Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: copy files
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users copy files Post 49786 by chirayus on Saturday 10th of April 2004 04:38:00 AM
Old 04-10-2004
Hi,
Thanks for a lightning quick response.
However, Please explain what does cp \{\} signify

Regards,
Chirayu Sutaria

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copy of files

hi all i have a script,which when executed must copy 3 files from a directory on boxA to the same directory on boxB.I'm using scp to copy these files,the problem is out ofthe 3 files only1 is been copied and not the other 2, i have permissons for the files,any ideas are appreciated thnks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkan77
2 Replies

2. SCO

How do you copy files from CD

How do you copy files fra a cd-rom to a directory on the computer? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Schnell
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To copy everything except 2 files

Hi all, I would want to copy everything in a particular directory. However would want to exclude 2 files: DIMStemp01.dbf DIMSts01.dbf I tried to: (1) ls files except these 2 files into abc.txt (2) Read from abc.txt and start copying. It works, however is there any easier way? Eg.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy only new files or files of a different size

hello i would like to copy files from 1 location to a nother, but it has only to copy files which are newer or have a different filesize. all has to be logged to a copy.log file (als skipped files should be in the log) is this possible with the cp command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arnoldg
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

Copy all files

how i can copy all files " select all " in one step t try command cp -t (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: walidfinder
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy files

Hi Team, I am unable to copy the files, when i run the below script, i am getting error as file not present, not sure what i am missing. # File to be looked upon File_Pattern='*.zip' TMP_FILE=flagfile Check=`find $Directorypath -name $File_Pattern -type f -newer $TMP_FILE -print |... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen_5960
6 Replies

7. Solaris

How to safely copy full filesystems with large files (10Gb files)

Hello everyone. Need some help copying a filesystem. The situation is this: I have an oracle DB mounted on /u01 and need to copy it to /u02. /u01 is 500 Gb and /u02 is 300 Gb. The size used on /u01 is 187 Gb. This is running on solaris 9 and both filesystems are UFS. I have tried to do it using:... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonov7
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to copy files followed by list of names of all the files in /etc?

....... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcbuilder
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Unable to copy files due to many files in directory

I have directory that has some billion file inside , i tried copy some files for specific date but it's always did not respond for long time and did not give any result.. i tried everything with find command and also with xargs.. even this command find . -mtime -2 -print | xargs ls -d did not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: before4
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy files from one drive to another, keeping most recently modified files

Hi all, I am a bit of a beginner with shell scripting.. What I want to do is merge two drives, for example moving all data from X to Y. If a file in X doesn't exist in Y, it will be moved there. If a file in X also exists in Y, the most recently modified file will be moved to (or kept) in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: apocolapse
5 Replies
packf(1mh)																packf(1mh)

Name
       packf - compress a folder into a single file

Syntax
       packf [ +folder ] [ msgs ] [ -file name ] [ -help ]

Description
       Each  message in a folder is normally stored as a separate file.  The command takes all messages from the current folder and copies them to
       a single specified file.  Each message in the file is separated by four <CTRL/A>s and a newline.

You can specify a folder other than the current folder by using the +folder argument.  If you do not want all the messages in a	folder	to
       be packed into one file, you can specify a number of messages or a range of messages with message numbers.

The first message packed will become the current message.  If you specify a +folder argument, that folder will become the current folder.

When messages have been packed into a file using you can separate them into individual messages using the command.  See

Options
       -file name
		 Specifies  the  file  in which you want the message(s) to be stored.  If you specify an existing file then the specified messages
		 will be appended to the end of that file.  Otherwise, a new file will be created and the messages placed in it.  If  you  do  not
		 specify  a  filename,	attempts  to  place the messages in a file called in the current working directory.  If this file does not
		 exist, asks whether you want to create it.

-help	 Prints a list of the valid options to this command.

The default settings for this command are:

+folder defaults to the current folder
	      msgs defaults to all
	      -file ./msgbox

Examples
       The first example shows all the messages in the folder being packed into a file called
       % packf +lrp -file planning

The next example shows how prompts you if you do not specify a -file option.  A file called is created by in your home directory, and  mes-
       sages 3 to 5 are packed into it:
       % packf +lrp 3-5
       Create file "/machine/disk/username/msgbox"? y

Profile Components
       Path:	      To determine the user's Mail directory
       Msg-Protect:   To set protections when creating a new file

Files
       $HOME/.mh_profile   The user profile.

See Also
       burst(1mh)

packf(1mh)