Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX Recovery
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users UNIX Recovery Post 5089 by PxT on Tuesday 7th of August 2001 02:47:47 PM
Old 08-07-2001
Quote:
Originally posted by Neo

I don't know of any way to recover this file, Sorry.
I do. It's called a restore. You do have backups, right?

Remember the old adage: Save early, save often!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Disaster Recovery

Recovering Solaris to an alternate server I was just wondering if anyone could give me some points on restoring a Solaris 9 backup to an alternate server. Basically, we use netbackup 6 and I was wondering what the best procedures are for doing this? What things do we need to take into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaron2k
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Password Recovery

Hi, I am new to unix and I set a password for a user and now I need to recover what that password was. Is there a way, where as root, I can view what a users passwords is? Thanks, Eric (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
2 Replies

3. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

password recovery

hello, my password got lost - and your service to generate new passwords does not work -ive tried it out 50 times the last week or so, never got a single mail from it... please generate a new password for my account "congo" with mailadress. thanks. Thomas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: congo00000001
3 Replies

4. Solaris

crashdump recovery help

Hi all, how i recovery the files when system is crash? (using crashdump concept) regards Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murthy76
1 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

password recovery

I am trying to access an old email account but cannot recall the password and the backup email account has been closed, also. I need instructions or an expert who can assist recovering my password for web-based email account. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp_mcgee
4 Replies

6. Red Hat

ldap recovery

Is there a way to recover the ldap server if it crashes (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalcomis
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File recovery

Hi, Please let me know the way to recover the files deleted from home directory by 'rm*' command . Thanks in advance. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravigupta2u
10 Replies

8. Red Hat

Please: help to recovery boot with new vg

The situation: i try to boot centos in new environement(the vg name is changed) i edit the menu.lst of grub,did grub-install,then mkinitrd `uname -r`.img `uname -r` but when i reboot the new vg is not find and i obtain only a kernel panic :( (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linusolaradm1
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Folder Recovery

I had a data folder in MySQL that has simply disappeared. Something about a compromised server and MySQL crashing. This happened a few days ago. Although there has been one reboot, nothing new has been written to the server, so I'm thinking in theory it might still be there. Has anyone had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SurfMe69
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris 11 recovery

Hi, I need to recover the Solaris 11 OS, and it backup via Netbackup 7.6 file level backup only. Does anyone know what are steps to recover it? Thanks. :confused::confused::confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
3 Replies
ex(1)							      General Commands Manual							     ex(1)

Name
       ex, edit - text editor

Syntax
       ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -x ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name...
       edit [ ex options ]

Description
       The  editor  is	the  root  of a family of editors: and The editor is a superset of with the most notable extension being a display-editing
       facility.  Display-based editing is the focus of

The name argument indicates the files to be edited.

Options
       -    Suppresses all interactive-user feedback.  This option is useful in processing editor scripts in command files.

-v   Equivalent to using rather than

-t   Equivalent to an initial tag command, that is, editing the file containing the tag and positioning the editor at its definition.

-r   Used to recover after an editor or system crash.  It recovers by retrieving the last saved version of the named file.  If no  file	is
	    specified, it displays a list of saved files.

-R   Sets the read-only option at the start.

+command
	    Indicates  that  the editor should begin by executing the specified command.  If the command is omitted, it defaults to $, positioning
	    the editor at the last line of the first file, initially.  Other useful commands here are scanning patterns of the form  +/pattern	or
	    line numbers.

-l   Sets up for LISP.  That is, it sets the showmatch and lisp options.  The -x option is available only if the Encryption layered product
	    is installed.

-x   Causes to prompt for a key. The key is used to encrypt and decrypt the contents of the file. If the file contents have been  encrypted
	    with one key, you must use the same key to decrypt them.

Restrictions
       The command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed.

The command does not clear the buffer modified condition.

The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines.  More than a screenful of output may result if long lines are present.

File input/output errors do not print a name if the command line minus sign (-) option is used.

There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case.

The editor does not warn you if you place text in named buffers and do not use it before exiting the editor.

Null characters are discarded from input files, and cannot appear in output files.

Files
       /usr/lib/ex?.?recover	     recover command
       /usr/lib/ex?.?preserve	     preserve command
       /etc/termcap		terminal capabilities
       ~/.exrc			editor startup file
       /tmp/Exnnnnn		editor temporary
       /tmp/Rxnnnnn		named buffer temporary
       /usr/preserve		preservation directory

See Also
       awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7)
       "Edit: A Tutorial" and the "Ex Reference Manual" in the
       Supplementary Documents, Volume 1: General User

ex(1)