networking

hi, we've linux suse version 7 and i've installed linux on the PC's, so could anyone tell me that which files should i change under /etc to be able to Telnet & Ftp to other machine? Rgrds, Nikk (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

links to all networking commands in linux

can some one send me the links to all networking commands in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
1 Replies

7. Linux

Linux networking configuration

I have a question concerning default gateways in RHEL. In Linux, the default gateway does not have to be associated with a specific interface - when you look at your routing table with route -n, your default gateway can be associated with the default route on the last line, and doesn't have to be... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rojizo
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

simple linux networking question

I have 2 linux hosts running oracle RAC DB with multiple ethernet interfaces . Host 1 netstat -tln |grep 6000 Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address State tcp 0 0 :::6000 :::* ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gubbu
1 Replies

9. Proxy Server

Linux Networking - VLANs & Multiple IP's

In a "typical" data centre environment (telco, financial services etc), would a Linux OS typically have one IP address connected to one VLAN or would it have many IPs and/or VLANs. I say "Linux OS" as I'm referring to an instance of the OS not necessarily a Host or server. Think Linux OS = VM in a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: PCB
9 Replies
dhcping(8)						      General Commands Manual							dhcping(8)

NAME
dhcping - send a DHCP request to DHCP server to see if it's up and running SYNOPSIS
dhcping [-v] [-q] [-i] [-r] -t maxwait -c client-IP-address -s server-IP-address -h client-hardware-address [-g gateway-IP-address] DESCRIPTION
This command allows the system administrator to check if a remote DHCP server is still functioning. Options are: -v Verbose, print some information. -V Very verbose, print a lot of information. -i Use DHCPINFORM packets. -r Use DHCPREQUEST packets (default behaviour). -q Quiet, print nothing on the screen. -t maxwait Maximum time to wait for an answer from the server in seconds. Default is 3 seconds. -c client-IP-address Request this IP address. Note that this is also the IP address the answer will be sent to. -s server-IP-address Send the DHCP packet to this IP address. -h client-hardware-address Use this hardware-address in the DHCP request. It can be up to sixteen octets separated by colons (i.e. 01:02:03:04) -g gateway-IP-address Use this IP address for the gateway IP address in the DHCP packet. This option is currently broken. RETURN VALUES
If everything goes okay, it returns 0. If there went something wrong, it returns 1. SETUP
This program should be installed setuid root or ran by root only. See SECURITY for more information. On your DHCP server, add these lines to the dhcpd.conf: host <your monitoring host FQDN> { hardware ethernet <your monitor host mac address>; fixed-address <your monitoring host IP address>; } Then try it: $ dhcping -c your monitoring host IP address -s your DHCP server IP address -h your monitor host mac address It will either respond with "no answer" or "Got answer from: your DHCP server IP address" The DHCP server logfile will give: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPACK on 192.168.1.1 to 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 DHCPRELEASE of 192.168.1.1 from 00:20:18:56:29:8f via ed0 (found) Running in DHCPINFORM mode with -i: If you see "DHCPINFORM from 192.168.1.1 via xl0: not authoritative for subnet 192.168.1.0", you should add the authoritative statement to the subnet, See dhcpd.conf(5) for details. When running in very verbose mode, dhcping tries to dump all data of the send and received DHCP packets. It will first dump the packet in hex-format, then decodes the header and finally the options. HOW IT WORKS
The client either sends a DHCPREQUEST or DHCPINFORM packet to the server and waits for an answer. Then, if a DHCPREQUEST was send, it will send a DHCPRELEASE back to the server. SECURITY
This program is installed setuid root as it requires the privileges to bind itself to port 68 (bootpc). Root privileges are dropped as soon as the program has bound itself to that port. BUGS
Currently (this may, or may not, change in the future) the ISC DHCP daemon does not write leases with a fixed IP address in the dhcpd.leases file. DHCPINFORM packets can only be used on subnets the server is authoritative for. If the monitoring script runs on a subnet the server isn't authoritative for, it should use the DHCPREQUEST packets. I also experienced some problems with ISC DHCPD v2 servers, but that is also in the README of it. The -V option is still working, but shouldn't be used for debugging of the packets. Better use dhcpdump(8) for that, which is available on my website. I wanted to remove it, but decided only to do it from the documentation, not from the code. Maybe I'll need it one day for debugging. AUTHOR
Edwin Groothuis, edwin@mavetju.org (http://www.mavetju.org) SEE ALSO
dhcpd(8), dhclient(8), dhcpd.conf(5), dhcpdump(8) 3rd Berkeley Distribution January 27, 2002 dhcping(8)