Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading SCO floppy on Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading SCO floppy on Linux Post 4900 by Neo on Friday 3rd of August 2001 12:27:34 AM
Old 08-03-2001
Linux kernel supports many filesystems types and the chances are good that the filesystem on the floppy is supported. If you can find out what the filesystem is, you can remake the kernel to recognize the filesystem.

What filesystems does SCO support?

Here is a list from linux mount command:

Quote:
-t vfstype
The argument following the -t is used to indicate
the file system type. The file system types which
are currently supported are listed in
linux/fs/filesystems.c: adfs, affs, autofs, coda,
coherent, devpts, efs, ext, ext2, hfs, hpfs,
iso9660, minix, msdos, ncpfs, nfs, ntfs, proc,
qnx4, romfs, smbfs, sysv, udf, ufs, umsdos, vfat,
xenix, xiafs. Note that coherent, sysv and xenix
are equivalent and that xenix and coherent will be
removed at some point in the future -- use sysv
instead. Since kernel version 2.1.21 the types ext
and xiafs do not exist anymore.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a UNIX floppy on a PC ? HELP!

I desperately need to get a text file off of this floppy to resolve a customer issue on one of PC servers in thier all UNIX site. They sent the information on a UNIX formatted floppy with the information I need. Please help me as I need this ASAP. Black Knight (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Knight
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading and writing SCO DAT tapes uing Linux

Hi, Guys. I've been trying to read and write SCO DAT tapes to my Linux hard disk. I'm using RedHat 6.0 because it is the only version that has device drivers for my SCSI host adapter and SCSI tape drive. When I run the command "cpio -ivt > /dev/st0" I can read the archive from the SCO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

3. SCO

Read a SCO floppy disk under another OS...

I have formatted a floppy disk under SCO unix. Is there a way I could read this disk under another operating system e.g. Windows or Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgertsos
1 Replies

4. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

5. SCO

Read Floppy disk in SCO OpenServer 5.0

help me please i am beguinner in SCO operating system how i can read Floppy disk i install SCO OpenServer5.02 i want to /mnt but no result (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walidfinder
3 Replies

6. Linux

How to install linux in a system without cdrom, usb boot, floppy, other OS?

Hello to everyone, I am new to linux and I want to move to this system after bad experiences with windows. I have also a particular problem. An old laptop is probably able to handle just linux at this point of its life. The cdrom is gone, the bios doesn't have usb boot support, there is no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: highkftj
6 Replies

7. SCO

Floppy Disk not reading in cygwin

Hi, I have 3 floppy disc (SCO uniix) compressed files in it. I am in windows XP environment, installed cygwin; I tried to read these files and copy out but am not able to mount fd; it show is mount unknown type error; Please advise me how can i resolve.. Regards mfm2066 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfm2006
1 Replies

8. SCO

How to open a floppy in SCO UNIX?

Hi, Please help me to find the command to open a floppy disc 3.5" in Sco Unix Open Server 5.0.6 environment. Device located in dev/fd0. thanks in advance Rukshan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
5 Replies

9. SCO

Trouble with sysv floppy images created under Linux

Hello, I wonder if anybody could help. I'm running SCO Xenix under Qemu on Xubuntu 16.04. I created a SYSV floppy image, but the files on it are poorly displayed when I mounted it under Xenix. I tried to create and format this image under Ubuntu as well as under Xenix. How could I create a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelix
6 Replies
FILESYSTEMS(5)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    FILESYSTEMS(5)

NAME
filesystems - Linux file-system types: minix, ext, ext2, ext3, ext4, Reiserfs, XFS, JFS, xia, msdos, umsdos, vfat, ntfs, proc, nfs, iso9660, hpfs, sysv, smb, ncpfs DESCRIPTION
When, as is customary, the proc file system is mounted on /proc, you can find in the file /proc/filesystems which file systems your kernel currently supports. If you need a currently unsupported one, insert the corresponding module or recompile the kernel. In order to use a file system, you have to mount it; see mount(8). Below a short description of a few of the available file systems. minix is the file system used in the Minix operating system, the first to run under Linux. It has a number of shortcomings: a 64MB partition size limit, short filenames, a single timestamp, etc. It remains useful for floppies and RAM disks. ext is an elaborate extension of the minix file system. It has been completely superseded by the second version of the extended file system (ext2) and has been removed from the kernel (in 2.1.21). ext2 is the high performance disk file system used by Linux for fixed disks as well as removable media. The second extended file system was designed as an extension of the extended file system (ext). ext2 offers the best performance (in terms of speed and CPU usage) of the file systems supported under Linux. ext3 is a journaling version of the ext2 file system. It is easy to switch back and forth between ext2 and ext3. ext4 is a set of upgrades to ext3 including substantial performance and reliability enhancements, plus large increases in volume, file, and directory size limits. Reiserfs is a journaling file system, designed by Hans Reiser, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.1. XFS is a journaling file system, developed by SGI, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.20. JFS is a journaling file system, developed by IBM, that was integrated into Linux in kernel 2.4.24. xiafs was designed and implemented to be a stable, safe file system by extending the Minix file system code. It provides the basic most requested features without undue complexity. The xia file system is no longer actively developed or maintained. It was removed from the kernel in 2.1.21. msdos is the file system used by DOS, Windows, and some OS/2 computers. msdos filenames can be no longer than 8 characters, followed by an optional period and 3 character extension. umsdos is an extended DOS file system used by Linux. It adds capability for long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and special files (devices, named pipes, etc.) under the DOS file system, without sacrificing compatibility with DOS. vfat is an extended DOS file system used by Microsoft Windows95 and Windows NT. VFAT adds the capability to use long filenames under the MSDOS file system. ntfs replaces Microsoft Window's FAT file systems (VFAT, FAT32). It has reliability, performance, and space-utilization enhancements plus features like ACLs, journaling, encryption, and so on. proc is a pseudo file system which is used as an interface to kernel data structures rather than reading and interpreting /dev/kmem. In particular, its files do not take disk space. See proc(5). iso9660 is a CD-ROM file system type conforming to the ISO 9660 standard. High Sierra Linux supports High Sierra, the precursor to the ISO 9660 standard for CD-ROM file systems. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. Rock Ridge Linux also supports the System Use Sharing Protocol records specified by the Rock Ridge Interchange Protocol. They are used to further describe the files in the iso9660 file system to a Unix host, and provide information such as long filenames, UID/GID, POSIX permissions, and devices. It is automatically recognized within the iso9660 file-system support under Linux. hpfs is the High Performance Filesystem, used in OS/2. This file system is read-only under Linux due to the lack of available documentation. sysv is an implementation of the SystemV/Coherent file system for Linux. It implements all of Xenix FS, SystemV/386 FS, and Coherent FS. nfs is the network file system used to access disks located on remote computers. smb is a network file system that supports the SMB protocol, used by Windows for Workgroups, Windows NT, and Lan Manager. To use smb fs, you need a special mount program, which can be found in the ksmbfs package, found at ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/smbfs. ncpfs is a network file system that supports the NCP protocol, used by Novell NetWare. To use ncpfs, you need special programs, which can be found at ftp://linux01.gwdg.de/pub/ncpfs. SEE ALSO
proc(5), fsck(8), mkfs(8), mount(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2010-05-24 FILESYSTEMS(5)