Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reset Home Directory Permissions Post 49459 by Perderabo on Thursday 1st of April 2004 07:43:59 PM
Old 04-01-2004
Depends on what you did. But try:

chmod 700 /home/punkrockguy318

and where that leaves you. You may also need:

chown punkrockguy318 /home/punkrockguy318
but that would probably need to be done by root.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

determine owner directory permissions from within the directory

From within a directory, how do I determine whether I have write permission for it. test -w pwd ; echo ? This doesn't work as it returns false, even though I have write permission. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sniper Pixie
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can I prevent a user from changing the permissions on their home directory.

Hello All, I have a new HPUX system going into production and it will be used by 2 projects. One of the contract requirements is the 2 groups can not have access to the others work or data. I believe I have the system pretty well locked up using groups and permissions and selective mounting of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: DanL
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

User home folder permissions catch-22, help!

Hi everyone. My objective is to configure a Solaris 10 box as follows: There will be many simultaneous users connecting to it, and each of those users would automatically get a home folder. For example, when I add user "Bob", the home folder would be /export/home/Bob And for Mary, it's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: EugeneG
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Home Directory Permissions

My users home directory located in a RHEL 5.0 nfs server. Client is ubuntu 8.1 using NIS for authntication anf NFS for automounting home Directory on the client side. I set 700 to the users home directory. My problem here is some of the users change the mode, which result in leak of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_artha
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Restricting SFTP user to a defined directory and home directory

Hi, I've created solaris user which has both FTP and SFTP Access. Using the "ftpaccess" configuration file options "guest-root" and "restricted-uid", i can restrict the user to a specific directory. But I'm unable to restrict the user when the user is logged in using SFTP. The aim is to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sftpuser
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reset file permissions

Hi, Is there a command I can execute to reset to default the file permissions of some files and directories? I am using BASH on a system running OS X. Thanks a lot, Mike (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msb65
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Keeping your Home file permissions correct

I have been a UNIX user for a long time, and in that time I have been looking for a program to set/reset all the file permissions of a complex directory hierarchy (my home) according to a configuration file of rules. That is not the simple find-xargs-chmod rule but a program (shell/perl/c)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: antofthy
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Permissions on a directory in /home for all users

Hi, I have created a shared directory on /home, where all users on a certain group have read, write and execute permissions. I did this using chmod -R g+rwx /home/shared/ The problem is, when a particular user creates a directory within /home/shared, other users are not able to write to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
8 Replies

9. Solaris

SunOS confusing root directory and user home directory

Hello, I've just started using a Solaris machine with SunOS 5.10. After the machine is turned on, I open a Console window and at the prompt, if I execute a pwd command, it tells me I'm at my home directory (someone configured "myuser" as default user after init). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: egyassun
2 Replies
DH_FIXPERMS(1)							     Debhelper							    DH_FIXPERMS(1)

NAME
dh_fixperms - fix permissions of files in package build directories SYNOPSIS
dh_fixperms [debhelperoptions] [-Xitem] DESCRIPTION
dh_fixperms is a debhelper program that is responsible for setting the permissions of files and directories in package build directories to a sane state -- a state that complies with Debian policy. dh_fixperms makes all files in usr/share/doc in the package build directory (excluding files in the examples/ directory) be mode 644. It also changes the permissions of all man pages to mode 644. It removes group and other write permission from all files. It removes execute permissions from any libraries, headers, Perl modules, or desktop files that have it set. It makes all files in the standard bin and sbin directories, usr/games/ and etc/init.d executable (since v4). Finally, it removes the setuid and setgid bits from all files in the package. When the Rules-Requires-Root field has the (effective) value of binary-targets, dh_fixperms will also reset the ownership of all paths to "root:root". OPTIONS
-Xitem, --exclude item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from having their permissions changed. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_FIXPERMS(1)