Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: swap space / paging space
Operating Systems AIX swap space / paging space Post 50743 by Kelam_Magnus on Friday 30th of April 2004 02:28:30 PM
Old 04-30-2004
If you are referring to reducing swap space. AFAIK, you MUST reboot to disable swap...

IF you define swap in your /etc/fstab or /etc/vfstab or similar... you comment it out and then reboot...

To shrink it... do the same as above, then when you reboot. Then you will be able to reduce the size and then activate it. In HPUX, there is a swapon command to activate swap after creating it.
This User Gave Thanks to Kelam_Magnus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pageing space vs swap space

Hello, I would like to know if there is any difference between the pageing space and the swap space. Thank you in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VeroL
1 Replies

2. AIX

Paging space

Hello everyone I have 4g of paging space in my rootvg disk I´m going to reduce them to 1gb in my rootvg disk and add 3gb of paging space on my san disk. My rootvg disk is mirror. My question is I can do this on line ? and I can do with the mirror ? or I need to unmirror first my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
2 Replies

3. AIX

reduce used paging space

Hi I have used gzip on AIX and the used paging space has jumped from 7% to 20%. The gzip process is finished since a long time. But the used paging space is still the same. How to release this space ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bfarah
1 Replies

4. AIX

paging space

Hello everyone I have a doubt about how many paging space can have in the same disk. lsps -a Page Space Physical Volume Volume Group Size %Used Active Auto Type paging00 hdisk0 rootvg 3072MB 1 yes yes lv hd6 hdisk0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

5. AIX

LV without Paging Space

Hello dear friends, We have VG filevg which consists of 2 PVs when I rechecked the VG there is no Pagingspace LV.. The VG is usually Highly loaded because much reads and writes.. Is this a must to create Paging space on the specified LV? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

6. AIX

Paging space

Hi, I have paging size 2048M showed from topas and 10240M showed from "lsps -a", can anyone tell what is the difference? and how to change the PAGING SIZE (showed in topas) to 8192M? Can you please tell in detail step? Thanks! Victor #topas Topas Monitor for host: egsprc01dev ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: victorcheung
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vmstat and paging ... how to interpret and get currently swap space size

Hi, OS = Solaris 5.10 I need some guidance on interpreting vmstat to confirm whether my server is swapping or not. Can anyone please advise whether the column to check on the vmstat output is the pi column, does higher pi values means the server is swapping or am having swapping issues? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

8. Linux

How to reclaim the space which i used to increse the swap space on Xen,

Hi, i have done a blunder here, i increased the swap space on Xen5.6 server machine using below steps :- 1056 dd if=/dev/zero of=/root/myswapfile bs=1M count=1024 1057 ls -l /root/myswapfile 1058 chmod 600 /root/myswapfile 1059 mkswap /root/myswapfile 1060 swapon /root/myswapfile ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apm
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to monitor swap space paging activity?

hi guys My tivoli monitoring tools is reporting the monitor parameters says Pages Paged out is too high 1600 so it is a critical warning (threshold 400) now according to them this usually happens at dawn so is there a way to monitor this? during the time I am not working? ans something... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlochacon
1 Replies

10. AIX

No Paging Space Available

Whilst perfoming some tests on lvm's I managed to crash our test box. No real problem as it is only used by our tech team. however I would like to know why this was actually caused as the task being performed at the time was one which I though would not have any impact. Using dd I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tugger
5 Replies
SWAPON(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						 SWAPON(8)

NAME
swapon, swapoff, swapctl -- specify devices for paging and swapping SYNOPSIS
swapon [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapoff [-F fstab] -aLq | file ... swapctl [-AghklmsU] [-a file ... | -d file ...] DESCRIPTION
The swapon, swapoff and swapctl utilities are used to control swap devices in the system. At boot time all swap entries in /etc/fstab are added automatically when the system goes multi-user. Swap devices use a fixed interleave; the maximum number of devices is unlimited. There is no priority mechanism. The swapon utility adds the specified swap devices to the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be added, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be added as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is added. The swapoff utility removes the specified swap devices from the system. If the -a option is used, all swap devices in /etc/fstab will be removed, unless their ``noauto'' or ``late'' option is also set. If the -L option is specified, swap devices with the ``late'' option will be removed as well as ones with no option. If the -q option is used, informational messages will not be written to standard output when a swap device is removed. Note that swapoff will fail and refuse to remove a swap device if there is insufficient VM (memory + remaining swap devices) to run the system. The swapoff utility must move swapped pages out of the device being removed which could lead to high system loads for a period of time, depending on how much data has been swapped out to that device. Other options supported by both swapon and swapoff are as follows: -F fstab Specify the fstab file to use. The swapctl utility exists primarily for those familiar with other BSDs and may be used to add, remove, or list swap devices. Note that the -a option is used differently in swapctl and indicates that a specific list of devices should be added. The -d option indicates that a spe- cific list should be removed. The -A and -U options to swapctl operate on all swap entries in /etc/fstab which do not have their ``noauto'' option set. Swap information can be generated using the swapinfo(8) utility, pstat -s, or swapctl -l. The swapctl utility has the following options for listing swap: -h Output values in human-readable form. -g Output values in gigabytes. -k Output values in kilobytes. -m Output values in megabytes. -l List the devices making up system swap. -s Print a summary line for system swap. The BLOCKSIZE environment variable is used if not specifically overridden. 512 byte blocks are used by default. FILES
/dev/{ada,da}?s?b standard paging devices /dev/md? memory disk devices /etc/fstab ASCII file system description table DIAGNOSTICS
These utilities may fail for the reasons described in swapon(2). SEE ALSO
swapon(2), fstab(5), init(8), mdconfig(8), pstat(8), rc(8) HISTORY
The swapon utility appeared in 4.0BSD. The swapoff and swapctl utilities appeared in FreeBSD 5.1. BSD
November 22, 2013 BSD