Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: crontab question
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers crontab question Post 49220 by Relykk on Sunday 28th of March 2004 05:43:10 PM
Old 03-28-2004
Thank you, and I apologize for my impatience.

I thought that << was to append, or is it true only in certain circumstances?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab question

Why does this cron entry do nothing? It works interactively. 58 23 * * * mydate=`date '+%Y%m%d'`;mv /opt/home/user/file /opt/home/user/file_$mydate (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steelrose
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Crontab question

HI all, I would want to schedule a job to run every 2 weeks. In the mean time, i'm only able to schedule on every week. Is it possible to schedule 2 weeks on crontab? Thank you. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: *Jess*
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Crontab Question.

I set up a job to run a script in a certain directory to remove certain files. The script seems to run as my logs indicate but nothing happens. If I run the script manually then it removes the correct files. I'm now wondering if crontab doesnt have access to remove files from the directory I'm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
9 Replies

4. AIX

How-to crontab question

My question is how to specify the one-time execution of a shell script in crontab? For example: If I wanted to schedule shell "Test.sh" for one-time execution on December 13 at 8:00AM would it be as follows? 00 08 13 12 6 /usr/datatools/dtbackups/Test.sh > /usr/u/sybase_12.5/logs/Test.log &... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alan.AIX
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about crontab

Hello guys, I have a server with Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5), there i have a lot of users, im the root. I need to lock the use of crontab to the users, i mean, i dont want to give to the users the option to creat any crontab line, how can i do that? I tried to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
4 Replies

6. HP-UX

Crontab question

Please cna you tell me if the following command entered in error would affect the crontab file crontab -e | more Thanks :) (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: blondie2407
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

crontab question

I have a user (xxx) who is allowed to run cron jobs when a job is launched from cron is the .profile sourced in? I am not sure it is so I setup a cron job as this user to do the following: 35 15 * * 0-5 su - xxx -c "ksh ls -lt /tmp" > /tmp.out and I am seeing the following error (see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Another crontab question

Hey out there This is all I have in my crontab file. I know the crontab works because it was already out there and working. I simply replaced the existing with my line of code below to see if it worked. I uploaded 6 month old pdf files in this directory, stopped/started all the scripts that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab question

I need to run an script every 10th and 25th day in every month at 11pm. the script name is /home/ss/automated.sh I tried to execute the script every day and everytime with the below syntax. its not executing it from crontab. * * * * * /home/ss/automated.sh Any idea why it not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkumar15
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on crontab

Hello, I have scheduled the execution of a file (delete_oldv02) every hour with crontab and it works perfectly. See below the instruction written. 0 */1 * * * /home/delete_oldv02 >>/home/delete_oldv02.log My first question is if I can add one more line to crontab. I also would like to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcaccount
5 Replies
pbmtext(1)						      General Commands Manual							pbmtext(1)

NAME
pbmtext - render text into a bitmap SYNOPSIS
pbmtext [-font fontfile] [-builtin fontname] [-space pixels] [-lspace pixels] [text] DESCRIPTION
Takes the specified text, either a single line from the command line or multiple lines from standard input, and renders it into a bitmap. In the bitmap, each line of input is a line of output. Formatting characters such as newline have no effect on the formatting; like any unprintable character, they turn into spaces. The bitmap is just wide enough for the longest line of text, plus margins, and just high enough to contain the lines of text, plus margins. The left and right margins are twice the width of the widest character in the font; the top and bottom margins are the height of the tallest character in the font. But if the text is only one line, all the margins are half of this. OPTIONS
-font,-builtin By default, pbmtext uses a built-in font called bdf (about a 10 point Times-Roman font). You can use a fixed width font by specify- ing -builtin fixed. You can also specify your own font with the -font flag. The fontfile is either a BDF file from the X window system or a PBM file. If the fontfile is a PBM file, it is created in a very specific way. In your window system of choice, display the following text in the desired (fixed-width) font: M ",/^_[`jpqy| M / !"#$%&'()*+ / < ,-./01234567 < > 89:;<=>?@ABC > @ DEFGHIJKLMNO @ _ PQRSTUVWXYZ[ _ { ]^_`abcdefg { } hijklmnopqrs } ~ tuvwxyz{|}~ ~ M ",/^_[`jpqy| M Do a screen grab or window dump of that text, using for instance xwd, xgrabsc, or screendump. Convert the result into a pbm file. If necessary, use pnmcut to remove everything except the text. Finally, run it through pnmcrop to make sure the edges are right up against the text. pbmtext can figure out the sizes and spacings from that. -space pixels Add pixels pixels of space between characters. This is in addition to whatever space surrounding characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable string of text. pixels may be negative to crowd text together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. -B -lspace pixels Add pixels pixels of space between lines. This is in addition to whatever space above and below characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable line spacing. pixels must be a whole number. pixels may be negative to crowd lines together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. USAGE
Often, you want to place text over another image. One way to do this is with ppmlabel. ppmlabel does not give you the font options that pbmtext does, though. Another way is to use pbmtext to create an image containing the text, then use pnmcomp to overlay the text image onto your base image. To make only the text (and not the entire rectangle containing it) cover the base image, you will need to give pnmcomp a mask, via its -alpha option. You can just use the text image itself as the mask, as long as you also specify the -invert option to pnmcomp. If you want to overlay colored text instead of black, just use ppmchange to change all black pixels to the color of your choice before overlaying the text image. But still use the original black and white image for the alpha mask. If you want the text at an angle, use pnmrotate on the text image (and alpha mask) before overlaying. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmcrop(1), pnmcomp(1), ppmchange(1), pnmrotate(1), pbmtextps(1), ppmlabel(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1993 by Jef Poskanzer and George Phillips 28 January 2001 pbmtext(1)