Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix environment issues
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Unix environment issues Post 48751 by Optimus_P on Monday 15th of March 2004 05:07:07 PM
Old 03-15-2004
TZ is a shell environment setting.

since the program starts it initiates the TZ variable.

in a shell account if you change the TZ variable it is not effective untill you start a new shell instance.

you would need to put in some kinda code that checks an external file for the TZ variable so you can change it on a whim.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MixWindows UNIX environment

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in this area. The company that I work at is trying to bring a Windows 2000 server online and have the UNIX workstations and Clients connect to it like it is anothe UNIX box. They have been using Windows Services for UNIX to do this but are having... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaikara1
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

personalizing my unix environment

I share a login id/password with several folks so I don't like to change the .profile or other environment variables (e. g., set ignorecase in vi) that other users may expect to be set. Any suggestions to tailor my environment that will not affect other users (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: artjaniger
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Java Programming in UNIX Environment

A suggetion: Don't we need to start Java Programming in UNIX Environment Forum ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cub
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix develop environment

hi! i am Carlos i study @ UABC (Autonomy University of Baja California)... i have a final project.... i need to make a presentation of the new... unix develop environment... but... i have some problems with that.... could you tell me something to help me? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nx GT-R
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Environment Script

Hi, I was wondering what is the best way to write a centralized unix environment script. This script would set the application environment variables per specific environment. e.g. dev, qa, test or prod. We currenlty have 2 types of env files e.g. .envfile and set.env per environment. These... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: acheepi
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

programming for unix environment

i have to make a menu based program to allow iusers to select the system information about their machine that they want. All i have been taught is how to enter commands at the command prompt like simple commands such as pwd and cd directory to change directory (not even sure if that is right). But... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: carlvernon
1 Replies

7. Programming

New to C Programming in UNIX environment

Hi all, I know the basics of C programming, but I dont know a single thing about how to write, compile and run C code in UNIX, also where liberaris are stored, how .headers files are being managed in unix, how to debug c code and what are the available GNU tools for c programming in linux env,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: patras
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

unix environment

Hi, Can anyone recommend a site where one can practise UNIX scripting . I don't have UNIX on my machine however I have heard there are some sites which let you log on to their servers for free. Thanks Rohit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohitv
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Package release on UNIX environment

Hi, Can some one tell what is Package release on UNIX environment. Thanks, Nag (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
1 Replies
platform::shell(n)					       Tcl Bundled Packages						platform::shell(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
platform::shell - System identification support code and utilities SYNOPSIS
package require platform::shell ?1.1.4? platform::shell::generic shell platform::shell::identify shell platform::shell::platform shell _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The platform::shell package provides several utility commands useful for the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell. This package allows the identification of the architecture of a specific Tcl shell different from the shell running the package. The only requirement is that the other shell (identified by its path), is actually executable on the current machine. While for most platform this means that the architecture of the interrogated shell is identical to the architecture of the running shell this is not generally true. A counter example are all platforms which have 32 and 64 bit variants and where a 64bit system is able to run 32bit code. For these running and interrogated shell may have different 32/64 bit settings and thus different identifiers. For applications like a code repository it is important to identify the architecture of the shell which will actually run the installed packages, versus the architecture of the shell running the repository software. COMMANDS
platform::shell::identify shell This command does the same identification as platform::identify, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::generic shell This command does the same identification as platform::generic, for the specified Tcl shell, in contrast to the running shell. platform::shell::platform shell This command returns the contents of tcl_platform(platform) for the specified Tcl shell. KEYWORDS
operating system, cpu architecture, platform, architecture platform::shell 1.1.4 platform::shell(n)