Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris cannot open /etc/path_to_inst file Post 48391 by frustrated1 on Friday 5th of March 2004 10:54:48 AM
Old 03-05-2004
Hi - I dont know why this happened..

boot -a from the ok prompt has sorted it.. recreated the /etc/path_to_inst file... Thanks!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

/etc/path_to_inst

Hello Friends I was using V490 server with StoreEdge 3500 on Solaris 5.8 platform. It got crashed when the optical link between 3500 and V490 got failed. After a long effort it is now getting messege like below, Rebooting with command: boot Boot device:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

path_to_inst output for usb storage device

Hello, I have a sun blade 100 with solaris 10 and am perplexed by the instances of devices that I see when I attach a usb flash stick to one of the ports in the back of the chassis. Here is what I see for USB storage in /etc/path_to_inst: "/pci@1f,0/usb@c,3/storage@3" 0 "scsa2usb"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: montana77
0 Replies

4. Solaris

path_to_inst file question

When path_to_inst file get created? Can we manually edit it? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokkan
2 Replies

5. Programming

libRmath.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

% locate Rmath /m/backup/backup/lib/R/include/Rmath.h /usr/lib/R/include/Rmath.h % gcc -g -o stand stand.c -I/usr/lib/R/include/ -lRmath -lm % ./stand ./stand: error while loading shared libraries: libRmath.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory What's the trouble... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdbug
6 Replies

6. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Incorrect fabric WWN and path_to_inst Solaris 9

Hi, Over a period of time we gradually migrated all LUN's from our HP EVA array over to our EMC array. From the server it would appear some files require a tidy up and was wondering what the impact it would have if changes were to be made to the fabric_WWN_map and path_to_inst files and if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
0 Replies
device_remap(1M)					  System Administration Commands					  device_remap(1M)

NAME
device_remap - administer the Solaris I/O remapping feature SYNOPSIS
/usr/platform/sun4v/sbin/device_remap [-v | -R dir] DESCRIPTION
Certain multi-node sun4v platforms, such as T5440 and T5240 servers, have an integrated PCI topology that cause the I/O device paths to change in a CPU node failover condition. The device remapping script, device_remap, remaps the device paths in /etc/path_to_inst file and the symlinks under /dev to match the hardware. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -v Displays the /etc/path_to_inst and /dev symlink changes. -R dir Perform remapping on the /etc/path_to_inst and /etc/path_to_inst files in the root image at dir. USAGE
The primary function of device_remap is to remap the device paths in the /etc/path_to_inst file and the symlinks under /dev in a CPU node failover condition to match the hardware. After adding CPU node(s) or removing CPU node(s), boot the system to the OBP prompt and use the following procedure: 1. Boot either the failsafe miniroot using: boot -F failsafe , or an install miniroot using boot net -s or similar command. 2. Mount the root disk as /mnt. 3. Change directory to the mounted root disk: # cd /mnt 4. Run device_remap script: # /mnt/usr/platform/sun4v/sbin/device_remap 5. Boot the system from disk. All the error messages are self-explanatory, except for the error message "missing ioaliases node" which means the firmware on the system does not support device remapping. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Displaying Changes Following Failover The following command displays the path_to_inst and /dev changes following a CPU node failover. # device_remap -v Example 2 Changing Directory Prior to Any Changes The following command changes the directory on which the boot image is mounted prior to making any changes. # device_remap -R /newroot ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWkvm.v | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Unstable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
boot(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Dec 2008 device_remap(1M)