Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Referencing a range of parameters? Post 50782 by google on Sunday 2nd of May 2004 02:00:20 PM
Old 05-02-2004
$0 represents the script that is being executed, all other command line parameters will be numbered in series begining with $1, $2, $3, ..$n.

try something like this

Code:
while [ $# -gt 0 ]
do
   #Add whatever it is you want to accomplish here!

echo "Processing Parameter --> $1"

#Test To See if File Exists and is writable
   if [ ! -w $1 ]
    then
       echo "Sorry. Permission Denied."
   fi

#Get the next file.
   shift
done

Last edited by google; 05-02-2004 at 03:41 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing variables in commands

The script I am writing must be able to run several commands (tar, gzip etc) on filenames that are supplied by variables. I am unsure as to what syntax is required/ideal when referencing variables in filenames. The following is a sample command that I would like the script to execute: tar cvf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mharley
3 Replies

2. Programming

symbol referencing error

Undefined first referenced symbol in file std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(int)/var/tmp//ccTR std::cerr /var/tmp//ccTRcjui.o std::cout /var/tmp//ccTRcjui.o... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suhasini
1 Replies

3. Programming

Symbol referencing error

Hey everyone, I can't figure out this symbol referencing error after looking at it for the longest time, and I figured some fresh eyes might be able to point something out I am overlooking. Undefined first referenced symbol in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fromatz
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Back Referencing in SED

Hi, I have tried all examples of back referencing from the web but all in vain. It would be heavily helpful if someone explains me the use of back referencing and sub expression using an example of substitution. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sinpeak
1 Replies

5. AIX

tuning network parameters : parameters not persist after reboot

Hello, On Aix 5.2, we changed the parameters tcp_keepinit, tcp_keepintvl and tcp_keepidle with the no command. tunrestore -R is present in inittab in the directory /etc/tunables we can clearly see the inclusion of parameters during reboot, including the file lastboot.log ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dantares
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Referencing I/O

Is it possible to design a shell script to reference something that queries for input? (This is not to make a script to ssh) For instance if I have a command that when run, it does something like: %<Some command> User's password? Would it be possible to write a script to input something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Prodiga1
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable Referencing

I am referencing variables in the following way var1="greeting" greeting="Welcome!" How do I echo var1 in such a way that it outputs Welcome! ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milo7
3 Replies

8. Programming

Symbol referencing errors

Undefined first referenced symbol in file logf /var/tmp//ccwztFsO.o ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to a.out collect2: ld returned 1 exit status float exponC(float mean) { index1++;... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: willji1234
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Referencing file for values and referencing another file to replace values

Hi I have a file which has values in each line: MP304,d40000 MP310,ff0000 etc I have another file which as the first value in it and is unique in the file(not repeated). I need to replace a string with the second value above. The second file contents is as follows:(snippet) <g ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: majikins
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamically referencing a Path

How would I reference a source path (where I have a script pulling data from) that changes location? For example, a Mail folder is being used as a source to pull some data, but somebody could move the folder around in the GUI of Mail, changing it's location in the filesystem (that I am referencing... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
11 Replies
FAXSETUP(8C)															      FAXSETUP(8C)

NAME
faxsetup - setup a machine for use with HylaFAX SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxsetup [ -client ] [ -server ] [ -with-VAR[=value] ] DESCRIPTION
faxsetup is an interactive shell script that does the necessary setup work to configure a client or server machine for the HylaFAX soft- ware. faxsetup must be run on every HylaFAX server machine before the software will function-if a HylaFAX server program or script is invoked before faxsetup is run, the command will abort with a message that says to run faxsetup. faxsetup may optionally be run on a HylaFAX client machine to verify the configuration of the software. By default faxsetup checks a machine for use both as a HylaFAX client and server. Client-specific checks include: o the installation of client programs and data, o the installation of the Adobe Font Metric (AFM) information files used by the HylaFAX text formatting support. Server-specific checks include: o the installation of server programs and data, o the existence of the UUCP lock file directory, o the installation of the TIFF software tools, o the configuration of the getty programs invoked for data and voice calls, o the pathnames for various system programs used by server shell scripts, o proper support for FIFO special files, o proper installation of a POSTSCRIPT RIP, o definition of a ``fax'' user, o definitions for the ``hylafax'' and ``snpp'' services, o startup of the HylaFAX server processes: faxq(8C) and hfaxd(8C), o definition of a ``FaxMaster'' mail alias for reporting server problems. For server machines faxsetup also creates two files that are required by the HylaFAX command scripts. One file contains master configura- tion parameters and the other contains various definitions used by scripts such as faxaddmodem(8C) that communicate with modems. OPTIONS
-client Do client-specific consistency checks. -server Do server-specific consistency checks. -with-VAR[=value] Override the default definition for the configuration parameter named VAR; optionally specifying a new value (if no value is specified then ``yes'' is used). This option is especially useful to override the default settings for the POSTSCRIPT inter- preter package to use (e.g. ``-with-PS=dps''), the spooling directory (``-with-DIR_SPOOL=/mumble''), the directory where the tool applications of TIFF software distribution are located (``-with-TIFFBIN=/usr/freeware''), etc. A complete list of the possible parameters can be found by looking at the contents of the faxsetup shell script; many of these configuration parameters are also described in the online documentation -help Print a help message and terminate. -quiet Do not print verbose messages to the terminal. -verbose Print informative messages to the terminal (default). BUGS
faxsetup does not query a modem to find out its capabilities when invoking the faxmodem program to setup a server in a send-only configura- tion; it may be necessary to run faxmodem manually. FILES
/var/spool/fax/etc/setup.cache master configuration parameters /var/spool/fax/etc/setup.modem modem-related configuration support Consult hylafax-server(5F) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5F), hylafax-config(5F), faxq(8C), faxgetty(8C), faxmodem(8C), faxconfig(8C), faxsend(8C) August 26, 1996 FAXSETUP(8C)