Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting getting the path part of an argument Post 48957 by druuna on Monday 22nd of March 2004 02:06:37 PM
Old 03-22-2004
Quote:
Or is there a reason why you had the two forward slashes?
If I'm honest: Didn't think of that.
I _always_ use absolute pathnames, that's why Smilie

Quote:
Also, I still need to account for the possibility of the path being just "/" -- and of course the possibility of there not being a path at all
You could do some basic checks on $1.

Something like this maybe (one line):
[[ ! -n $1 ]] || [[ $1 == "/" ]]&& echo "Supply (correct) filename please." && exit 1

If $1 is NULL OR $1 equals / then print the message and exit.
druuna

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum length of a path given as an argument to a shell script

hi, I am using solaris10. I have to write a bourne shell script, which copies files for the said destination path which is passed as an argument to the script. it looks like this myscript.sh /var/test -->destination path now i would like to know what is the maximum length i can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghu.amilineni
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

retrieve part of file path

Hi I am trying to use sed to retrieve part of my html file's path. I am having a hard time getting what I want. Could someone give me some help? I want to retrieve the section after html and before the file name For example if I have the following, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger66
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex to select last part of a path

Hi all, I am learning the use of regular expression and I would like to know which regex can be used to select only the last part of a directory path name. Something like: /dir1/dir2/dir2 and I want to select the last /dir2 where dir2 can be any kind of string. Thanks a lot for your help.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elric
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

taking a part of string from a given path

Hi I have two path as follows system/console/bin/code/sample/testfile.txt system/console/bin/database/files/new/dbfile.txt I need the output as code/sample in first case database/files/new in second case That is I am omitting system/console/bin and the filename(s) in both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssuresh1999
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How do i use vi to substitute an expression that is part of a path?

Let say I have /home/user1/bin/ and i want it to be /root/bin I tried : s/\/home\/user1/user2/ but it can't find the pattern user1. I tried: s/*\/home\/user1*/user2/ as well same result many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: c00lsnoopy
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing full path as argument when it contains variable strings

Hi, In directory "inoutfiles", I have folders fold0001, fold0002 and so on. Every folder has corresponding file file0001.txt, file0002.txt and so on. I want to perform a certain action on multiple files in one go. The cpp file is in the same directory as "inoutfiles". This is my code : ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: KidD312
0 Replies

7. Programming

Passing full path as argument when it contains variable strings

Hi, In directory "inoutfiles", I have folders fold0001, fold0002 and so on. Every folder has corresponding file file0001.txt, file0002.txt and so on. I want to perform a certain action on multiple files in one go. The cpp file is in the same directory as "inoutfiles". This is my code : ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KidD312
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass argument in script to run specific part in that

Hello Friends, I need you help ! I have a scripts names runsteps.sh which contains command to run bunch of commands for each application you want to install " Oracle " Jboss" etc echo " Which app you want to install Jboss" ? Yes or no? read ans depending on Yes or not it goes inside... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identify full path in argument

I have a small script to send copies of files to another computer used for tests but in the same location:pwd=`pwd` for i in "$@" do echo "rcp -p $i comp-2:$pwd/$i" rcp -p $i comp-2:$pwd/$i echo "Finished with $i" doneIs there a way I can check the parameter to see if it is a full... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbport
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

A way to print only part of directory path

Hi, So I struggled to find a solution to the following problem: I want to make sed print only part of multiple different paths. So lets say we have /path/path1/path2/logs/bla/blabla /path/path1/path2/path3/logs/yadda/yadda/yadda Can someone suggest a way to make sed or other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dampio
5 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)