Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cp All But Some Files, paramater for cp command? Post 50837 by allelopath on Tuesday 4th of May 2004 12:37:27 AM
Old 05-04-2004
Cp All But Some Files, paramater for cp command?

I'm creating a shell script, part of which has a cp command.So far i've got:

cp --recursive --reply=yes /development/myProgram/* /somewhere/else

I need to add something that says to not copy certain files, in this case all directories named "CVS" and files named ".project" and "project.index". I don't see an option to do this in the cp command. I suspect this can be done with grep, but a couple of attempts have failed.
How can I do this?

(Sorry if this gets posted twice, i thought i did once, but now I don't see it)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-r paramater with chown and rmdir

If I am root user, and trying to chown everything in a directory and it's subdirectories (e.g. httpdocs and everything inside that directory, including it's sub directories), how would I do that? I tried it with -r but it didnt seem to work...can someone help with the correct syntax? Also, if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eman619
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting input files into multiple files through AWK command

Hi, I needs to split *.txt files from single directory depends on the some mutltiple input values. i have wrote the code like below for file in *.txt do grep -i -h "value1|value2" $file > $file; done. My requirment is more input values needs to be given in grep; let us say 50... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arund_01
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paramater list too long while chmod

Hi i am transferring the files(around 10000) from the Windows sever to the UNIX server in that i run a command chmod 777 filename.txt but it is taking a longer time as it gives chmod for each and every file. So i thouught of giving the permission from the UNIX itself and i tried running chmod... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to see 1.out to 39.out files in a command

Hi experts: What command will list only 1.out to 39.out files in a sorted manner: Like. ls -l format with: 1.out 2.out ... ... 39.out I am using this but it is very long: ls -lrt .out ; ls -lrt 1.out ; ls -lrt 2.out ; ls -lrt 3.out | sort -k 9 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command for recently modified files - "find" command not working

I have three files a.txt , b.txt , c.txt in a directory called my_dir1 .These files were created before two or three months . I have a tar file called my_tar1.tar which contains three files a.txt , b.txt , d.txt . Somebody untarred the my_tar1.tar into my_dir1 directory. So existing two files were... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: joe.mani
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply 'awk' to all files in a directory or individual files from a command line

Hi All, I am using the awk command to replace ',' by '\t' (tabs) in a csv file. I would like to apply this to all .csv files in a directory and create .txt files with the tabs. How would I do this in a script? I have the following script called "csvtabs": awk 'BEGIN { FS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ScKaSx
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move same files and issue ls -al command on remaining files

I know I can use an ls -l junk1 command to get a listing of all files in the directory junk1, but I was wondering how I'd go about going through the files in junk1 in a for-in loop and issuing the ls -l command on them one by one. This is what I have so far: for file in $(ls -a $1) do ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Trinimini
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single command - unzip files from a tar command

I have a tar file that contains multiple .Z files. Hence I need to issue a tar command followed by a gzip command to fully extract the files. How do I do it in a single command? What I'm doing now is tar xvf a.tar (this will output 1.Z and 2.Z) gzip -d *.Z (to extract 1.Z and 2.Z) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ericlim
9 Replies

9. Solaris

Command to remove existing files in the tar files in Solaris 10

Hi, I am using solaris 10 OS.Please help me out with the commands needed in below two scenarios. 1)How to delete the existing files in the tar file. suppose i have a main tarfile named application.tar and it contains a file called ingres.tar. what is the command to remove ingres.tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muraliinfy04
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Short command to create two files >{respo,nd}.php (with "tee" command?)

08:29 < xsi> >{respo,nd}.php bash: {respo,nd}.php: ambiguous redirect 08:31 < geirha> xsi: maybe you want tee So I was advised to do so. And I can't create two OR MORE files at once with {a,b,c,d,e,f}.php (which I quickly now need to create and to learn to create in the future to quickly... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
2 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)