Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog question
Operating Systems AIX syslog question Post 50808 by jalburger on Monday 3rd of May 2004 08:25:16 AM
Old 05-03-2004
Running syslog in debug mode produces the following to stdout:

# logger -p local6.emerg this is a test

got a message (1, 0x10)
logmsg: pri 260, flags 0, from nemo, msg May 3 12:12:25 cpdlc: this is another test
Logging to FILE /foo/sshell.log
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
Logging to UNUSED
readfds = 0x30

Why does the priority show up as "260" in the debugging msg? What does all the "Logging to UNUSED" mean?

Thanks!!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Well, im getting it, but i have ONE question

Hay everyone, i would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you who helped me make the decision to get a linux distro. As a newbie, Im defininately considering buying Mandrake Linux... I went to the site and phew..... 2300 applications, i think ill have a good time. But i do have a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Another question regarding yes

I have a program that takes two responses, for example: ./eatfruit <stdout> Enter fruit: Do you want to eat fruit?: <end stdout> If I do this yes banana ./eatfruit <stdout> Enter fruit: banana (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nj78
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

while question/help?

I have 3 files in a directory. The files are named as below MSDOS PCDOS filename.txt The file filename.txt contains the following 1 line *****DOS When I run the following while loop I get the following output while read r do echo $r done < filename.txt Output is MSDOS PCDOS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gmatsoon
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 10 question on syslog.conf file

Hi, I have a question on /etc/syslog.conf file in Solaris 10. Below is a line taken from /etc/syslog.conf file and I know that the last field (operator) is where the logs gets outputted but how do I find out what the output file name format is going to be and which directory it gets outputted... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stevefox
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Where should I ask my question?

Hello, all I found you folks by doing searches on linux bash scripting From time-to-time I'm hoping to get help from the experts here. I'm technically competent enough with Windows to run my own Tech-Support business, but I am fairly lightwieght in Linux. Over the last 3-4 years I've... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tovian
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

8. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
Net::DRI::Logging::Syslog(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			    Net::DRI::Logging::Syslog(3pm)

NAME
Net::DRI::Logging::Syslog - SYSLOG Logging Operations for Net::DRI VERSION
This documentation refers to Net::DRI::Logging::Syslog version 1.01 Read e.g. with pod2text Net/DRI/Logging/Syslog.pm|less SYNOPSIS
See Net::DRI::Logging DESCRIPTION
This class dumps all logging information to SYSLOG. EXAMPLES
$dri=Net::DRI->new({cache_ttl => 10, logging => ['syslog', { level => 'warning', xml_indent => 0, ident => 'NetDRI', priority => 'info', facility => 'local3', options => 'pid,nofatal', logopened => 0 } ] }); The values above are the default - level, xml_ident refer to Net::DRI::Logging - ident, priority, facility, options refer to Sys::Syslog - logopened Value 1: Sys::Syslog::openlog() already called, so do not call it in this module, but still specify ident, priority, and facility, if the defaults are not wanted SUBROUTINES
/METHODS All mandated by superclass Net::DRI::Logging. DIAGNOSTICS
None. CONFIGURATION AND ENVIRONMENT
None. DEPENDENCIES
This modules has to be used inside the Net::DRI framework and needs the following components: Sys::Syslog Net::DRI::Logging INCOMPATIBILITIES
None BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
No known bugs. Please report problems to author (see below) or use CPAN RT system. Patches are welcome. SUPPORT
For now, support questions should be sent to: <netdri@jth.net> Please also see the SUPPORT file in the distribution. SEE ALSO
<http://www.dotandco.com/services/software/Net-DRI/> AUTHOR
Jorgen Thomsen, <netdri@jth.net> LICENSE AND COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2009 Jorgen Thomsen <netdri@jth.net>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. See the LICENSE file that comes with this distribution for more details. perl v5.10.1 2010-03-25 Net::DRI::Logging::Syslog(3pm)