Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: inode = which block
Operating Systems Solaris inode = which block Post 50321 by Perderabo on Wednesday 21st of April 2004 02:30:42 PM
Old 04-21-2004
I doubt that anyone walks around with those formulas in their head. But all of the macros are in /usr/include/sys/fs/ufs_*.h and you can get the raw data by using "fstyp -v".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to map a disk block to filename/ Inode

Hi, I want to find out a particular disk block belong to which file. in solaris 2.8 Can anyone help. Thanks and Regards Bala (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Balamurugan
1 Replies

2. AIX

%Inode used full

Hello I have used 100% of inode in a file system can you increase thie number of inode without backup-make the file system again-restore ? thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

INode

hi i am nitin... jus a new kid on the block... my query is... does the concept of region invovle sharin of inodes wen the sticky it is set... eg... if two process share two text regions... wat actually happens thank u (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinsharma_ssn
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Inode number

as kernel keeps track of user activities on a file by its INODE number and I node table . what is the structure of Inode table. and where does this Inode table mapped into?user space or kernel space? is the Inode Number is fixed for a file till its deletion? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: compbug
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

incore inode

Dear Friend , what is incore inode ? and what is difference between incore inode and inode ????? sanjay (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjaygoyan
1 Replies

6. Solaris

about inode

how can i see inode table information of a perticler inode.anybody knows pls tell me. Than.Q (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag.mi2000
3 Replies

7. AIX

FS inode 58%

Hi Guys, I have this filesystem got big with inode: /dev/hd4 3670016 183664 95% 63705 58% /var I don't know why the system doesn't give alerts on this FS although it's 95% and why the inode is 58%. Any comments will be highly appreciated. Thanks, itik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itik
1 Replies

8. Solaris

how inode works

HI, Just another dummies questions: How i can determine what number of inode to use when creating filesystem? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamoul
4 Replies

9. Solaris

inode in solaris

Dear, How can i check inode information in my Solaris box? With Regards, Mjoshi (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mjoshi87
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deciding whether to get a buffer cache block or inode block

I was reading a book on UNIX internals "The design of the UNIX Operating system." There are two memory structures that are confusing me: 1) Buffer cache 2) Inode cache My questions are 1) Does a process get both buffer cache and Indoe cache allocated when it opens/creates a file? 2) if no,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreeharshasn
1 Replies
fstyp(1M)						  System Administration Commands						 fstyp(1M)

NAME
fstyp - determine file system type SYNOPSIS
fstyp [-v] special DESCRIPTION
fstyp allows the user to determine the file system type of unmounted file systems using heuristic programs. An fstyp module for each file system type to be checked is executed; each of these modules applies an appropriate heuristic to determine whether the supplied special file is of the type for which it checks. If it is, the program prints on standard output the usual file sys- tem identifier for that type (for example, ``ufs'') and exits with a return code of 0; if none of the modules succeed, the error message unknown_fstyp (no matches) is returned and the exit status is 1. If more than one module succeeds, the error message unknown_fstyp (multi- ple matches) is returned and the exit status is 2. OPTIONS
-v Produce verbose output. This is usually information about the file systems superblock and varies across different FSTypes. See ufs(7FS), mkfs_ufs(1M), and tunefs(1M) for details. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of fstyp when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkfs_ufs(1M), tunefs(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5), hsfs(7FS), ufs(7FS), pcfs(7FS) NOTES
The use of heuristics implies that the result of fstyp is not guaranteed to be accurate. SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 2003 fstyp(1M)