Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers awk | stop after specified number of results Post 48767 by Ygor on Tuesday 16th of March 2004 05:13:24 AM
Old 03-16-2004
Or use the exit function in awk to exit immediately, e.g...

awk '/pattern/ {print; count++; if (count=2000) exit}'
This User Gave Thanks to Ygor For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop awk adding a new line

In a loop, I want to append some text to a file without generating a new line (and then force a new line before re-iterating the loop). In the code below the first 'echo' command is OK as it uses '--n' for no new line. For the 'awk' line I *thought* I could solve it by using printf rather than... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TobyR
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need a little help with results from awk

Hi there all, I am using a line to get some replys from my PS I do ps -ef |awk '{printf $9}' But my result is 1 big line. No spaces between the lines or someting for example:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: draco
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

putting grep -c results number in a variable

I want to display "no results found" if a grep search of a name that the user inputs is not found anywhere in a certain file, Right now I have this, but doesn't seem to work. Im not sure what to change. read name results=grep -c $name file if ; then echo "No results found." exit... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: busdude
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substituting variable value in AWK /start/,/stop/

Hi all u brilient people on the forum... I am trying to call the variable value in awk command for search pattern /start/,/stop/ but i am nt able to do this .... wat i did is ..i have created two variable YESTERDAY and TODAY and passed the y'day n 2'days dates in it...like this ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: whomi
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk - Count instances of a number in col1 and put results in a col2 (new) of diff file

I have 2 files as follows: filename1: : 6742 /welcome/mundial98_ahf1_404.htm 1020 6743 /welcome/mundial98_ahf1_404.htm 2224 6744 /welcome/mundial_ef1_404.htm 21678 6745 /welcome/mundial_if_404.htm 4236 6746 /welcome/mundial_lf1_404.htm 21678 filename2: 6746 894694763 1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jontjioe
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass port number in stop script

In unix i have to start service and it promts to enter port number: /usr/mydir/ca >./stop_ca_devp And it prompts message like : Enter the port number of the server you would like to shut down : Then I type xxxx then it stops the service.Now what I need is remove manual intervention.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count number of results found?

Hi guys, I'm struggling with this one, any help is appreciated. I have File1 with hundreds of unique words, like this: word1 word2 word3 I want to count each word from file1 in file2 and return how many times each word is found. I tried something like this: for i in $(cat file1); do... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: demmel
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Attach filename to wc results on massive number of files

Hello, I have massive number of big files that needed to be counted for the total number of lines (> 100x millions) each. I want the file name attached to the count results so that they are aligned nicely matching name and counts. I could do each file at a time, which will take hours to finish,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command to show the number of results

Hi I wanted to know if there is an option in grep command to show the number of results (not the number of lines of findings). Thanks (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdossamad2003
14 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)