Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Socket Problem
Top Forums Programming Socket Problem Post 48960 by DreamWarrior on Monday 22nd of March 2004 03:08:59 PM
Old 03-22-2004
All applications can talk through a firewall as the firewall is just a configurable piece of hardware or software that allows or disallows network communication based on a set of rules. The firewall is transparent to the application and the underlying socket routines used just as the many routers and switches in between the two machines are transparent. This is the nature of IP packet routing.

However, if what you are talking about is attempting to get your application's communication "through" the firewall you may want to research such things as SOCKS. Many applications can use these "proxy servers" to tunnel through a firewall by authenticating their communication through it. If this is what you want then google SOCKS and I'm sure you'll find out a lot more than can be explained here.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Problem in HP-Unix while writing into socket

Our system is having a server and multiple clients. We are monitoring the client FDs using select() system call in HP-UX. After establishing connection-using socket with the remote client, before start sending the data we are checking the status of socket using select( ) call. For first 16... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AshokG
0 Replies

2. Programming

Problem Connecting to Socket

Can anyone help? I'm trying to write a program which will write to a socket. I can get the server to run, but always get an error when I try to connect. It gives me an error at the "connect" command. It's probably a simple error, but I can't seem to find it. #include <sys/socket.h>... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stevhp
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

problem with socket reading

I am not able to receive the message on socket in the current process when its waiting for its child to exit. code looks something like below //in one thread of the current process //thread 1 =============================================== int numBytes = read(sockid,buf,SIZE); //Now the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: swap007
2 Replies

4. Programming

and again, socket() related problem...

Dear All, I've searched many topics and googled many web-pages, but still I didn't found solution to this problem. I want to set timeout for connect(). The thing is, that my code works only on BSD, on Linux (tested on SuSE box) it freezes at connect() call :( bool SomeFunc(std::string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sggkxv
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

connect problem for sctp socket (ipv6 socket) - Runtime fail Invalid Arguments

Hi, I was porting ipv4 application to ipv6; i was done with TCP transports. Now i am facing problem with SCTp transport at runtime. To test SCTP transport I am using following server and client socket programs. Server program runs fine, but client program fails giving Invalid Arguments for... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
0 Replies

6. Programming

Problem with socket connection

I have a client /server file operation program.It works properly when i run the client and server program in the same system.but when i try to run the client in one system and server in another system i am getting an error in the cleint machine as "ERROR:Connection refused". Plz help me in this ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
1 Replies

7. Programming

Problem with Socket program..

I wrote a program which will send a message to multiple clients(i.e, broadcasting) that are connected to a server.Once when the client receives a message from the server ,the client should read a file in the server and display it in the client.The client which responds (i.e, client wants all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

8. Programming

Socket++ library problem.

Hi, My name is Daniel and I'm spanish, so I'm sorry if you can't undertand something becouse of my low-level english. Something stranger is happening to me with socket++ library and I don't know how to work on it. I has a library called commands.so and the sslclient is and object of that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lock.cda
4 Replies

9. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

socket programing-problem with server

hi, i am new to socket programming.i have a problem in server.requirement is it should continuosly read the requests from client(sends requests continuously) and after certain delay(i kept der sleep) should send response. for this i used msgqueues so that after reading it is sending into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandinisree
1 Replies

10. IP Networking

Execution Problem with socket

Hi My socket program is to communicate between the two systems connected with lan. Always i am getting an error saying bind value is -1 or not connected. ..If i run both the server and client programs in the same machine in two diff terminals they are working but they are not working between two... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurvareddy
3 Replies
Net::Config(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  Net::Config(3pm)

NAME
Net::Config - Local configuration data for libnet SYNOPSYS
use Net::Config qw(%NetConfig); DESCRIPTION
"Net::Config" holds configuration data for the modules in the libnet distribution. During installation you will be asked for these values. The configuration data is held globally in a file in the perl installation tree, but a user may override any of these values by providing their own. This can be done by having a ".libnetrc" file in their home directory. This file should return a reference to a HASH containing the keys described below. For example # .libnetrc { nntp_hosts => [ "my_preferred_host" ], ph_hosts => [ "my_ph_server" ], } __END__ METHODS
"Net::Config" defines the following methods. They are methods as they are invoked as class methods. This is because "Net::Config" inherits from "Net::LocalCfg" so you can override these methods if you want. requires_firewall HOST Attempts to determine if a given host is outside your firewall. Possible return values are. -1 Cannot lookup hostname 0 Host is inside firewall (or there is no ftp_firewall entry) 1 Host is outside the firewall This is done by using hostname lookup and the "local_netmask" entry in the configuration data. NetConfig VALUES nntp_hosts snpp_hosts pop3_hosts smtp_hosts ph_hosts daytime_hosts time_hosts Each is a reference to an array of hostnames (in order of preference), which should be used for the given protocol inet_domain Your internet domain name ftp_firewall If you have an FTP proxy firewall (NOT an HTTP or SOCKS firewall) then this value should be set to the firewall hostname. If your firewall does not listen to port 21, then this value should be set to "hostname:port" (eg "hostname:99") ftp_firewall_type There are many different ftp firewall products available. But unfortunately there is no standard for how to traverse a firewall. The list below shows the sequence of commands that Net::FTP will use user Username for remote host pass Password for remote host fwuser Username for firewall fwpass Password for firewall remote.host The hostname of the remote ftp server 0 There is no firewall 1 USER user@remote.host PASS pass 2 USER fwuser PASS fwpass USER user@remote.host PASS pass 3 USER fwuser PASS fwpass SITE remote.site USER user PASS pass 4 USER fwuser PASS fwpass OPEN remote.site USER user PASS pass 5 USER user@fwuser@remote.site PASS pass@fwpass 6 USER fwuser@remote.site PASS fwpass USER user PASS pass 7 USER user@remote.host PASS pass AUTH fwuser RESP fwpass ftp_ext_passive ftp_int_passive FTP servers can work in passive or active mode. Active mode is when you want to transfer data you have to tell the server the address and port to connect to. Passive mode is when the server provide the address and port and you establish the connection. With some firewalls active mode does not work as the server cannot connect to your machine (because you are behind a firewall) and the firewall does not re-write the command. In this case you should set "ftp_ext_passive" to a true value. Some servers are configured to only work in passive mode. If you have one of these you can force "Net::FTP" to always transfer in passive mode; when not going via a firewall, by setting "ftp_int_passive" to a true value. local_netmask A reference to a list of netmask strings in the form "134.99.4.0/24". These are used by the "requires_firewall" function to determine if a given host is inside or outside your firewall. The following entries are used during installation & testing on the libnet package test_hosts If true then "make test" may attempt to connect to hosts given in the configuration. test_exists If true then "Configure" will check each hostname given that it exists perl v5.12.1 2010-07-01 Net::Config(3pm)