Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Tar/Tapes: Can somebody explain this to me...... Post 48476 by modaceface on Tuesday 9th of March 2004 04:41:52 AM
Old 03-09-2004
Thanks for help

I'm new to all this! I'm just erasing the tapes now and i'll give it a go using a blocksize of 32 instead of 16384 and I'll let you know!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

ignite tapes

can any1 tell me how to make ignite tapes for the HP-ux. this company said it was: "make_tape_recovery_A", but that don't work. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JBX
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tapes

is there a command to check unoccupied space on a tape ? AIX 3.2 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cubicle^dweller
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tapes

:confused: Hello!! I am a new UNIX user, and I need to back up some files, I have some old ones and I have been trying to delete the old information with 'mt erase' but I don't be sure if it works, and 'mt resert' but the it gave a message suggesting me to use 'scsiha -r' (but the last one... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scs
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to tar to multiple tapes

how to tar to multiple tapes (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sean dixon
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying DAT tapes

I am looking for a way of making a backup of a system DAT tape onto another DAT tape for security reasons. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnrussell
0 Replies

6. Solaris

vxdump with more tapes

Hi Community, I've a V440 Sun Server with 2 device tape of 72GB. I have to backup a folder of 80 GB, so I have to use 2 tapes of 72GB (144 GB); If I use vxdump command which are the options that I have to use? When the first tape finishes does the system stop the backup? Please help me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunb3
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f` only tar 1 file

Hi all, 4 files are returned when i issue 'find . -mtime -1 -type f -ls'. ./ora_475244.aud ./ora_671958.aud ./ora_934052.aud ./ora_934050.aud However, when I issued the below command: tar -cvf test.tar `find . -mtime -1 -type f`, the tar file only contains the 1st file -... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahSher
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

9. AIX

Moving tapes

Hello, anybody out there that is using itdt to manage tape changes in a tape library. The help of itdt show a move subcommand but I can't get it to work. Env: AIX5.3 Dell PowerVault TL2000 tape library -> rmt1 Available 01-08-02 IBM 3580 Ultrium Tape Drive (FCP) # itdt says it finds the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: petervg
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain difference of tar command

Hello All, I have been seeing a weird(at least for me, at this point) issue with a specific tar command. 1st fashion) Normally, if i have to tar anything at the command line I tend to use tar -cvzf <tar-file_name.tgz> <directory_to_be_tarred> this command works perfectly fine with out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getnetha
1 Replies
SCAN_FFS(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SCAN_FFS(8)

NAME
scan_ffs, scan_lfs -- find FFSv1/FFSv2/LFS partitions on a disk or file SYNOPSIS
scan_ffs [-blv] [-e end] [-F file] [-s start] device DESCRIPTION
scan_ffs will take a raw disk device that covers the whole disk or a file and will find all possible FFSv[12]/LFS partitions, independent of block sizes on it. It will show the file system type (FFSv1, FFSv2, or LFS), size, and offset. Also it has an option to show the values with a disklabel-alike output. The options are as follows: -b Report every superblock found with its sector address, rather than trying to report the partition boundaries. This option can be useful to find the other superblocks in a partition if the first superblock has become corrupted. It is most useful if device refers to the raw device for the partition, rather than the entire disk. -e end Where to stop searching for file systems. The end argument specifies the last sector that will be searched. Default is the last sector of device. -F file Path to a file containing possible partitions inside of it. -l Print out a string looking much like the input to disklabel. With a little massaging, this output can usually be used by disklabel(8). -s start Where to start searching for file systems. This makes it easier to skip swap partitions or other large non-UFS/FFS partitions. The start argument specifies the first sector that will be searched. Default is the first sector of device. -v Be verbose about what scan_ffs is doing, and what has been found. The device argument specifies which device scan_ffs should scan for file systems. scan_lfs is just another name for the same program, both behave in exactly the same way. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8) HISTORY
The scan_ffs program first appeared in OpenBSD 2.3 and then in NetBSD 3.1. Support for searching in files was added in NetBSD 4.0. AUTHORS
scan_ffs was written for OpenBSD by Niklas Hallqvist and Tobias Weingartner. It was ported to NetBSD by Juan Romero Pardines, who added sup- port for LFS/FFSv2, partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 2048/16384 for FFSv1, searching on files, etc. BUGS
Currently scan_ffs won't find partitions with fragsize/blocksize greater than 8192/65536. BSD
May 1, 2007 BSD