Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Restoring a directory using cpio command? Post 49564 by Relykk on Sunday 4th of April 2004 05:05:22 PM
Old 04-04-2004
Thanks for the info nitrile. Believe it or not, I had just figured that out for myself, and I was just coming back here to tell everyone never mind.

Thanks again!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cpio command with compress

Hi friends.. I want to be able to copy a file from one location to another (locally). The location the files are copied to should have compressed instances of the files they were copied from. copy from /home/user/test.file copy to /backup/user/test.file.Z I need to be able to do this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sureshy
1 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Restoring back files from "lost+found" directory

Hi Friends, How can I Restore the Files present under "lost+found" Directory of a FileSystem (in Solaris & Tru64 OS) to their original Locations. Now-a-days I am loosing lots of files in 2 of my Machines, One running Solaris8 and other Tru64(Digital) Unix. Thanx in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dhasarath
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

restoring backup using tar command

Please help me in resolving the issue. I have taken backup using the below command $ tar cvf - . |compress -> /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z I tried to restore the backup using the below command. $ zcat /opt/globusback2/needed_backups/apglsg.tar.Z | tar -xvf - ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amirthraj_12
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

advantages of cpio command?

hi, can any body tell me the advantages of having cpio command over tar command (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasannak
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cpio with the find command

Hey everyone, I’ am a newbie to Unix. Learning some of the basic commands. I did some piping before like who | wc I wanted to practice some backup features in Unix. I’ am practicing using cpio and place it into a file named backup. I’m not quite sure where I’ am going wrong? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fox987
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to restore cpio archive to a directory

Hello Every one, I want to back up all passwd files to /xyz/passfiles.cpio and Then restore them to /abc directory. Here is what I wrote: find / -name passwd | cpio -oc > /tmp/passwd.cpio and to restore cd abc cpio -ium < /tmp/passwd.cpio I can not find the files restored to /abc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drdigital_m
2 Replies

8. Solaris

About cpio command

i need to extract cpio file archived full path to /restore/ (not full path or fullpath under this directory ) i can't find option for cpio please help me example. i have cpio file archive /etc/* and i need to extract file to /restore #cpio -ivBcdmu < xx.cpio but data from cpio not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infjustice
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cpio all *.txt-files out of folders to just one directory

I need a hint for reading manpage (I did rtfm really) of cpio to do this task as in the headline described. I want to put all files of a certain type, lets say all *.txt files or any other format. Spread in more than hundreds of subdirectories in one directory I would like to select them and just... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpio - input files (from list) are stored in different order inside cpio archive - why?

Due to budget constraints I have to reinvent an Enterprise backup system in a SPARC (sun4v) Solaris estate (10 & 11). (yep - reinvent wheel, fun but time consuming. Is this wise?! :confused: ) For each filesystem of interest, to try to capture a 'catalog' at the front of each cpio archive (for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: am115998
1 Replies
rpm2cpio(1)							   User Commands						       rpm2cpio(1)

NAME
rpm2cpio - convert Red Hat Package (RPM) to cpio archive SYNOPSIS
rpm2cpio [file.rpm] DESCRIPTION
The rpm2cpio utility converts the .rpm file specified as its sole argument to a cpio archive on standard output. (See NOTES.) If no argu- ment is given, an rpm stream is read from standard input. In both cases, rpm2cpio will fail and print a usage message if the standard out- put is a terminal. Therefore, the output is usually redirected to a file or piped through the cpio(1) utility. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Converting an rpm file example% rpm2cpio Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks Example 2: Converting from standard input example% rpm2cpio < Device3Dfx-1.1-2.src.rpm | cpio -itv CPIO archive found! -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2635 Sep 13 16:39 1998, 3dfx.gif -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11339 Sep 27 16:03 1998, Dev3Dfx.tar.gz -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1387 Sep 27 16:04 1998, Device3Dfx-1.1-2.spec 31 blocks ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrpm | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cpio(1), attributes(5) NOTES
rpm2cpio handles versions 3 and 4 RPMs. SunOS 5.10 20 Aug 2001 rpm2cpio(1)