Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: list command
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers list command Post 50833 by zazzybob on Monday 3rd of May 2004 05:27:36 PM
Old 05-03-2004
If you're using GNU ls (part of the coreutils package - I'm using version 4.5.8), you can format the date in any way you want, just like the date +FORMAT command.

Code:
ls -l --time-style=+'%d-%m-%y  %H:%M'

This prints dates in the British format of dd-mm-yy, such as 01-12-03, followed by the time, e.g. 23:45

Try man date for the other formatting characters.

Cheers
ZB
http://www.zazzybob.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

list directory without use ls command?

Hi i need C code to list direcoty without using ls command and it sould take the path of the directory from the user? "please help me it is so important" (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashamry
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list last few lines command

Hi If my ls -l results in 1000 lines and i just want to see the last few lines in the list what arguments do i pass eg lets say i want to see only the last 5 lines of 'ls -l' result (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zomboo
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list used space in VG?

Hello. Must be simple enough, but i am trying to find the quickest command to list the used disk space within my VGs. For example, lets say my workvg has 3 logical volumes. I can df -g -I to find the used space of each LVs and adding them up. Is there a command to list the VGs with the used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to list all files

Hi Is there a command(s) which can be used to get a list of all files, including all files in all subdirectories on a given volume? Thanks :) All My Best, Jeffrey (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what does the ls -ltr command list

Hi, THe following is the output when i run the command ls -ltr can anyone explain the meaning of the field in red -rw-r----- 3 orca orca 20924 Sep 08 19:21 BTL027SASI.gnt -rw-r----- 3 orca orca 20924 Sep 08 19:21 BTL027RITD.gnt -rw-r----- 3 orca orca ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjita.c
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

list out a file using unix command

Hi, Iam a new member of this group I have got one issue I wanna to find out one file like *.pll in a remote server using unix command i tried giving ls but it wont work acc to my expectation since ls list out the file only in a particular directory eg in C DRIVE I SHUD BE ABLE TO... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmerin
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command to list a only sub-directories

provide me the command to list all the subdirectories from the /home (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Complete command list/argument using ps

Hi, Using ps, I can't work out what is the right options to use to show full listing of the process or command, can someone please advise what options I should be using? Example output of a "trimmed" process is as below and I know this is not the complete command line that I've executed,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
8 Replies

9. AIX

list command issue

Hi, We are using AIX operating system. Issue with the first two files which we need to get month and year but it is not coming. When I use the ls -lrt command, I am having the problem. ls -lrt command output -rw-r----- 1 abc_dev devdatagrp 1234 17 Dec 08:30 -rw-r----- ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert list in a command

Hello, i would make a script that generate SWITCH commands to create zone in a SAN, i have this file: ## zone:z_CGBVMH1_FC0_to_EVA1_CTRL_A_1 p_CGBVMH1_FC0; p_EVA1_CTRL_A_1 ## zone:z_CGBVMH1_FC0_to_EVA1_CTRL_B_1 p_CGBVMH1_FC0; p_EVA1_CTRL_B_1 ## zone:z_CGBVMH1_FC2_to_EVA1_CTRL_A_1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alen192
2 Replies
CAL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAL(1)

NAME
cal, ncal -- displays a calendar and the date of easter SYNOPSIS
cal [-jy] [[month] year] cal [-j] -m month [year] ncal [-jJpwy] [-s country_code] [[month] year] ncal [-Jeo] [year] DESCRIPTION
The cal utility displays a simple calendar in traditional format and ncal offers an alternative layout, more options and the date of easter. The new format is a little cramped but it makes a year fit on a 25x80 terminal. If arguments are not specified, the current month is dis- played. The options are as follows: -J Display Julian Calendar, if combined with the -e option, display date of easter according to the Julian Calendar. -e Display date of easter (for western churches). -j Display Julian days (days one-based, numbered from January 1). -m month Display the specified month. -o Display date of orthodox easter (Greek and Russian Orthodox Churches). -p Print the country codes and switching days from Julian to Gregorian Calendar as they are assumed by ncal. The country code as deter- mined from the local environment is marked with an asterisk. -s country_code Assume the switch from Julian to Gregorian Calendar at the date associated with the country_code. If not specified, ncal tries to guess the switch date from the local environment or falls back to September 2, 1752. This was when Great Britain and her colonies switched to the Gregorian Calendar. -w Print the number of the week below each week column. -y Display a calendar for the specified year. A single parameter specifies the year (1 - 9999) to be displayed; note the year must be fully specified: ``cal 89'' will not display a calen- dar for 1989. Two parameters denote the month and year; the month is either a number between 1 and 12, or a full or abbreviated name as specified by the current locale. Month and year default to those of the current system clock and time zone (so ``cal -m 8'' will display a calendar for the month of August in the current year). A year starts on Jan 1. SEE ALSO
calendar(3), strftime(3) HISTORY
A cal command appeared in Version 5 AT&T UNIX. The ncal command appeared in FreeBSD 2.2.6. AUTHORS
The ncal command and manual were written by Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
The assignment of Julian--Gregorian switching dates to country codes is historically naive for many countries. BSD
November 23, 2004 BSD