Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: shell script error logging
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers shell script error logging Post 49583 by niamh on Monday 5th of April 2004 10:37:06 AM
Old 04-05-2004
Question shell script error logging

Hi,

I am writing a shell script (ksh, solaris 5.8).

Script is X.sh

variables declared:

LOGFILE=X.log

the script is removing a file:

/usr/bin/rm "$DUMP_FILE1".Z >> $LOGFILE

If I kick off the script from the command line as follows:

./X.sh > X.con 2<& 1

It sends all the error messages to the .con file and not the .log file.

nothing is written to the log file if $DUMP_FILE1 does not exist.

How do I get all the errors to be sent to the log file?

set -x is turned on.

Thanks
N

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

logging in Shell script

How to I write to a log file all the output that is displaying on the screen? with time stamp. thankx. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laila63
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Have a script running even with the shell logging out

Hi all, I wish to have a script running even if my session is disconnected. I've tried calling another session within it and using sudo to a different user, but it didn't work - as it was expected to do so :rolleyes: I guess I'll have to work with "nohup" command, right ? trying with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging OWB mapping execution in Shell script

Hi, I am executing a OWB mapping from a shell script like this $OWB_SQLPLUS MY_WAREHOUSE plsql MY_MAPPING "," "," I want to log this mapping execution process into a file. Please let me know if this will work: $OWB_SQLPLUS MY_WAREHOUSE plsql MY_MAPPING "," "," >> LOGFIL.log I will... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npn
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logging into oracle or SQL from shell script

Hi, I have a shell script where I log on to sqlplus like this log() { sqlplus -s scott/tiger <<! select count(*) from EMP; ! } log Here I have hardcoded/used the username : scott and password : tiger directly to log on to SQLPLUS. If i have my log in information in my profile file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manirsendhil
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script for Logging into the Website

Hi ALL, Is there any way, to login into a website using Shell/Perl command/script? I am struggling on this from quite sometime but with no luck. Can you guys help, please? My sole purpose is to login a website (Which requires Username and Password) and then extract some information from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script logging via Shell script

Hello I wrote a nice Perl script that is intended to find and copy some files when getting a TERM signal. Now I wanted to make a shell script that starts/restarts the Perl script if it crashes/ends because of errors and make a log of all output the Perl Script gives. The problem is that it won't... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: al0x
1 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Perl script logging via Shell script

Hello I wrote a nice Perl script that is intended to find and copy some files when getting a TERM signal. Now I wanted to make a shell script that starts/restarts the Perl script if it crashes/ends because of errors and make a log of all output the Perl Script gives. The problem is that it won't... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: al0x
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Executing scipts after logging into a remote host using shell script

Hi All, Sorry if it is a duplicate post. I have not got any reference about this anywhere. I looked at the posts described in SSH - Passing Unix login passwords through shell scripts - Linux / UNIX Forum and it helped me till the point to connect to the host and executing the basic commands.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RSC1985
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script for multiple logging

Hi All, I am preparing a script which executes following things: 1) Logs into 8 cluster one by one. 2) After logging into each cluster,it prints the cluster name & then exit from that cluster. 3) Then it logs to next cluster & peform the same task. Here is what i have written : for... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: d8011
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Enable logging from within the shell script

Bash on Oracle Linux 6.3 I have a shell script whose output I want to redict to a log file. So, I can simply redirect the output as shown below. # cat myscript.sh #### I actually want some logging mechanism here which will redirect the output to a log file echo 'hello world' #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
3 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)