Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: opening a file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers opening a file Post 49387 by HOUSCOUS on Wednesday 31st of March 2004 11:24:04 PM
Old 04-01-2004
I am not so sure when you said "open" it. Doesn't the command "open" mean to start a program on a new terminal? Are you sure the file is there? If you want to run it, why just try "./file"? Or if you want to read the file content, use cat, more, or some editor such as vi/vim, emacs.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making Changes without opening file

Hello, I'm new to scripting, I have a file test.dat. I want to make changes to it with out openning it. Example: test.dat has rows, and I want to change value "LA" to "TX" without opening it or without writing it to another file. Is it possible? Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: irehman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know whether that file has eol or noeol before opening that file in VI editor

Hi, I want to check whether file has EOL or NOEOL before opening this file in VI editor. My file is very big its in terms of 15-20 MB. I am using ksh for this. When we opened the file in vi editor, normally at last line we are able to see whether this is eol or noeol file. But i does want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: HariRaju
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Opening a file from the terminal

Hi, this is such a simple question (I think), but I don't know the answer, obviously. If I'm using the terminal, and I'm remotely logged on to another computer, and I'm in my directory on that computer, what command would I use to...open a file? For example, a .exe file, or a .txt file...all I want... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Djaunl
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting lines inside a file without opening the file

Hi, Just consider there are around 10 lines in a file. Now is it possible to delete the first 2 lines in the file without opening the file. No matter whatever the content of the file is, I just wanna delete the first 2 lines without opening the file. Is that possible? If so, please help me out.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toms
3 Replies

5. Programming

Error in opening a file C++

Hi, I have written a function which will open the file with the input name provided.Input name is in string format so while opening I am converting it using c_str().detail code below Plz let me know what is the wrong in code. 1 #include<iostream> 2 #include<fstream> 3 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forstudy3
4 Replies

6. Programming

Problem in opening a file!

Hello All, I am new to programming in unix. I am trying to create a file by using open command. The entire file is : #include<fcntl.h> main(void){ int fd; fd = open("File1", O_CREAT|O_WRONLY, S_IRUSR|S_IWUSR|S_IRWXO); printf("%d ", fd); } The problem I am facing a strange problem.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkn_1985
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xmllint - Xml-file problem --ods file not opening

Dear All, this is my first post on this Forum, glad to be here. I'm trying to fix an .ods file. Yes, I had a backup, but it's also corrupted. When opening the document I get this EM: read error format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,337040(row,col). So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jameslast
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

GZ file not opening in windows

I am zipping a file in unix and then sending it to windows. buyt when i try to open it with 7zip software. it throws an error FILE IS BROKEN (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rafa_fed2
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Opening a file in vi and automatically save and quit this file using shell script

Hi friends, In my shell script, I want to open a file using vi editor. After opening the file in vi, I want to save and quit this file automatically.... all through shell script. the code segment is: ------------------------------------------------------------ cd ~/netfpga/projects/scone/sw/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachinteotia
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to read a file without opening the file and delete last line?

I have file called "text". The contents are as below : aaa bbb ccc ddd eee ffff ddd hhhh iiii I want to read this file without opening and and delete the last line. How can it be done? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_hunter
4 Replies
KATOOB(1)						      General Commands Manual							 KATOOB(1)

NAME
katoob - A Gtk2 light weight multilingual BiDi aware text editor. katoob is a text editor for X, You can use it to create and edit text files. Katoob support reading and saving text files in many encod- ings. As well as importing / exporting to HTML character reference. SYNOPSIS
katoob [options] files... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the katoob commands. katoob is a light weight, multi lingual, BiDi aware text editor. It supports opening and saving files in multiple encodings. The main sup- port was for Arabic language but more languages are currently supported. OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. -h, --help Show summary of options. -v, --version Show version of program. -u, --usage Display brief usage message. - Read input from the standard input. files... Specifies the files to be opened. Multiple files are supported but they should be separated by spaces, Reading from pipes is also supported by using a dash "-". If no files specified, Katoob'll start with an empty document. FILES
$HOME/.katoob/ User's configuration files directory $HOME/.katoob/config Main configuration file $HOME/.katoob/recent Recent files list $PREFIX/share/katoob Global program directory EXAMPLES
Opening multiple files: katoob foo.txt bar.text zot Opening a file called foo and the output of cat: cat bar | katoob foo - Reading from a pipe: ls | katoob - Reading from multiple pipes: katoob - - Here katoob'll try to read from the standard input 2 times. To close the standard input you should press CTRL-D For each dash passed, Katoob'll reopen the standard input and read from it. BUGS
Something like cat foo | katoob - - "should read cat output and then wait for the user input and open each one in a separate document" is not supported. AUTHOR
katoob was written by Mohammed Sameer. BUGS
Bugs should be reported at http://bugzilla.arabeyes.org/ or the Arabeyes.org developer mailing list developer@arabeyes.org. June 22, 2003 KATOOB(1)