Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: inode = which block
Operating Systems Solaris inode = which block Post 50323 by Optimus_P on Wednesday 21st of April 2004 02:41:54 PM
Old 04-21-2004
what do you mean auto-defrag? as far as i know there is no defraging. if you mean how ufs allocates full block for largefiles first then allocates fragments for small files (i believe anything less then 2gb) first. but ufs does not have a defrag that i know about. you can specifiy what fragment size you want when createing the new fs bu the default is 1kb. each block can be devided into 1,2,4, or 8 fragments.

you might be able to use fstyp -v to figure out which cylinder your inode is on. do find out the inode you can use ls -i.

it wouldnt make much sense if each dir got a whole cylinder because each dir eats up an inode what if you have less inodes then you have cylinders?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to map a disk block to filename/ Inode

Hi, I want to find out a particular disk block belong to which file. in solaris 2.8 Can anyone help. Thanks and Regards Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

2. AIX

%Inode used full

Hello I have used 100% of inode in a file system can you increase thie number of inode without backup-make the file system again-restore ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

INode

hi i am nitin... jus a new kid on the block... my query is... does the concept of region invovle sharin of inodes wen the sticky it is set... eg... if two process share two text regions... wat actually happens thank u (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinsharma_ssn
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incore inode

Dear Friend , what is incore inode ? and what is difference between incore inode and inode ????? sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjaygoyan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

about inode

how can i see inode table information of a perticler inode.anybody knows pls tell me. Than.Q (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag.mi2000
3 Replies

7. AIX

FS inode 58%

Hi Guys, I have this filesystem got big with inode: /dev/hd4 3670016 183664 95% 63705 58% /var I don't know why the system doesn't give alerts on this FS although it's 95% and why the inode is 58%. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

8. Solaris

how inode works

HI, Just another dummies questions: How i can determine what number of inode to use when creating filesystem? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

9. Solaris

inode in solaris

Dear, How can i check inode information in my Solaris box? With Regards, Mjoshi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deciding whether to get a buffer cache block or inode block

I was reading a book on UNIX internals "The design of the UNIX Operating system." There are two memory structures that are confusing me: 1) Buffer cache 2) Inode cache My questions are 1) Does a process get both buffer cache and Indoe cache allocated when it opens/creates a file? 2) if no,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
1 Replies
FFSINFO(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						FFSINFO(8)

NAME
ffsinfo -- dump all meta information of an existing ufs file system SYNOPSIS
ffsinfo [-g cylinder_group] [-i inode] [-l level] [-o outfile] special | file DESCRIPTION
The ffsinfo utility extends the dumpfs(8) utility. The output is appended to the file outfile. Also expect the output file to be rather large. Up to 2 percent of the size of the specified file system is not uncommon. The following options are available: -g cylinder_group This restricts the dump to information about this cylinder group only. Here 0 means the first cylinder group and -1 the last one. -i inode This restricts the dump to information about this particular inode only. Here the minimum acceptable inode is 2. If this option is omitted but a cylinder group is defined then only inodes within that cylinder group are dumped. -l level The level of detail which will be dumped. This value defaults to 255 and is the ``bitwise or'' of the following table: 0x001 initial superblock 0x002 superblock copies in each cylinder group 0x004 cylinder group summary in initial cylinder group 0x008 cylinder group information 0x010 inode allocation bitmap 0x020 fragment allocation bitmap 0x040 cluster maps and summary 0x100 inode information 0x200 indirect block dump -o outfile This sets the output filename where the dump is written to, and must be specified. If - is provided, output will be sent to stdout. EXAMPLES
ffsinfo -o /var/tmp/ffsinfo -l 1023 /dev/vinum/testvol will dump /dev/vinum/testvol to /var/tmp/ffsinfo with all available information. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), dumpfs(8), fsck(8), growfs(8), gvinum(8), newfs(8), tunefs(8) HISTORY
The ffsinfo utility first appeared in FreeBSD 4.4. AUTHORS
Christoph Herrmann <chm@FreeBSD.org> Thomas-Henning von Kamptz <tomsoft@FreeBSD.org> The GROWFS team <growfs@Tomsoft.COM> BUGS
Snapshots are handled like plain files. They should get their own level to provide for independent control of the amount of what gets dumped. It probably also makes sense to some extend to dump the snapshot as a file system. BSD
September 8, 2000 BSD