Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting PERL: wait for process to complete Post 50124 by dangral on Friday 16th of April 2004 11:57:23 AM
Old 04-16-2004
PERL: wait for process to complete

I'm using PERL on windows NT to try to run an extract of data. I have multiple zip files in multiple locations. I am extracting "*.t" from zip files and subsequently adding that file to one zip file so when the script is complete I should have one zip file with a whole bunch of ".t" files in it.

The problem comes after I extract the ".t" file and try to zip it up again, the file is not yet in the directory so zip cannot find the file. I have commented out the code beneath the zip command while testing the program.
Please help!

Code:
###Get generation directory information ###
open(GENDIR, "<gens.txt") or die "Can't open gens.txt $!";
while(<GENDIR>){
	chop($_);
	push(@gendirs,$_)
}	

## Unzip .t file into stage directory ##
for $i (0 .. $#gendirs){  
   	($gennum)=(split /\\G/, $gendirs[$i])[1];
	#print "$gennum\n";
	print "unzip -d \\stage -j $gendirs[$i]\\*.zip *.t\n";
	system("unzip -d \\stage -j $gendirs[$i]\\*.zip *.t");
##zip .t file ##
	system("zip -v -9 \\stage\\vista.zip ${gennum}.t");
	#open(GENS, "<listofGens.dat") or die "Can't open listofGens.dat $!";
	#while(<GENS>){
		#chop($_);
		#if ($_=~/^$gennum\|/){
			#($repname)=(split /\|/)[1];
			#print "$repname\n";
			#print "${gennum}.t";
			#print "\nrename \\stage\\${gennum}.t \\stage\\$repname\n";
			#system("rename stage\\${gennum}.t stage\\$repname");
			#last;
		#} 

#}
	#close(GENS);
}

#open(GENS, "<listofGens.dat") or die "Can't open listofGens.dat $!";
#while(<GENS>){
#}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process Wait on DG UX

Does anyone know what the equivalent command to pwait on Solaris is on DG/UX. I need my script to kick off a process and wait till it is complete before continuing with the script. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fabbas
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for Background Process to complete

I am attempting within a for-loop, to have my shell script (Solaris v8 ksh) wait until a copy file command to complete before continueing. The specific code is: for files in $(<inputfile.lst) do mv directory/$files directory/$files ksh -m -i bg %% wait $! done I am shaky on the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gozer13
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

wait command - cat it wait for not-chile process?

Did not use 'wait' yet. How I understand by now the wait works only for child processes, started background. Is there any other way to watch completion of any, not related process (at least, a process, owned by the same user?) I need to start a background process, witch will be waiting... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

wait process

can any one please give me clear idea of wait process in UNIX system. I am using AIX 5.3 and see loots of wait process. I have very basic concept of wait process. If CPU has nothing to do then a wait process is generated per CPU. But i want know the detail how is it forked. Is wait a jombe... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pchangba1
2 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

hdparm + HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl

Hi All, Am finding performance of my SD card using hdparm. hdparm -tT /dev/BlockDev0 /dev/BlockDev0: Timing cached reads: 1118 MB in 2.00 seconds = 558.61 MB/sec HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(null) (wait for flush complete) failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device Timing buffered disk reads: 14... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amio
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make the parent process to wait for the child process

Hi All, I have two ksh script. 1st script calls the 2nd script and the second script calls an 'C' program. I want 1st script to wait until the 'C' program completes. I cant able to get the process id for the 'C' program (child process) to make the 1st script to wait for the second... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sennidurai
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you wait for command substitution processes to complete?

When running a command using the >(cmd) syntax in bash how do you wait for the command to complete before moving on in your script? Here is a simple example: zcat largefile.gz | tee >(wc && echo “HELLO”) > /dev/null # I tried wait, here but it doesn't wait for the process in the subshell.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrvwman
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wait for one processes to complete in a shell script

Let's say I start process A.sh, then start process B.sh. I call both of them in my C.sh How can I make sure that B starts its execution only after A.sh finishes. I have to do this in loop.Execution time of A.sh may vary everytime. It is a parameterized script. (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
17 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Shell Script Does Second Command Wait For First Command To Complete

Hi All, I have a question related to Shell scripting. In my shell script, I have following two commands in sequence: sed 's/^/grep "^120" /g' $ORIGCHARGEDAMTLIST|sed "s;$;| cut -f$FIELD_NO1 -d '|' | awk '{ sum+=\$1} END {printf (\"%0.2f\\\n\", sum/100)}' >$TEMPFILE mv $TEMPFILE $ORIGFILE... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script parallel tasks and command to wait untill complete?

Hello, im having bash script with while *** command1 && command2 && command3 && done i want to ask how i can prevent overloading server, by waiting untill all commands complete? any low resources intensive command like "wait" - i dont know if exist? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: postcd
2 Replies
ZIPMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ZIPMERGE(1)

NAME
zipmerge - merge zip archives SYNOPSIS
zipmerge [-DhIiSsV] target-zip source-zip Op source-zip ... DESCRIPTION
zipmerge merges the source zip archives source-zip into the target zip archive target-zip. By default, files in the source zip archives overwrite existing files of the same name in the target zip archive. Supported options: -D Ignore directory components in file name comparisons. -h Display a short help message and exit. -I Ignore case in file name comparisons -i Ask before overwriting files. See also -s. -S Do not overwrite files that have the same size and CRC32 in both the source and target archives. -s When -i is given, do not before overwriting files that have the same size and CRC32. -V Display version information and exit. EXIT STATUS
zipmerge exits 0 on success and 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
zipcmp(1), ziptorrent(1), libzip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH June 4, 2008 ZIPMERGE(1)