Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Passing Hash Tables to Subroutines Post 4885 by mirzabhai on Thursday 2nd of August 2001 03:04:32 PM
Old 08-02-2001
Passing Hash Tables to Subroutines

Hi:

How do I pass a hash table down to a subroutine along with some other variables?

For example, I have say a subroutine play_with_hash:

sub play_with_hash
{
my( $var1, $var2, %my_hash ) = @_;
#do stuff with %my_hash
}

Then I want to call the subroutine say in the main routine but i want to send a hash table in the main routine for the subroutine to use:

play_with_hash( $variableA, $variableB, %this_hash );

unfortunately this doesn't work, i get the hash through but $var1 and var2 don't get assigned the right value in the subroutine. any ideas people? THANKS!

Smilie Smilie Smilie Smilie Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Returning Hash Tables in Perl

Hi: Does anybody know how to return hash tables created in a function? I have something like so: %a_hash_table = build_a_hash_table(); sub build_a_hash_table { my(%hash_table); #some code to build hash table: "%hash_table" for e.g return %hash_table; } ----> This... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mirzabhai
1 Replies

2. Programming

hash tables, pthread_key_create

I want to store a bunch of pthread_t types in a hash table, but since pthread_t is not an integer value, I cannot hash it. I was hoping to store a unique nonzero as key 0 for each thread with thread-specific data ala pthread_key_create/pthread_setspecific, but but as it turns out only the first... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting tables of row data into columns of tables

I am trying to transpose tables listed in the format into format. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Input: test_data_1 1 2 90% 4 3 91% 5 4 90% 6 5 90% 9 6 90% test_data_2 3 5 92% 5 4 92% 7 3 93% 9 2 92% 1 1 92% ... Output:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justthisguy
7 Replies

4. Programming

Compression algorithm( usage of Hash tables)

Hi All, i was browsing thru' the opensource glib(deflate/inflate) algorithms.. which i am supposed to implement. I came across Dictionary usage (Hash tables), LZ77 algorithm and Huffman coding in that.. i couldn't follow on the Hash table implementation in that. Anybody there to give some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rvan
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a hash to another script in perl

I have a script (say script1.sh ) and I am calling a script (say script2.sh) within the script1.sh. Here in script1.sh I have a hash ( say %hash1) and i have to pass this hash to script2.sh. Basically i have to do some processing in Scirpt2.sh based on the hash(key,values). I wanted to know how can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ammu
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl - passing hash references to functions

hi there I have the following script in which i have created a PrintHash() function. I want to pass to this function the reference to a hash (in the final code i will be passing different hashes to this print function hence the need for a function). I am getting an error Type of arg 1 to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
1 Replies

7. Programming

Hash tables concepts

How hash tables are used to quickly locate a data record? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing Hash variable in to sql query in perl

Hi Everyone, Can anyone help me how do i call hash variable in to sql query in perl. Please see the script below i have defined two Hash %lc and %tab as below $lc{'REFF'}='V_RES_CLASS'; $lc{'CALE'}='V_CAP_CLASS'; $lc{'XRPD'}='V_XFMR_CLASS'; $tab{'V_RES_CLASS'}='V_MFR_SERS';... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jam_prasanna
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hash Tables of Buffers

Hello, I want to know how hash tables for buffers were implemented in Unix and now, in linux how they are implemented ? I am aware of what hashing is..also quite familiar with Unix/Linux. Special case is how device numbers comes into picture..I am curious ! If possible consider some... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: istevan
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare values of hashes of hash for n number of hash in perl without sorting.

Hi, I have an hashes of hash, where hash is dynamic, it can be n number of hash. i need to compare data_count values of all . my %result ( $abc => { 'data_count' => '10', 'ID' => 'ABC122', } $def => { 'data_count' => '20', 'ID' => 'defASe', ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: asak
1 Replies
PLOT(3F)																  PLOT(3F)

NAME
plot: openpl et al. - f77 library interface to plot(3X) libraries. SYNOPSIS
subroutine openpl() subroutine erase() subroutine label(str) character str*(*) subroutine line(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) subroutine box(ix1, iy1, ix2, iy2) Draw a rectangle and leave the cursor at ( ix2,iy2). subroutine circle(ix, iy, ir) subroutine arc(ix, iy, ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine move(ix, iy) subroutine cont(ix, iy) subroutine point(ix, iy) subroutine linemd(str) character str*(*) subroutine space(ix0, iy0, ix1, iy1) subroutine clospl() DESCRIPTION
These are interface subroutines, in the library -lf77plot, allowing f77 users to call the plot(3X) graphics routines which generate graphic output in a relatively device-independent manner. The f77 subroutine names are the same as the C function names except that linemod and closepl have been shortened to linemd and clospl . See plot(5) and plot(3X) for a description of their effect. Only the first 255 character in string arguments to label and linemd are used. This library must be specified in the f77(1) command before the device specific graphics library; for example, to compile and load a FOR- TRAN program in prog.f to run on a Tektronix 4014 terminal: f77 prog.f -lf77plot -l4014 See plot(3X) for a complete list of device specific plotting libraries. SEE ALSO
plot(5), plot(1G), plot(3X), graph(1G) 4.3 Berkeley Distribution April 30, 1986 PLOT(3F)