Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Struggling with mkfifo
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Struggling with mkfifo Post 49973 by alan on Wednesday 14th of April 2004 05:01:55 PM
Old 04-14-2004
Quote:
This does not make a lot of sense.
So-rry your Unix-ness...Smilie I should have been more specific & I apologize: I'm still very new to Unix. I meant to say that on the machine I work on, I (as a user) can only use MKFIFO.

If I do `mknod bla`, I get an error message "mknod: must be super-user". BTW, I tried to do the same thing as you did: it did not work.

[dev1@la]/home/dev1% mknod bla p
[dev1@la]/home/dev1% cat bla &
[2] 23119
[dev1@la]/home/dev1% echo "hello world" > bla
ksh: bla: cannot create

I am working in my /home directory. What am I doing wrong?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

struggling with addusr ...

I'm completely new to UNIX, and having got the hang of directory navigation / creation (Just about), I think it is time to create an FTP account, so that I can upload a web site remotely. Herein lies the problem... 1: I cannot find a breakdown of addusr commands, so I cannot create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dufty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with a text file

Hi, I am struggling with the following... I try to grep out information of a text file I got with lynx, a text browser. The text file I get from lynx with dump is attached in the bottom. What I would like to get is another file containing the astro-ph/98324 (number) and title and list of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: pau
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help- Unix File Compare- Struggling

I had posted this earlier about 3 weeks ago and had recieved a response and I did sort both the files and the comm command is still not working. Can someone please assist me, I would really appreciate it. Below is what I am trying to do I need to compare File A with File B and create FILE C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

struggling within awk

!#/bin/bash cat input.sh | awk ' { cur1=tolower($1) cur2=tolower($2) rsh $cur1 report | grep $cur2 # i just want to make the code line to work } ' the error which i get is .... ./madh1.sh: line 1: !#/bin/bash: No such file or directory awk: cmd. line:13: rsh $cur1 report |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geeko
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with arrays and delimited file

Hi, I am trying to use arrays in my script but can not seem to get it to work. I have a file called sections, this contains headers from a tripwire log file, separated by "@" but could be "," if easier The headers will be used to cut sections from the log file into another to be mailed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with AWK

I know this is an easy problem, but I've been struggling with it all morning and finally admit I need help. I have two files that I need to compare. After doing this the easy way (grep -F) I realize that there are other fields in file2 that match field1 in file1, so I turned to awk. I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
7 Replies

7. Programming

Help with Mkfifo and exec

Hello guys! I am doing a project for the university and I have to do that a process has to create several children through fork(). The father process sends a pathname to each one through exec and the children must send to the father a list with the files from each directory. The father is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dano88
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with Mkfifo and exec

Hello guys! I am doing a project for the university and I have to do that a process has to create several children through fork(). The father process sends a pathname to each one through exec and the children must send to the father a list with the files from each directory. The father... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dano88
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling to combine two Greps statements

Greetings! I have been tasked to create a report off files we receive from our hardware suppliers. I need to grep these files for two fields 'Test_Version' and 'Model-Manufacturer' ; for each field, I need to capture their corresponding values. When running each statement separately, I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file: struggling against sed command

Hello fellows, Sure you can help this poor guy that is struggling against sed command, being unable to tame it I have a lot of files like this: From this one, I need to obtain values highlighted in bold/red To do so, I am executing this piece of code inside a loop: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
10 Replies
LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)					  LogReport's Lire Documentation				      LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)

NAME
lr_deanonymize - restore anonymized data, using a dump as produced by lr_anonymize(1) SYNOPSIS
lr_deanonymize dumpfilestem DESCRIPTION
lr_deanonymize is typically used when receiving anonymized reports from a responder. See the section on "Processing The Responder's Results" in the chapter on "Using A Responder" in the Lire User Manual for usage examples. lr_deanonymize reads a file containing anonymized emailaddresses, ipnumbers, and hostnames (typically a report, generated from a logfile from an internet service) from stdin, and prints a "deanonymized" version of this file to stdout. It reads its information to do this from a bunch of Berkeley DB's, stored in files whose's names are derived from dumpfilestem, as produced by lr_anonymize(1). EXAMPLE
A 'logfile' like e.g. blaat fkrf 1.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] pietje@bigcompany.com bla 1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat 1.2.3.4 fkrf 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla 1 www.hotsex.com 2 3 lj;agas;gag jan@blaat.frut.com agagag blaat fkrf 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla pietje@bigcompany.com www.hotsex.com 234.34.2.0 jan@blaat.frut.com 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat fkrf tweede 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa] bla 1.2.3.4 1 blablabla.com 2 mdcc.cx 3 lj;agas;gag wil get anonymized to blaat fkrf 1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] john.doe.1@example.com bla 1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat 10.0.0.1 fkrf 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla 1 1.example.com 2 3 lj;agas;gag john.doe.2@example.com agagag blaat fkrf 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla john.doe.1@example.com 1.example.com 10.0.0.2 john.doe.2@example.com 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa1 2 3 lj;agas;gag blaat fkrf tweede 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa] bla 10.0.0.1 1 2.example.com 2 3.example.com 3 lj;agas;gag The dump will look like ip 234.34.2.0 10.0.0.2 ip 1.2.3.4 10.0.0.1 inaddr 3.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 2.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa inaddr 1.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 1.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa inaddr 4.2.3.4.in-addr.arpa 3.0.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain mdcc.cx 3.example.com domain blablabla.com 2.example.com domain www.hotsex.com 1.example.com email jan@blaat.frut.com john.doe.2@example.com email pietje@bigcompany.com john.doe.1@example.com SEE ALSO
lr_anonymize(1) VERSION
$Id: lr_deanonymize.in,v 1.4 2006/07/23 13:16:32 vanbaal Exp $ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2001 Stichting LogReport Foundation LogReport@LogReport.org This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program (see COPYING); if not, check with http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html. AUTHOR
Joost van Baal <joostvb@logreport.org> Lire 2.1.1 2006-07-23 LR_DEANONYMIZE.IN(1)