Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restore to disk from tape
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Restore to disk from tape Post 50560 by mtoombs on Tuesday 27th of April 2004 08:27:54 AM
Old 04-27-2004
Restore to disk from tape

I have been restoring from tape some old data. I have done quite a few tapes and have had no problems until now.

The command I am running is "dd if=/dev/rmt/1hbn bs=1024 | tar -pBxF - ".

This is the second tape have have come up with the error "Not enough space". This tape has a couple of hundred files on it and I don't want to have to sit here in type in each file name.

Any one have any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Restore Spacific File Type from TAPE ?!

Hi I just want to know if there's any way to restore a spacific file type from a tape using tar command. I have different file type in 4mm tape. *.pds ; *.txt *.lis and some more. I just want to restore *.pds from the tape and Ignore the other file type.( FILTER A FILE TYPE FROM THE TAPE)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geoquest
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tape Restore Problems!!!

Hi. I have been having problems with restoring from a tape backup. I use the following cpio command: find / -print | cpio -ouvB > /dev/rStp0 After running this cpio command, the screen will display all files, but when I try to read or restore the tape I get the following error: Tape input... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cstovall
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Backup Tape Restore?

I am trying to do a restore on a backup tape (DDS2) and am having a little trouble. For one, I dont know how the tape was made, whether is was tar, cpio, dump..etc. Anyone know how to restore a tape without knowing the format of the backup? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bake255
5 Replies

4. AIX

Restore a tape

Hello everyone I have a tape with some information that I got to restore, the tape was made with the fbackup command in a hp box. My question is that I have to restore in a Ibm box, how can I do this ? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
1 Replies

5. SCO

Restore from HP Tape Drive

Here is the scenario. We have an billing system that ran on SCO 5.0.6. The HP Netserver went dwon, along with SCSI disks. They are unretrievable. I installed an IDE HDD, and reinstalled SCO. I am not too familiar w/ SCO or UNIX, and need to know how to install Tape drive, and how to restore from... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlewis808
11 Replies

6. SCO

SCO UNIX tape restore

I am a mewbie to UNIX. I am using SCO Open Server 5 to run a legacy medical billing program "MDX" I have backup tapes made on HP DataStore8 which have the application and data files. Recently unable to login as individual user but can log into root. Previous commands that had restored the system... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: canbe842
5 Replies

7. Solaris

FLAR Tape Backup/Restore

I have a T2000 server that is JumpStarted with Solaris 10 from the JumpStart server. Host name and IP address is changed after that. Then we backup the server using FLAR to tape: root.damas# date; flarcreate -c -t -n "Sol10_cairo_image" -a "engineering@starsolutions.com" -R / /dev/rmt/0n ;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: StarSol
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 restore from tape

Hope someone can help me here... I've got to restore an E450 with 300MHz cpus which was running Solaris 2.6 from tape. Regrettably the boot drive has failed. I've access to the first release of Solaris 2.6 CD's and to a set of Solaris 9 CD's. I remember that different E450 CPUs needed different... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pamplemousse
1 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Can't restore my deleted etc from tape

Hi I recently deleted my /etc but I had a backup on tape. I was able to boot the server with a cd-rom and mounted the /c1t0d0s0 which is where the root directory resides. However when I tried to restore the backup with tar xvf /dev/rmt/0n I wasn't successful even though I was able to use the tar... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahmantanko
2 Replies

10. AIX

Restore directory and contents from tape

Hi, I have taken a backup of a directory on my tape in using below command cd /backup find * -print|backup -ivf '/dev/rmt0' '-U' |tee -a /syslogs/backup.log and output appear in below format. a 0 rman-before-08032014 a 58403323904... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_raheelahmed
2 Replies
ndmpstat(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      ndmpstat(1M)

NAME
ndmpstat - show NDMP backup progress statistics SYNOPSIS
ndmpstat [tapes] [interval [count]] DESCRIPTION
The ndmpstat utility reports Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) statistics, among which are NDMP worker threads, disk IO, tape IO, files operation, performance, and backup activity. ndmpstat reports the aggregate statistics for all tapes and disks. In order to obtain statistics for specific tape devices, the tape device name should be passed as argument to the utility. When invoked, ndmpstat begins its display with a one-line summary of the NDMP daemon activity since the NDMP service was invoked. Display Fields The fields in ndmpstat output are described as follows: wthr Report the number of worker threads in each of the four following states: r the number of worker threads running w the number of blocked worker threads that are waiting for resources such as I/O and paging b the number of backup operations currently running r the number of restore operations currently running file Report on usage of filesystem. rd the number of files being read wr the number of files being written disk Report the number of disk operations per interval. rd the number of disk blocks being read wr the number of disk blocks being written tape Report the number of tape operations per interval. There are slots for up to four tapes, labeled with a single number. The number indi- cates the name of the device under /dev/rmt. rd the number of tape blocks being read wr the number of tape blocks being written bytes Report the number of bytes transferred. This is the aggregate value of both tape and disk devices. The number is in kilobytes. rd the number of kilobytes being read wr the number of kilobytes being written perf Displays a rough estimate of performance of the backup/restore operation in megabytes per second. bk backup performance rs restore performance prcnt Display the comparative usage of resources, in percent. dsk disk I/O time tpe tape I/O time otr other time (memory or idle) See EXAMPLES. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: count Specifies the number of times that the statistics display is repeated. tape Specifies which tapes are to be given priority in the output. A command line is limited to a maximum of four tape devices. A common tape name is /dev/rmt/n, where n is an integer. interval Specifies the number of seconds over which ndmpstat summarizes activity. The specified interval remains in effect till the com- mand is terminated. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Using ndmpstat The following command displays a summary of NDMP daemon activity at five-second intervals. example% ndmpstat 5 wthr file disk tape bytes perf prcnt r w b r rd wr rd wr rd wr rd wr bk rs dsk tpe otr 1 0 3 6 50 9 1250 0 32544 4455 42335 3234 5 4 20 40 40 1 0 0 1 1 0 128 0 0 128 64 64 1 0 0 80 20 1 0 0 1 2 0 128 0 0 0 64 0 1 0 80 0 20 1 0 0 1 1 0 128 0 0 0 64 0 1 0 80 0 20 1 0 0 1 3 0 128 0 0 0 64 0 0 0 80 0 20 1 0 0 1 1 0 128 0 0 128 64 64 1 0 0 80 20 ^C example% ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWndmpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |See below | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ Invocation is evolving. Human readable output is unstable. SEE ALSO
iostat(1M), mpstat(1M), ndmpd(1M), ndmpadm(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
Performance numbers are not accurate and are rounded up at the MB/sec. boundary. SunOS 5.11 21 Jun 2007 ndmpstat(1M)