Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: arg list too long
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers arg list too long Post 4894 by clemeot on Thursday 2nd of August 2001 11:43:37 PM
Old 08-03-2001
i got few stupid ways to solve this problem.

let's say if u a files like:

ABC20010731xxxxx.xxx
ABC20010801xxxxx.xxx
ABC20010802xxxxx.xxx
ABC20010803xxxxx.xxx

if for the amount of files is more than 4000

u can specify what file you want to count or list
eg. ls ABC20010801* |more

maybe this is work also
list all the files in the directory
eg. ll -ltr |more

if only want to count the files in the dir, i think this is work also
eg. ls |wc -l

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

egrep and Arg list too long

hi everyone, We have a heck of a lot of files in a particular directory and I need to search through all of them to find a list of all files containing particular text strings...one being a date and the other being the name of the report that is printed on the files..... I've tried the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingo
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zcat --> Arg list too long

Hi all I have more than 1000 files in a folder and when ever i use a "compress" or "zcat" command it give error /bin/zcat: Arg list too long. . any solution for this :o (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muneebr
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

arg list too long

Does anyone have a solution for arg list too long error. I have got this from the web but I fail to make any sense out of it Thanks enc (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: encrypted
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -t arg list too long

echo dirname/filename* | xargs ls -t As a substitute doesn't give the results desired when I exceed the buffer size. I still want the files listed in chronological order, unfortunately xargs releases the names piecemeal...does anyone have any ideas? :( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CSU_Ram
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when mv files?

hello all i need some help because i am a unix/linux dummy...i have the following: DIR1> has 121437 files in it with varying dates going back to early April, a sub dir DIR1/DIR2> has 55835 files in it I need to move all files (T*.*) out of DIR1 into DIR2 that are older than today? Ive been... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamos007
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

arg list too long when trying to tar files

Hi, I am trying to perform this task: tar -cvf tar.newfile ??????.bas I got error "arg list too long". Is ther any way around? I have about 1500 file need to be tar together. Thanks in advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jds3
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg List too Long in SCP

Hey guys. I have a program written in which i am trying to get the files from one remote machine and transferring the files to another remote machine using SCP. It works fine for 50 or 60 files but when the files grows to 250 then i get an error message stating "Arg list too long". #scp -p... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chris1234
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long

Hi, Help. I have a file that contains a list of users in a file. I want to cat the content of the file and feed it into sed to a preformated report. The error I got is "ksh: /usr/bin/sed: arg list too long" My method below. A=`cat FILE1.txt` B=`echo $A` sed "s#USERLIST#$B#" FILE2 >... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zenwork
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

arg list too long error

Hello, I'm trying to search through 30,000 files in 1 directory, and am getting the "arg list too long" error. I've searched this forum and have been playing around with xargs and can't get that to work either. I'm using ksh on Solaris. Here's my original code: nawk "/Nov 21/{_=2}_&&_--"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kristin_in_CO
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Arg list too long

Hello All, I am trying to find a file name with .sh exention from a list of .dat files inside a directory. find /app/folder1/* -name '*.dat'| xargs grep '.sh' ksh: /usr/local/bin/find: arg list too long Please help me finding the command. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkhan9
3 Replies
TOKENS(1)						       AFS Command Reference							 TOKENS(1)

NAME
tokens, tokens.krb - Displays the issuer's tokens SYNOPSIS
tokens [-help] tokens [-h] tokens.krb [-help] tokens.krb [-h] DESCRIPTION
The tokens command displays all tokens (tickets) cached on the local machine for the issuer. AFS server processes require that their clients present a token as evidence that they have authenticated in the server's local cell. The (mostly obsolete) tokens.krb command is the same as tokens except that it also displays the user's Kerberos v4 ticket cache. OPTIONS
-help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The output lists one token for each cell in which the user is authenticated. The output indicates the o User's AFS UID, if it is available for display. o Server for which the token is valid (normally, afs). This includes a cell specification. o Day and time the token expires. The output of the Kerberos version of this command, tokens.krb, also reports the following about the Kerberos ticket-granting ticket: the ticket owner, which Kerberos ticket-granting service that issued the ticket (for example, "krbtgt.ABC.COM"), and ticket's expiration date. The string "--End of list--" appears at the end of the output. If the user is not authenticated in any cell, this line is all that appears. EXAMPLES
The following example shows the output when the issuer is not authenticated in any cell. % tokens Tokens held by the Cache Manager: --End of list-- The following example shows the output when the issuer is authenticated in ABC Corporation cell, where he or she has AFS UID 1000. % tokens Tokens held by the Cache Manager: User's (AFS ID 1000) tokens for afs@abc.com [Expires Jan 2 10:00] --End of list-- The following example shows the output when the issuer is authenticated in the ABC Corporation cell, the State University cell, and the XYZ Company cell. The user has different AFS UIDs in the three cells. Tokens for last cell are expired: % tokens Tokens held by the Cache Manager: User's (AFS ID 1000) tokens for afs@abc.com [Expires Jan 3 10:00] User's (AFS ID 4286) tokens for afs@stateu.edu [Expires Jan 3 1:34] User's (AFS ID 22) tokens for afs@xyz.com [>>Expired<] --End of list-- The following example shows the output when the issuer uses the tokens.krb version of the command after authenticating in the ABC Corporation cell using the klog.krb command. % tokens.krb Tokens held by the Cache Manager: User's (AFS ID 1000) tokens for afs@abc.com [Expires Jan 31 00:09] User smiths tokens for krbtgt.ABC.COM@abc.com [Expires Jan 31 00:09] --End of list-- PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
None SEE ALSO
klog(1), unlog(1) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 TOKENS(1)