Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading SCO floppy on Linux
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Reading SCO floppy on Linux Post 4897 by Neo on Thursday 2nd of August 2001 11:52:33 PM
Old 08-03-2001
tar

write and read the floppy using tar normally works.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading a UNIX floppy on a PC ? HELP!

I desperately need to get a text file off of this floppy to resolve a customer issue on one of PC servers in thier all UNIX site. They sent the information on a UNIX formatted floppy with the information I need. Please help me as I need this ASAP. Black Knight (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Knight
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading and writing SCO DAT tapes uing Linux

Hi, Guys. I've been trying to read and write SCO DAT tapes to my Linux hard disk. I'm using RedHat 6.0 because it is the only version that has device drivers for my SCSI host adapter and SCSI tape drive. When I run the command "cpio -ivt > /dev/st0" I can read the archive from the SCO... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
3 Replies

3. SCO

Read a SCO floppy disk under another OS...

I have formatted a floppy disk under SCO unix. Is there a way I could read this disk under another operating system e.g. Windows or Linux? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgertsos
1 Replies

4. SCO

Sco 5.0.7 on ibm server, no floppy drive.

I cannot install sco on this particular ibm server because sco cannot find the raid controller and thefore the logical drive. I have a floppy disk that I use in other machines when boot: shows on the screen. I usually type restart link=ad320 and it works but this time i have no floppy drive. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iNetForce
1 Replies

5. SCO

Read Floppy disk in SCO OpenServer 5.0

help me please i am beguinner in SCO operating system how i can read Floppy disk i install SCO OpenServer5.02 i want to /mnt but no result (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: walidfinder
3 Replies

6. Linux

How to install linux in a system without cdrom, usb boot, floppy, other OS?

Hello to everyone, I am new to linux and I want to move to this system after bad experiences with windows. I have also a particular problem. An old laptop is probably able to handle just linux at this point of its life. The cdrom is gone, the bios doesn't have usb boot support, there is no... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: highkftj
6 Replies

7. SCO

Floppy Disk not reading in cygwin

Hi, I have 3 floppy disc (SCO uniix) compressed files in it. I am in windows XP environment, installed cygwin; I tried to read these files and copy out but am not able to mount fd; it show is mount unknown type error; Please advise me how can i resolve.. Regards mfm2066 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mfm2006
1 Replies

8. SCO

How to open a floppy in SCO UNIX?

Hi, Please help me to find the command to open a floppy disc 3.5" in Sco Unix Open Server 5.0.6 environment. Device located in dev/fd0. thanks in advance Rukshan (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rukshan4u2c
5 Replies

9. SCO

Trouble with sysv floppy images created under Linux

Hello, I wonder if anybody could help. I'm running SCO Xenix under Qemu on Xubuntu 16.04. I created a SYSV floppy image, but the files on it are poorly displayed when I mounted it under Xenix. I tried to create and format this image under Ubuntu as well as under Xenix. How could I create a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neelix
6 Replies
FDWRITE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						FDWRITE(1)

NAME
fdwrite -- format and write floppy disks SYNOPSIS
fdwrite [-v] [-y] [-f inputfile] [-d device] DESCRIPTION
The fdwrite utility formats and writes one and more floppy disks. Any floppy disk device capable of formatting can be used. The fdwrite utility will ask the user (on /dev/tty) to insert a new floppy and press return. The device will then be opened, and queried for its parameters, then each track will be formatted, written with data from the inputfile, read back and compared. When the floppy disk is filled, the process is repeated, with the next disk. This continues until the program is interrupted or EOF is encountered on the inputfile. The options are as follows: -v Toggle verbosity on stdout. Default is ``on''. After device is opened first time the format will be printed. During operation progress will be reported with the number of tracks remaining on the current floppy disk, and the letters I, Z, F, W, R and C, which indicates completion of Input, Zero-fill, Format Write, Read and Compare of current track respec- tively. -y Do not ask for presence of a floppy disk in the drive. This non-interactive flag is useful for shell scripts. -f inputfile Input file to read. If none is given, stdin is assumed. -d device The name of the floppy device to write to. Default is /dev/fd0. The fdwrite utility actually closes the device while it waits for the user to press return, it is thus quite possible to use the drive for other purposes at this time and later resume writing with the next floppy. The parameters returned from device are used for formatting. If custom formatting is needed, please use fdformat(1) instead. EXAMPLES
The fdwrite utility was planned as a tool to make life easier when writing a set of floppies, one such use could be to write a tar-archive: tar cf -. | gzip -9 | fdwrite -d /dev/fd0.1720 -v The main difference from using tar(1)'s multivolume facility is of course the formatting of the floppies, which here is done on the fly, thus reducing the amount of work for the floppy-jockey. SEE ALSO
fdformat(1) HISTORY
The fdwrite utility was written while waiting for ``make world'' to complete. Some of the code was taken from fdformat(1). AUTHORS
The program has been contributed by Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Diagnostics are less than complete at present. If a floppy is sick, and the inputfile is seekable, it should ask the user to frisbee the disk, insert another, and rewind to the right spot and continue. This concept could be extended to cover non-seekable input also by employing a temporary file. An option (defaulting to zero) should allow the user to ask for retries in case of failure. At present a suitable tool for reading back a multivolume set of floppies is missing. Programs like tar(1) for instance, will do the job, if the data has not been compressed. One can always trust dd(1) to help out in this situation of course. BSD
September 16, 1993 BSD