Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) root/admin authorization and PackageMaker Post 48339 by LivinFree on Wednesday 3rd of March 2004 11:26:51 PM
Old 03-04-2004
I don't know for certain if the below is the only difference, nor am I sure how it relates to package installation, but here's my crack at it:

In OSX, root is the same as almost all other Unix systems. Administrator is almost as good. In OSX, an Administrator is in the admin group, which allows them to run "sudo", to run commands as root.

Now, knowing the little I do know about OSX, I do know root is not enabled by default. Administrator is. Depending on the administrator scripts, you may be able to require admin privelages, and sudo your commands.

Either way, they'll be prompted for either an admin, or the root, login. My gut instinct would tell me to go with administration requirements, not root.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root/admin commands in LINUX

Hi I am working on LINUX shell scripting. I have root privileges and I know some basic root/admin commands like user creation, modification and so on. Till last week i was able to create users but now i am not able to create users or groups. When I give the command i got an error as ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naina
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Root admin info

(Very New to UNIX- Solaris world) I have my Solaris 10 system built, and can login using root. This root user is a super type of admin user as I understand it. 1.My question is do UNIX admins usually use this account for all admin tasks or do they use another account similar to this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deedaz
2 Replies

3. Programming

C NTLM Authorization via HTTP

Greetings, I am writing a C socket application that needs NTLM authorization before it can post HTTP requests, and I am having trouble with NTLM authorization messages. :b: I've found the following urls extremely valuable for creating message functions: Davenport WebDAV-SMB Gateway... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: edvin
1 Replies

4. Gentoo

help|how to rest my password admin(root)

i have gentoo and i dont know what is my password user admin(root) how i can to rest my passord? thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: turivnkl
2 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read authorization for everybody on sub-directory owned by root

Hello. On my family laptop, I have a directory named /local. It is owned by root. I want to create a sub-directory named documents ( /local/documents ). I want to exclude exec for every body in that directory I want every authenticated linux user can create a sub directory ( ie :... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
7 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

8. AIX

Change "root" to "root.admin" in outgoing e-mails

Our AIX servers send e-mails which have the "from" address set to "root@company.com" for our root user ("C{M}company.com" in /etc/sendmail.cf). The problem is that when bad e-mails are sent out or rejected by remote servers, they are being returned and delivered to e-mail box of "Mary Root". ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kah00na
2 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)