Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers display few lines of the file Post 50489 by sharuvman on Monday 26th of April 2004 12:18:59 AM
Old 04-26-2004
display few lines of the file

Hi,

If I want to have a look at few lines of the file, how do I, what command to use.

Eg: If I have a file having length 2000 lines and I want to have a look at the content between 1400 and 1600, How do I look at it ?

Also, If I want to have a look at function alone in a file, how do I go about it ?

Eg: If I have a file with 7 functions and Main part. And one function is :

sub sample
{

----
----
----
return 1;
}

And If I want to get only the contents of this function from file, How do I get it ?

Thanks,
Sharath

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

display a portion of lines from file

This is truly dummy question. I have a text file of 100 lines. What unix commnad to extract line 20 to 40 and output it to another file? Is it something cat or grep or >> ? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display lines of the file on a log

Hi, I am using the Korn shell script to display lines of the file. For example below: outputfile=test.dat -- display each line of the test.dat file abcd 345 adek 45566 dve3 34565 so on... I appreciate your time to find a command for displaying lines of the file on the log. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbryant
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display file without # lines

Hi to all in this great forum, im sure this has been asked lots of times before but ive been looking for the past day and cant find the answer. I use cat/some/file to display its contents but how can i get it to not display hashed out lines, or do i need another command, Thanks in advance:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dave123
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and display lines from a file

I have to grep on a few words in a file and then display the line containing those words and the line above it. For ex - File1.txt contains... abc xyz abc This is a test Test successful abc xyz abc Just a test Test successful I find the words 'Test successful' in the file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: user7617
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse a file to display lines containing a word

Hi! I'm trying to create a shell script to parse a file which might have multiple lines matching a pattern (i.e. containing some word). I need to return all lines matching the pattern, but stripping the contents of that line until the pattern is matched For example, if my input file was ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: orno
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display only the first two characters of all the lines from a file.

how do i Display only the first two characters of all the lines from a file.? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ritusubash
1 Replies

7. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to display only the lines from a file which do not contain a given number

a. How do I display the content of the file containing what Ive merged using a filter which would display only the lines of the file which don't contain number, for example 3 or 6. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: herberwz
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to display lines in a file in a particular format

I have a bunch of files in various folders. I want to go through each of them and display certain lines in a particular format All files have a similar format Date: Time: User: Message: Miscellaneous: (and some other stuff)I want to display to only the "Date:", "Time:" "User:" lines in... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbiegal01
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display specific lines content from the file

Hell, I want to grep certain word from file and display above 2 lines and after two lines. Here is the content of sample file. Mar 14, 2013 12:56:59 AM Agent.Agent SendTo INFO: Connection to server:7041 - Credential Transmit Successesful Mar 14, 2013 8:54:21 AM cgent SendTo WARNING:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balareddy
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To display last 5 lines of a file

Hi Guys, I want to echo last 5 lines of a file to a mail. My script getting continuously looped and not getting the output. can anyone help? #!/bin/bash read karthick; tail -5 $karthick; echo $karthick | mail -s "genius" someone@gmail.com Thanks NK (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Karthick N
2 Replies
CURSES_SCROLL(3)					   BSD Library Functions Manual 					  CURSES_SCROLL(3)

NAME
curses_scroll, scrl, wscrl scroll, scrollok, setscrreg, wsetscrreg -- curses window scrolling routines LIBRARY
Curses Library (libcurses, -lcurses) SYNOPSIS
#include <curses.h> int scrl(int n); int wscrl(WINDOW *win, int n); int scroll(WINDOW *win); int scrollok(WINDOW *win, boolf flag); int setscrreg(int top, int bottom); int wsetscrreg(WINDOW *win, int top, int bottom); DESCRIPTION
These functions scroll areas on stdscr or on the specified window. The scrl() function scrolls stdscr by n lines. If n is positive then then stdscr is scrolled up. n lines are lost from the top of stdscr and n blank lines are inserted at the bottom. If n is negative then stdscr is scrolled down. n blank lines are inserted at the top of stdscr and n lines are lost from the bottom. The wscrl() function is the same as the scrl() function, excepting that it scrolls the window specified by win. The scroll() function scrolls the window win up by one line. The scrolling behaviour of a window can be controlled by using the scrollok() function. If the flag argument is TRUE then a line wrap at the bottom of the window will cause the window to be scrolled up one line, if flag is FALSE then lines that would force a scroll will be trun- cated. The setscrreg() function sets up a software scrolling region on stdscr which will define a region of the screen that will be scrolled. The scrolling of this region is also controlled by the scrollok() function. The wsetscrreg() function does the same as the setscrreg() function, except that the scrolling region is set on the window specified by win. If a scrolling region has been set with the setscrreg() or wsetscrreg() functions and the current cursor position is inside the scrolling region, then only the area inside the scrolling region is scrolled. RETURN VALUES
Functions returning pointers will return NULL if an error is detected. The functions that return an int will return one of the following values: OK The function completed successfully. ERR An error occurred in the function. SEE ALSO
curses_deleteln(3), curses_insdelln(3), curses_insertln(3) STANDARDS
The NetBSD Curses library complies with the X/Open Curses specification, part of the Single Unix Specification. HISTORY
The Curses package appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
August 12, 2002 BSD