Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Remote printing
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Remote printing Post 48900 by warrickj on Sunday 21st of March 2004 07:09:36 PM
Old 03-21-2004
Remote printing

I'm trying to print from my Solaris server to a Windows Print Server

The Print Server will then pass the print job to a PC connected via dial-up and print it locally.

EG:

Solaris
-----
| |
| |
------
/88888/
-------
\
/
\

Win Prt Svr Remote PC & Prtr
---- ---- _____
| | /\ / | | /____ /
| | / \/ | | [ ] |
---- ---- [_____]/
/8888/ /8888/
----- -----

I've installed Windows services for Unix but still can't get the job which exits Solaris nicely, to appear at the Windows print queue.

Warrick

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Remote Printing

I am setting up a unix remote print server for approximately 500 printers. We send about 1,000 print jobs per day over the WAN. I am looking for hardware specs. I know I can overkill, but would rather get a sensible machine. Any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donna
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Remote Printing

I am using Sco Openserver 5.0.6 and I have an Okidata 16n printer on a GETNET print server. I am able to print to the printer. However I am having display issues. Normally when I setup a local printer I am able to tell it what model to use. Ex.(HPLaserJet). When I setup the remote... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stufine
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Remote Dial-up Modem Printing With Out Cpu On The Remote Side!

I am looking for a dial-up remote printing solution as under : 1. We have a Centralized location where Sun Solaris (A) is installed. From here printing command will be despatched. 2. This printing command will be routed to WAN cloud to Main Branches (B1,B2,B3)and from there, printer at... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayvee
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Remote Printing to HP 1000

Our system is an HP RP5470 11.11. We have had remote printing working for over 6 years. We use NetManage ViewNow software on our Windows client as the LPD. We had no problems with remote printing for any HP printer except for the HP LAserJet 1000. Nothing prints. I sent all the files in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stabia
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Remote printing

Dear Sir Please how can I print a job localy with my printer while a server from where I am working belong to another network? Actulally to print a job I am oblige to : 1rst to print it inside a file 2nd coping the file to my network (rcp) 3rt sending the file to my local printer (lp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sobnc
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO5.0/Facetwin Remote Printing

I've been experiencing problems with remote printers not printing unexpectedly (two in the past three weeks). The first time I switched the computer to redirect the print job. This took care of the problem, however, now I have a different printer which quit working for no apparent reason. This... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chtriller
0 Replies

7. SCO

Remote Printing - 5.07 - MP5

I have just lost all of my printers and I forget how to create a remote printer in SCO 5.07. I do know that there is an issue with CUPS in that I have to "turn it off" (which I also forget how to do) so that this enables the "Remote Printer" setup option in Printer Administration. I thought... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atpbrownie
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Remote printing from Linux to AIX

Hello, I also posted this on the AIX forum in hopes of getting help. I am trying to setup remote printing from a Linux machine (Red Hat 5.3) to an AIX machine (AIX 5.3). Remote printing for "normal" print jobs is working out OK, but I'm having trouble with some AIX printers that have a user... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbaker
0 Replies

9. SCO

Remote printing configuring

Hi, We have a Unix 3.2v5.0.5. I installed a printer via scoadmin, HP network printer manager with network peripheral name an ip-adress. This is the configuration file : root@sco1 # cat configuration Banner: on:Always Content types: simple Device: /dev/null Interface:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haezeban
4 Replies

10. SCO

Unix remote printing

Sir, i have a sco 5.5 installed server and 6 clients connected through pci specialix card and printing working fine in these all terminals. 7 and 8 ports are free now, i need to setup another terminal for login on through 7 or 8 port for remote login. i connect a external modem using 25 pin male... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aneesh Kumar.T
2 Replies
XpStartJob(3Xp) 						 XPRINT FUNCTIONS						   XpStartJob(3Xp)

NAME
XpStartJob - Indicates the beginning of a single print job. SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lXp [ library... ] #include <X11/extensions/Print.h> void XpStartJob ( display, output_mode ) Display *display; XPSaveData output_mode; ARGUMENTS
display Specifies a pointer to the Display structure; returned from XOpenDisplay. output_mode Specifies how the printer output data is to be handled. DESCRIPTION
XpStartJob signals the beginning of a new print job. If output_mode is XPSpool the X Print Server will automatically spool the printer output. If output_mode is XPGetData, then the X Print Server buffers the document output for retrieval by XpGetDocumentData. In this case, the print server suspends processing further requests on this print context until some other client sends XpGetDocumentData. Subsequent operations that use the print context may be suspended at any time pending the processing of XpGetDocumentData replies to read any buffered output. XpStartJob sets the job-owner job attribute (included in the XPJobAttr pool) immediately prior to issuing the PrintStartJob request. On POSIX systems, the job-owner attribute is set using getpwuid_r on the result of getuid. This attribute may be used by the X Print Server to identify the user to the spooler. All changes to the XPJobAttr attribute pool (see XpSetAttributes) must be made prior to calling XpStartJob, after which an XPBadSequence will be generated if changes are attempted, until XpEndJob is called. For clients selecting XPPrintMask (see XpSelectInput), the event XPPrintNotify will be generated with its detail field set to XPStartJobNo- tify when the X Print Server has completed the PrintStartJob request. Conceptually, a "Job" is a collection of "Documents", where each Document is in turn a collection of "Pages". Depending on the print facil- ities underlying the X Print Server, these delineations may be mapped by a DDX driver into real functionality (e.g. see the server attribute multiple-documents-supported). STRUCTURES
The XPSaveData values for output_mode are defined in <X11/extensions/Print.h>. : #define XPSpool 1 /* Job data sent to spooler */ #define XPGetData 2 /* Job data via XpGetDocumentData */ DIAGNOSTICS
BadValue The value specified for output_mode is not valid. XPBadContext A valid print context-id has not been set prior to making this call. XPBadSequence The function was not called in the proper order with respect to the other X Print Service Extension calls (example, XpEndDoc prior to XpStartDoc). SEE ALSO
XpEndJob(3Xp), XpGetDocumentData(3Xp), XpSelectInput(3Xp), XpSetAttributes(3Xp), XpStartJob(3Xp) X Version 11 libXp 1.0.0 XpStartJob(3Xp)