Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: XWindows on Mac OSX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers XWindows on Mac OSX Post 4962 by Neo on Sunday 5th of August 2001 01:20:18 PM
Old 08-05-2001
Are you running Apple's OSX GUI?

I recommend you not run "freeware X windows" and run Apple's excellent GUI for OSX. Is that what you are doing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX vs. UNIX

To anyone that has the answer: What does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. I am a programmer, and I am wondering if I could just get Mac OSX for my programming needs instead of UNIX. But my major question is what does UNIX have that Mac OSX doesn't. Thank you if you have the answer, and are willing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: REM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mac OSX question

Hi. Is it possible to execute a Cocoa (or Carbon or eaven a classic) program for mac OSX in the terminal window? OSX finder can sometimes be so busy that it wont respond for several minutes, ie if you are uploading a very big file/files to a afp server. Then it would have been nice to start... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicke30
7 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

ssh and Mac OSX

Please help if you are familiar with Mac OSX. I downloaded OpenSSH for a newer version of SSH than what comes with OS 10.1. What a mistake! Now every time I try to make a connection to my remote server I get an message that ssh was built against version such and such and I have version such and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: glfisfn
2 Replies

4. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mac Osx.2

I finally broke down and decided to buy a new piece of hardware. I think I made the right decision when I chose an Apple iBook - OSX is incredible! I haven't used a Mac since System7.5, and 10.2 is just blowing me away! Best of all, it's easy to use for people who are not used to Mac, but if I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LivinFree
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX mode in Mac OSX - problems

I am a Macintosh using OS 10.2 which has Unix underpinnings. When entering console mode (the root system where unix takes over) I get the following message - bootstrap_look_up () failed (ipc/send) invalid destination port I always used to get a localhost# prompt (and then can use unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ngilman
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

win-xp/mac-osx

I'm currently looking for an emulation program that would allow me to open and run osx app.s and programs on a windows xp based system. if not is there a unix/linux/lindows program that may do the same? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: area51nstk
3 Replies

7. OS X (Apple)

Mac OSX kernel

is there anyway of looking at, and if possible, modifying it? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Cron on Mac OSX

Hello, I was wondering about my Cron Script: HELL=/bin/tcsh PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin HOME=/var/log MAILTO=jwillis 25 1 * * * root /Users/jwillis/Fbcmd\Scripts/DailyBirthday.scrmy returned message is: Subject: Cron <jwillis@Macintosh-66> root ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Does MAC OSX follow POSIX?

i mean if i coded an application for Linux using System Calls and no libs, and compiled it on MAC, will it work? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: JonhyM
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UML on MAC OSX

Hey guyz, Is it possible to build user-mode linux kernel on MAC OSX? Please I need a reply asap as I have an assignment that I need to do. Thanks! Adel (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aje02
1 Replies
dtadvfs(8)						      System Manager's Manual							dtadvfs(8)

NAME
dtadvfs - Starts the AdvFS graphical user interface SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/X11/dtadvfs [options] [-N] [-C hostname] OPTIONS
Turns off information messages about starting up the asemgr utility. This message is displayed at startup and whenever the file system configuration is changed when the system is running TruCluster Software. Connects to other hosts that are running the AdvFS GUI daemon, advfsd. OPERANDS
Uses the standard X Windows options. See the X(1X) and xterm(1X) reference pages for information. DESCRIPTION
The AdvFS graphical user interface (GUI) organizes AdvFS functionality into system management tasks and makes them available through a graphical interface. Issue the dtadvfs command to display the AdvFS GUI Main window. This window serves as both the starting point for all AdvFS GUI-managed tasks and as a monitor for file-system status. When the Main window is displayed, disk-space usage information is shown for the host and file domains. From the Main window, you can choose tasks from the following menus: Choose GUI setup options or exit the GUI. Choose file domain, file- set, clone, or volume configuration tasks. Choose what information displays on the main window or view devices and volumes information. Choose file domain balance or defragment procedures. Online help is available for all tasks and windows available through the GUI. To access help, click on the Help button in any window or choose Help from the menu bar to display information. RESTRICTIONS
You must be the root user to use this utility and you must register the Advanced File System Utilities license. FILES
/Storage_Management/Dtadvfs The indicator for graphic icons. The dtadvfs message log file. Remove or copy this log to another location periodically to prevent the log from becoming too large. The AdvFS Manager user-interface executable file. The dtadvfs online help files. The dtadvfs X resource file. The dtadvfs message catalogs. The GUI graphic icon files. The launch script for the graphic icons. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), advfsd(8), X(1X), xterm(1X) dtadvfs(8)