Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Array size
Top Forums Programming Array size Post 4857 by Neo on Wednesday 1st of August 2001 08:28:12 PM
Old 08-01-2001
When a new process is created it is not given unlimited memory. Much of the memory requirements come from symbols created during compile time based on memory allocation requirements. Examples in C include the malloc system call, memory allocation.

So, the size of any array is contrained by how much space for that array was malloc'ed for example, when the binary was compiled and process executed.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
MALLOC(3) Linux Programmer's Manual MALLOC(3)

NAME
calloc, malloc, free, realloc - Allocate and free dynamic
memory

SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h>

void *calloc(size_t nmemb, size_t size);
void *malloc(size_t size);
void free(void *ptr);
void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size);

DESCRIPTION
calloc() allocates memory for an array of nmemb elements
of size bytes each and returns a pointer to the allocated
memory. The memory is set to zero.

malloc() allocates size bytes and returns a pointer to the
allocated memory. The memory is not cleared.

( ..... extract from man page ... )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

MAX SIZE ARRAY Can Hold it

Hi, Do anyone know what's the max size of array (in awk) can be store before hit any memory issue. Regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: epall
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Size of an array in sh shell script

Is there a way to find out the size of an array in sh shell script? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trivektor
1 Replies

3. Solaris

command to find out total size of a specific file size (spread over the server)

hi all, in my server there are some specific application files which are spread through out the server... these are spread in folders..sub-folders..chid folders... please help me, how can i find the total size of these specific files in the server... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhinov
3 Replies

4. Programming

size of char array in c

i have to store a data more than 100000. i don't know the size of the data whether it may be 100000 or 1000000. so how can i define variable size; example char abc; but i don't know the size so how can i give array size?? in one sentence how can i give the array size dynamically so that i... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani_sree
6 Replies

5. Programming

CHAR Array - stuffed with values - with more size than it holds

Hi All I am simulating a problem in the production where i faced a situation. Please find the following example program which i simulated. #include<stdio.h> #include<stdlib.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char str1; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

The scripts not able to make the file to size 0, every times it go back to its original size

#!/bin/sh ########################################################################################################## #This script is being used for AOK application for cleaning up the .out files and zip it under logs directory. # IBM # Created #For pdocap201/pdoca202 .out files for AOK #1.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mridul10_crj
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use Awk and Array to get total size of files

Hello all, I need to do scripts total up the size in selected extension file for example motion.mov and segmentation.avi is in Label Media. For file info.doc and calc.xls in Label Document. I need output will be like this: count 1 Media,,2 GB count 2 Document,,4 GB My problem is,... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheikh76
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

9. Programming

Php number array from max, min, step size mysql data

I want to create a form with data values in a dropdown list. The values in the dropdown list need to be generated on the fly from max, min and increment values contained in a mysql database. Hopefully this makes sense, I really have no idea where to start :confused: Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: barrydocks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array size in C shell scripting

Hi, I would like to know how to define the size of the array in c shell scripting. (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopishrine
15 Replies
bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)														bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)

NAME
bsdmalloc - memory allocator SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lbsdmalloc [ library ... ] char *malloc(size); unsigned size; int free( ptr); char *ptr; char *realloc( ptr, size); char *ptr; unsigned size; These routines provide a general-purpose memory allocation package. They maintain a table of free blocks for efficient allocation and coa- lescing of free storage. When there is no suitable space already free, the allocation routines call sbrk(2) to get more memory from the system. Each of the allocation routines returns a pointer to space suitably aligned for storage of any type of object. Each returns a null pointer if the request cannot be completed. The malloc() function returns a pointer to a block of at least size bytes, which is appropriately aligned. The free() function releases a previously allocated block. Its argument is a pointer to a block previously allocated by malloc() or real- loc(). The free() function does not set errno. The realloc() function changes the size of the block pointed to by ptr to size bytes and returns a pointer to the (possibly moved) block. The contents will be unchanged up to the lesser of the new and old sizes. If the new size of the block requires movement of the block, the space for the previous instantiation of the block is freed. If the new size is larger, the contents of the newly allocated portion of the block are unspecified. If ptr is NULL, realloc() behaves like malloc() for the specified size. If size is 0 and ptr is not a null pointer, the space pointed to is freed. The malloc() and realloc() functions return a null pointer if there is not enough available memory. They return a non-null pointer if size is 0. These pointers should not be dereferenced. When realloc() returns NULL, the block pointed to by ptr is left intact. Always cast the value returned by malloc() and realloc(). If malloc() or realloc() returns unsuccessfully, errno will be set to indicate the following: ENOMEM size bytes of memory cannot be allocated because it exceeds the physical limits of the system. EAGAIN There is not enough memory available at this point in time to allocate size bytes of memory; but the application could try again later. Using realloc() with a block freed before the most recent call to malloc() or realloc() results in an error. Comparative features of the various allocation libraries can be found in the umem_alloc(3MALLOC) manual page. brk(2), malloc(3C), malloc(3MALLOC), mapmalloc(3MALLOC), umem_alloc(3MALLOC) WARNINGS
Use of libbsdmalloc renders an application non-SCD compliant. The libbsdmalloc routines are incompatible with the memory allocation routines in the standard C-library (libc): malloc(3C), alloca(3C), calloc(3C), free(3C), memalign(3C), realloc(3C), and valloc(3C). 21 Mar 2005 bsdmalloc(3MALLOC)