Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: whacky email idea
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) whacky email idea Post 49024 by [MA]Flying_Meat on Wednesday 24th of March 2004 12:35:59 AM
Old 03-24-2004
ok, I fiddled with vnc. slow and a weensie tricky.

I tried a couple of mail clients, mutt (butt-ugly cli dealie), and sylpheed (compiled with a bunch of warnings but still runs)

I looked at requirements for spruce, GNUMail, balsa...
they all required stuff I wasn't willing/ready to install.

I think I'll go with sylpheed. It's certainly not the most feature packed email client, but it is serviceable from the point of my quest.

Sylpheed can import mboxes, so I can ssh -X to my home machine, launch Apple's Mail.app from the command line and then import my mboxes when I need to get my mail. Sylpheed also allows me to set up a default bcc for outgoing messages.
Sent mail messages won't get lost between mail clients that way.
Or I could export sent mail to mbox format, but...

I sure wish Apple made an X11 Mail.app counterpart, with wizzy spam trapping, that read wrote to the regular Mail.app mboxes.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

What about the email@unix.com idea?

I remember there was a topic about this idea long time ago. What happened to it? (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: HOUSCOUS
13 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of awk? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I'm relatively comfortable with programming in general but very new to unix and korn/bourne shell scripts.. I'm using awk on a CSV file, and then performing calculations and operations on specific fields within specific records. The CSV file I'm working with has about 600... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

whacky punctuation dealies

Say I have a command that looks like this: host=$(/usr/bin/host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) What is the significance of the $() I know what happens when I don't include them, and I know what happens when I do, but... Why doo it woik wit $() Sorry for the lame question :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: [MA]Flying_Meat
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

b-shell: any better idea for this one?Thanks!!

I'm new to the script programming and I have this piece of code (repeatedly used) in my program: while : do ................ ans=`ckyorn -p "Do you want to continue?"` if || || || ; then break elif || ; then echo "Aborting..." exit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluemoon1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help... no idea what to use

my issue now is i have a txt file containing a list like below i want to create a script that will add a constant text "Find this name" at the start and "at your directory" at the end. every line should be added by phrase at the start and end. Each line of the file should look like "Find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dakid
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need some more idea...urgent

Hi friends.. I am using the below command to search few files from many folders which is under one folder.. i mean let say the path is A/B/C...and inside C...i have 1-10 folder... the below command is working fine.... find /A/B/C -name "*.txt" -o -name "*.csv" -o -name "*.TXT" -o -name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sapan123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I have no idea what I just did, and I am an idiot.

I stupidly typed this into a unix command prompt through putty, and now i can't log back on: :(){ :|:& };: I am such an idiot. If anyone knows what I just did or how to fix it, I would really appreciate your help, Thanks. ---------- Post updated at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous update... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: alby19
13 Replies

8. Solaris

Idea for project

Hi guys I need idea ti play with Solaris :cool: I have some free time and I want to learn something new, so far I learned how to install Solaris using Jumpstart and flash archives. I'm intereted in programming and networks however my programming skills are very weak so I only can learn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_user
3 Replies
Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus(3)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus(3)

NAME
Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus - per-message status (spam or not-spam) SYNOPSIS
my $spamtest = new Mail::SpamAssassin ({ 'rules_filename' => '/etc/spamassassin.rules', 'userprefs_filename' => $ENV{HOME}.'/.spamassassin.cf' }); my $mail = Mail::SpamAssassin::NoMailAudit->new(); my $status = $spamtest->check ($mail); if ($status->is_spam()) { $status->rewrite_mail (); $mail->accept("caught_spam"); } ... DESCRIPTION
The Mail::SpamAssassin "check()" method returns an object of this class. This object encapsulates all the per-message state. METHODS
$isspam = $status->is_spam () After a mail message has been checked, this method can be called. It will return 1 for mail determined likely to be spam, 0 if it does not seem spam-like. $list = $status->get_names_of_tests_hit () After a mail message has been checked, this method can be called. It will return a comma-separated string, listing all the symbolic test names of the tests which were trigged by the mail. $num = $status->get_hits () After a mail message has been checked, this method can be called. It will return the number of hits this message incurred. $num = $status->get_required_hits () After a mail message has been checked, this method can be called. It will return the number of hits required for a mail to be consid- ered spam. $report = $status->get_report () Deliver a "spam report" on the checked mail message. This contains details of how many spam detection rules it triggered. The report is returned as a multi-line string, with the lines separated by " " characters. $status->rewrite_mail () Rewrite the mail message. This will add headers, and possibly body text, to reflect its spam or not-spam status. The modifications made are as follows: Subject: header for spam mails The string "*****SPAM*****" (changeable with "subject_tag" config option) is prepended to the subject, unless the "rewrite_subject 0" configuration option is given. X-Spam-Status: header for spam mails A string, "Yes, hits=nn required=nn tests=..." is set in this header to reflect the filter status. The keys in this string are as follows: X-Spam-Report: header for spam mails The SpamAssassin report is added to the mail header if the "report_header 1" configuration option is given. hits=nn The number of hits the message triggered. required=nn The threshold at which a mail is marked as spam. tests=... The symbolic names of tests which were triggered. X-Spam-Flag: header for spam mails Set to "YES". Content-Type: header for spam mails Set to "text/plain", in order to defang HTML mail or other active content that could "call back" to the spammer. X-Spam-Checker-Version: header for spam mails Set to the version number of the SpamAssassin checker which tested the mail. spam mail body text The SpamAssassin report is added to top of the mail message body, unless the "report_header 1" configuration option is given. X-Spam-Status: header for non-spam mails A string, "No, hits=nn required=nn tests=..." is set in this header to reflect the filter status. The keys in this string are the same as for spam mails (see above). $messagestring = $status->get_full_message_as_text () Returns the mail message as a string, including headers and raw body text. If the message has been rewritten using "rewrite_mail()", these changes will be reflected in the string. Note: this is simply a helper method which calls methods on the mail message object. It is provided because Mail::Audit uses an unusual (ie. not quite intuitive) interface to do this, and it has been a common stumbling block for authors of scripts which use Spa- mAssassin. $status->finish () Indicate that this $status object is finished with, and can be destroyed. If you are using SpamAssassin in a persistent environment, or checking many mail messages from one Mail::SpamAssassin factory, this method should be called to ensure Perl's garbage collection will clean up old status objects. SEE ALSO
"Mail::SpamAssassin" "spamassassin" perl v5.8.0 2002-09-26 Mail::SpamAssassin::PerMsgStatus(3)