Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replace *.sqc files with *.sqC extension Post 50584 by zazzybob on Tuesday 27th of April 2004 05:39:39 PM
Old 04-27-2004
Still requires multiple commands, but in the Korn shell, you can do
Code:
for file in *.c; do _file=${file%%.c}.cpp; mv $file $_file; done

on a single line, although it hampers readability....

That will rename all .c files to .cpp in the current directory.

Peace,
ZB
http://www.zazzybob.com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Files without extension

I am brand new to hp unix systems. I see some files without extension on this system. If I type name of the file it shows me so many detail but does not take me back to command prompt. What are these files and how do I come back to command prompt? Please help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajahindustani
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Checking files extension

Hi, I need one line command to display all files that ends with .scr. Example: In a directory I have 10 files, out of that 4 files have filetype extension .dat and 4 files with .scr and 2 files with .txt.... In this i want to display only files that ends with .scr. I tried some commands,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to compress files without extension

Could someone please help? I'm trying to compress all the files in a directory without extension. I know for typical files with extension, the command is something like: tar -zcvf file.tar.gz *.doc What is the command for files without extension? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: AChan1118
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace file name extension in loop

Hi! I have this shell script that I need to finish. Currently I need to fix one line to make it work. I need to change a file extension. See this code, is pretty simple. #!/bin/sh # Extensions OLD_EXT=.flv NEW_EXT=.mp4 COUNT_FILES=$(ls -l *$OLD_EXT | grep ^- | wc -l) if ; then ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pulsorock
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list files with no extension together with *.prog files?

Hi, I know that to list files with no extension, we can use.. ls -1 | grep -v "\." And to list .prog files, we can use.. ls -1 *.prog or ls -1 | grep '.prog$' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adshocker
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Replace extension of filename stored in a variable

Hi there, I have a small question (most like a true beginners question :) ). In a script I have a filename stored in variable (vFile). Through the an input parameter this variable gets its value (for instance cookie.txt). Two new variables are created with the value of vFile, but with a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rberkers
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python - glob () - How to grep same files with different extension files

Hi I Have a directory and i have some files below abc.txt abc.gif gtee.txt ghod.pid umni.log unmi.tar How can use glob function to grep abc files , i have created a variable "text" and i assigned value as "abc", please suggest me how can we use glob.glob( ) to get the output as below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumar85shiv
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display the .csv extension files based on .done extension fine

Hi All, I want to fetch the files based on .done file and display the .csv files and Wil take .csv files for processing. 1.I need to display the .done files from the directory. 2.next i need to search for the .Csv files based on .done file.then move .csv files for the one directory ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: girija.g6
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Listing files with an certain extension

I'm suppose to write a command that would list all files that end in .tx with an optional t at the end. So far all I got is listing the files that end in .tx which is: ls *.tx Now my problem is how do I add the optional t at the end. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shawn565
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find command + replace the extension (.xxx) by *

Hello, I'm on HP Unix and in a Job, I tried to extract all files from a folder, and replace the extension (.xxxx) by '*' , remove duplicates and move the result in a file.. Example : Folder has : ABC, CCC.txt, CCC.sf, CCC.sfd, DDD I need to generate and output file with : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royinfo.alain
6 Replies
GENDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							GENDIFF(1)

NAME
gendiff - utility to aid in error-free diff file generation SYNOPSIS
gendiff <directory> <diff-extension> DESCRIPTION
gendiff is a rather simple script which aids in generating a diff file from a single directory. It takes a directory name and a "diff- extension" as its only arguments. The diff extension should be a unique sequence of characters added to the end of all original, unmodi- fied files. The output of the program is a diff file which may be applied with the patch program to recreate the changes. The usual sequence of events for creating a diff is to create two identical directories, make changes in one directory, and then use the diff utility to create a list of differences between the two. Using gendiff eliminates the need for the extra, original and unmodified directory copy. Instead, only the individual files that are modified need to be saved. Before editing a file, copy the file, appending the extension you have chosen to the filename. I.e. if you were going to edit somefile.cpp and have chosen the extension "fix", copy it to somefile.cpp.fix before editing it. Then edit the first copy (somefile.cpp). After editing all the files you need to edit in this fashion, enter the directory one level above where your source code resides, and then type $ gendiff somedirectory .fix > mydiff-fix.patch You should redirect the output to a file (as illustrated) unless you want to see the results on stdout. SEE ALSO
diff(1), patch(1) AUTHOR
Marc Ewing <marc@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Mon Jan 10 2000 GENDIFF(1)