Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Um, this is lacking sense
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Um, this is lacking sense Post 4905 by nydel on Friday 3rd of August 2001 05:16:44 AM
Old 08-03-2001
on installing a program:

in linux, if the file ends in .rpm, you can do this:

--
rpm -i filename.rpm
--

i for install.

on the booting problem:

if you can't fix this and you need to get some files from your windows partition, you can do that from linux. you need to find out where your windows partition is in the /dev directory. it might be hda2. well, the first hard drive is hda# and the second is hdb# the third hdc# and so on, # being partition number, or something along those lines. keep in mind i'm not sure about how your hard disk partitions are named. you need to look in /dev yourself and guess/check.

--
mkdir /windows
mount /dev/hda2 /windows
cd /windows
--

uh yea. if anyone reads this and anything i said is wrong, please correct me.

okay,
-nydel

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux Benchmarks

Linux Benchmarks Makes No Sense

I created two computers with identical hardware, and run the benchmark programs in both starting at the same exact time. What makes no sense is that the computer that has the lower average index (121) finished the race a good 30 minutes ahead of the computer wich showed the higher avg index... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: philip_38
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Simple grep - Not sure it makes sense!

I have 3 files in directory mydir named as follows, I run the sequence of commands shown below and I have questions at the result. File names are: ABC_GP0 ABC_GP0.ctl ABC_GPX Commands and results: $ ls /mydir/ | grep * <-- (q1) I get nothing - OK $ ls /mydir/ | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GNMIKE
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Sense Key: Media Error

Hi all, We have below WARNING in /var/adm/messages file from our Solaris server. WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0 (sd0): Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Fatal Requested Block: 16745265 Error Block: 16745269 Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerboy
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to make sense of rsync output...

I'm running the following rsync command to sync a directory between the 2 servers: rsync -az --delete --stats /some_dir/ server_name:/some_dir I'm getting the following output: Number of files: 655174 Number of files transferred: 14221 Total file size: 1138531979331 bytes Total... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GKnight
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff result makes no sense

Hi, I have written a small shellscript Imagine dbalt.txt already existed... " .... touch report.txt lynx -dump "http://site.com/index.htm" > site1.txt lynx -dump "http://site.com/index2.htm" > site2.txt grep -E 'Nummer: |EUR' site1.txt > preis1.txt grep -E 'Nummer: |EUR' site2.txt >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blackbox
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Homework questions, book is lacking answers?

Hey you guys, There's a couple questions I cannot find the answers to anywhere in this book for my Operating Systems class, hopefully you guys could help. I believe we are in the Bourne shell. 1. Match each description to the appropriate type of variable Used in shell programs ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: KyleBucket
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sar -d output... does not make sense

Can someone explain the correlation between how sar names the disk drives and how the rest of the OS names the disk drives? sar lists my disk drives as sd0, sd1, sd2, etc..... while format lists my disk drives as c1t0d0, c1t1d0, c1t2d0,etc... And also why sar shows 8 disks but format... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s ladd
2 Replies

8. AIX

Sense Data Layout

On AIX 7.1 we have errors with SC_DISK_ERR4 label. In document "Fibre Channel Planning and Integration: User's Guide and Service Information" I can find SENSE Data description in section "PCI Fibre Channel Adapter, SCSI-3 Protocol (Disk, CD-ROM, Read/Write Optical Device) Error Log Sense... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dmitriy
1 Replies
scrounge-ntfs(8)					    BSD System Manager's Manual 					  scrounge-ntfs(8)

NAME
scrounge-ntfs -- helps retrieve data from corrupted NTFS partitions SYNOPSIS
scrounge-ntfs -l disk scrounge-ntfs -s disk scrounge-ntfs [-m mftoffset] [-c clustersize] [-o outdir] disk start end DESCRIPTION
scrounge-ntfs is a utility that can rescue data from corrupted NTFS partitions. It writes the files retrieved to another working file system. Certain information about the partition needs to be known in advance. The -l mode is meant to be run in advance of the data corruption, with the output stored away in a file. This allows scrounge-ntfs to recover data reliably. See the 'NOTES' section below for recover info when this isn't the case. OPTIONS
The options are as follows: -c The cluster size (in sectors). When not specified a default of 8 is used. -l List partition information for a drive. This will only work when the partition table for the given drive is intact. -m When recovering data this specifies the location of the MFT from the beginning of the partition (in sectors). If not specified then no directory information can be used, that is, all rescued files will be written to the same directory. -o Directory to put rescued files in. If not specified then files will be placed in the current directory. -s Search disk for partition information. (Not implemented yet). disk The raw device used to access the disk which contains the NTFS partition to rescue files from. eg: '/dev/hdc' start The beginning of the NTFS partition (in sectors). end The end of the NTFS partition (in sectors) NOTES
If you plan on using this program sucessfully you should prepare in advance by storing a copy of the partition information. Use the -l option to do this. Eventually searching for disk partition information will be implemented, which will solve this problem. When only one partition exists on a disk or you want to rescue the first partition there are ways to guess at the sector sizes and MFT loca- tion. See the scrounge-ntfs web page for more info: http://memberwebs.com/swalter/software/scrounge/ AUTHOR
Stef Walter <stef@memberwebs.com> scrounge-ntfs June 1, 2019 scrounge-ntfs