Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers append newline to files with incomplete last line Post 49944 by Ygor on Wednesday 14th of April 2004 09:00:23 AM
Old 04-14-2004
Perhaps use awk...

awk 1 infile > outfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

append newline to existing variables

firstly, i check is the variable empty or not, if so vesselNameList=`echo $vesselName` if not vesselNameList="${vesselNameList}""\n"`echo "$vesselName"` and it produces this result BUNGA TERATAI 3 5055\ JADE TRADER 143W\ MOL SPLENDOR 0307A BUNGA TERATAI 3 5055\ JADE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: finalight
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append newline at the file end

Hi All, Is there any way to append a newline character at the end of a file(coma-separated file), through shell script? I need to check whether newline character exists at the end of a file, if it does not then append it. Regards, Krishna (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KrishnaSaran
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed append newline character

Hi All, I am new to Shell scripting.. I have a task to parse the text file into csv format. more then half the things has done. But the problem is when I use the sed command in shell script. it appends newline character at the end of the line. and so when I open the file in CSV it's format... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gaurang033
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

incomplete last line

How do I find through script if a contains "incomplete last line". If it does then only insert a new line character as:: echo "" >> filename.txt (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incomplete last line

I need help with appending the last line to the file only if the last line is incomplete. I tried awk 1 filename > new_filename but it appends to every file and I only want to append to the file if the last line is incomplete (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smee
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to append blank line in multiple files in unix

Dear All- Please suggest a single unix command which can append blank line in multiple files. I need to achieve this using a single unix command and not a script Please do advice Regards, Suresh (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable texts to the beginning of each line in all files in a directory

I am writing a code to append some numbers in the beginning of each line in all the files present in a directory. The number of files are really huge. The files are numbered as 1.sco, 2.sco, 4.sco (Note: 3.sco is missing). The files currently look like this: 1.sco 2 3 5 6 6 7My task is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help in adding a string at the end of each line and append files vertically

hi, i need a help in the script , need to append a string at the end of each line of a files , and append the files into a single file vertically. eg file1 has the following columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa files 2 has the following rows and columns abc,def,aaa aaa,aa,aaa i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: senkerth
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Multiple files with file name in the beginning of line

Hi, I have multiple files having many lines like as bvelow: file Name a.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 file Name b.txt abc def def xyz 123 5678 I would like to append files in the below format to a new file: file Name c.txt (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rramkrishnas
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace newline with comma and append quotes

Hi, I have below requirement. Apple Orange Banana Required O/p in bash 'Apple,Orange,Banana' Can you please help. Please wrap your samples, codes in CODE TAGS as per forum rules. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rtk
3 Replies
STRING(3)						     Library Functions Manual							 STRING(3)

NAME
strcat, strncat, strcmp, strncmp, strcasecmp, strncasecmp, strcpy, strncpy, strlen, index, rindex - string operations SYNOPSIS
#include <strings.h> char *strcat(s, append) char *s, *append; char *strncat(s, append, count) char *s, *append; int count; strcmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; strcasecmp(s1, s2) char *s1, *s2; strncasecmp(s1, s2, count) char *s1, *s2; int count; char *strcpy(to, from) char *to, *from; char *strncpy(to, from, count) char *to, *from; int count; strlen(s) char *s; char *index(s, c) char *s, c; char *rindex(s, c) char *s, c; DESCRIPTION
These functions operate on null-terminated strings. They do not check for overflow of any receiving string. Strcat appends a copy of string append to the end of string s. Strncat copies at most count characters. Both return a pointer to the null- terminated result. Strcmp compares its arguments and returns an integer greater than, equal to, or less than 0, according as s1 is lexicographically greater than, equal to, or less than s2. Strncmp makes the same comparison but looks at at most count characters. Strcasecmp and strncasecmp are identical in function, but are case insensitive. The returned lexicographic difference reflects a conversion to lower-case. Strcpy copies string from to to, stopping after the null character has been moved. Strncpy copies exactly count characters, appending nulls if from is less than count characters in length; the target may not be null-terminated if the length of from is count or more. Both return to. Strlen returns the number of non-null characters in s. Index (rindex) returns a pointer to the first (last) occurrence of character c in string s or zero if c does not occur in the string. Set- ting c to NULL works. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 22, 1987 STRING(3)