Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users How to supress a "Killed" message when a process is terminated? Post 48875 by Perderabo on Friday 19th of March 2004 10:38:49 PM
Old 03-19-2004
The "killed" message comes from the shell not the tail. So you need to redirect the shell's file descriptors. Try this:

exec >/dev/null 2>&1
something | tail-f >/dev/tty 2>&1

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process seen in "ps aux" but not "top"

Hi, I have a process that can be seen after "ps aux" command. However when I do "top" command. This process cannot be seen. How can this happen? Is there anything wrong with my code? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monkfan
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Red Hat

"service" , "process" and " daemon" ?

Friends , Anybody plz tell me what is the basic difference between "service" , "process" and " daemon" ? Waiting for kind reply .. .. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

4. AIX

After run ps , uptime , w command I get reply "killed"

Hi, After run ps , uptime , w command I get reply "killed" as normal dba and staff group user. As root every command works fine. I cheched all the user settings , right with other servers and I could not find any error and other settings. The oslevel is 5300-10-01-0921. Any idea to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: boki
12 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix "look" Command "File too large" Error Message

I am trying to find lines in a text file larger than 3 Gb that start with a given string. My command looks like this: $ look "string" "/home/patrick/filename.txt" However, this gives me the following message: "look: /home/patrick/filename.txt: File too large" So, I have two... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: shishong
14 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
AMCLEANUP(8)						  System Administration Commands					      AMCLEANUP(8)

NAME
amcleanup - run the Amanda cleanup process after a failure SYNOPSIS
amcleanup [-k] [-p] [-r] [-v] config DESCRIPTION
Amcleanup generates the Amanda Mail Report and updates the Amanda databases after a system failure on a tape server host. This cleanup process is normally done automatically as part of the amdump program, but if amdump cannot complete for some reason (usually because of a tape server host crash), amcleanup must be run some time later (usually during system boot). The amcleanupdisk program is run with the same [-r] and [-v] options. See the amanda(8) man page for more details about Amanda. OPTIONS
-k Kill all process listed in the log file are their child. if there is no log file, then kill all amdump and amflush process and their child. -p Do the cleanup only if all process listed in the log file are already terminated. -r Remove bad file in holding disk. This options is passed to amcleanupdisk. -v Generate verbose output. This options is passed to amcleanupdisk. EXAMPLES
This example runs the Amanda cleanup process by hand after a failure. % amcleanup daily Putting the following line in a system boot script (e.g. /etc/rc.local) runs the Amanda cleanup process as part of the reboot, eliminating the need to run it by hand. /usr/local/sbin/amcleanup daily If nothing needs to be done, amcleanup exits normally with the message: amcleanup: no unprocessed logfile to clean up. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amdump(8) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
James da Silva <jds@amanda.org> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMCLEANUP(8)